• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
ybr1.jpg

5730052776_d2269692ea.jpg

Not really much comparison there, really ;)

Best we have in the Uk plus Towers and Sundown both use KD Decoratives alot for their themeing, the bookworm at Towers is made by them.

I would like to see this area to be themed around Narnia it could be nicely themed I would proffer theming in an area like this

I honestly don't think Merlin would allow Alton to do the IP justice. It'd cost an absolute fortune to create an area and rides themed to the Chronicles of Narnia. Only the likes of Disney and Universal could really do something decent with that IP.

Just look at Merlin's previous attempts at utilising an IP for their various attractions. They'd have to incorporate Adventure Land, Storybook Land and the Farm to get enough space and then they'd have to remove and retheme it all, add new attractions with the purchase of what is probably quite an expensive IP to start with.

Narnia, is so boring TBH they should theme Storybook Land to "Enchanted World" with it extended through the farm into Adventure Land, and Spinball should be re-themed to a acorn tree, and you've upset the Squirrel Nutty. Squirrel Nutty should be kept with the whole area themed to him. :)

Joseph said:
Narnia, is so boring TBH they should theme Storybook Land to "Enchanted World" with it extended through the farm into Adventure Land, and Spinball should be re-themed to a acorn tree, and you've upset the Squirrel Nutty. Squirrel Nutty should be kept with the whole area themed to him. :)

Indications at the moment suggest its an IP.

This is clearly a big project as it was first mentioned by the park in May, therefore they must have had an idea on the IP back then so it seems likely to be something big... Hopefully British

As much as I'd LOVE to see an IP of LOTRs/Hobbit it would just be so expensive to secure it let alone build it. The sheer cost involved to transform an area of Alton to resemble anything like Middle Earth would cost tens of millions. The detail required would be immense for it to be passable and acceptable.

It says a lot when another park across the world hasn't touched the idea despite it's popularity and potential.

We can dream though. Shire-esq Hobbit homes are good enough for now :)

Been thinking about IPs; does anybody think that Shaun the Sheep has the draw to attract people to the park? Granted, it's perhaps not as popular with children at the moment as, say, Peppa Pig but it's a genuinely quality TV show with broad appeal which fits in rather well with the current Farmyard area. I really think it's a concept which could be developed by the park if the rights could be obtained, and I'd imagine that it would be relatively cheap, too.

Chicken Run could also perhaps be incorporated into the new area (considering that it too is an Aardman production), being a popular children's film set on a farmyard (well... kinda). In a way it's just a shame that PBB are building a Wallace & Gromit ride, because I could imagine that an Aardman area as a whole would be pretty cool.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I don't really mind what they do to the farm much - but I really hope they don't mess with Storybook Land.

If it in't broke don't fix it.

:)

When was the last time you saw Storybook Land??

Storybook Land is still there! It's just never named as an area on the map for some reason. I personally would like to see the Farmyard left as it is. Then Adventure Land/Storybook Land merged as one new area, and the Storybook Land extended to this new area, with an IP that covers the theme.

My only worry about the Farmyard joining up with these two areas is the scale of the area! I somehow doubt Alton would cover such a large area with an IP.

OK not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but how about Horrible Histories land. Fits with the historic towers. I believe its a popular show. I am sure it has cheep IP.

stretchy said:
OK not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but how about Horrible Histories land. Fits with the historic towers. I believe its a popular show. I am sure it has cheep IP.

Sounds a bit more like a Warwick Castle or Camelot (RIP) IP - it'd require a lot of live shows and entertainment that would correlate with the TV series and the books. Live shows and entertainment that I can't imagine Merlin funding.

I'd just like to point out that this year SEA LIFE did a deal with Aardman - Timmy Time at selected SEA LIFE's in the UK and Birmingham SEA LIFE had Octonauts as well.

Although these are only midway remember its still Merlin! They could have been trialing to see which one is popular and more are set to arrive at SEA LIFE's next year especially SEA LIFE Birmingham.

The Psychoaster said:
Sounds a bit more like a Warwick Castle or Camelot (RIP) IP - it'd require a lot of live shows and entertainment that would correlate with the TV series and the books. Live shows and entertainment that I can't imagine Merlin funding.

Agreed. In fact I would consider it to be extremely likely that we'll see a Horrible Histories tie-in for Warwick Castle inside the next couple of years, possibly whenever it's finally decided that the lifespan of the 'Merlin Tower' is over, which honestly can't come soon enough. Horrible Histories would fit in so perfectly with the 'historic but fun' approach that Warwick seem to be taking on, based on the addition of the Dungeons.

Towers, though? I really don't see how it would fit in whatsoever.

Though am I almost certain we won't see anything like it, although not a fan of the series myself, I would love to see a Doctor Who themed area. It is a series that has proven to stand the test of time, appeals to multiple generations and will certainly have pulling power.

I would far prefer not to see an IP at all, but that has been proven to be what pulls in guests, with Thomas Land, Peppa Pig land etc. It's easier as there is already the brand awareness and children will latch on to certain IP's, increasing the chance of a secondary sale also.

Vicky said:
Though am I almost certain we won't see anything like it, although not a fan of the series myself, I would love to see a Doctor Who themed area. It is a series that has proven to stand the test of time, appeals to multiple generations and will certainly have pulling power.

I would far prefer not to see an IP at all, but that has been proven to be what pulls in guests, with Thomas Land, Peppa Pig land etc. It's easier as there is already the brand awareness and children will latch on to certain IP's, increasing the chance of a secondary sale also.

A Doctor Who area would perhaps have been brilliant a few years ago under RTD, but it's my understanding that Moffat's complicated writing and darker themes have put off most kids from watching it. I don't think now would be a good time to introduce a Doctor Who area based on that.

I've only ever seen Dr Who a few times, and they've been some of the newer episodes.. I certainly wouldn't imagine ANYONE would implement this theme in a family area based on the storylines I've experienced! Weeping Angels? Oh no thanks!

I personally wouldn't mind an IP if it meant a decent budget and attention to detail. I'm not an expert at what's 'trendy' with the younger generations, but I'm sure a bit of well targeted market research would soon sort that! Moshi Monsters take over The Farm? :p

I just hope that if it's an IP it is a respectable IP. And from a selfish point of view I'd rather it be one I actually know. I dread to think of the hours of sleep I know I'd lose if we got a Moshi Monsters IP!! :p

Rob said:
I just hope that if it's an IP it is a respectable IP. And from a selfish point of view I'd rather it be one I actually know. I dread to think of the hours of sleep I know I'd lose if we got a Moshi Monsters IP!! :p
There could be a strong possibility of that happening with February half term been based around it. And I've just start panicking :)

I just can't bare the thought of seeing the Farm, an area I adore, being ruined by an IP that is either rubbish, tacky, or just embarrassing! Drayton got it spot on with Thomas Land to be fair, it is a fantastic IP; respectable, well liked and somewhat classic. Towers would have to go for something along those lines for me to approve. CatCF for example is a very good IP for Towers, it just wasn't executed well.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.