• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
That CGI Peter Rabbit thing is the worst thing I've ever seen. Windows 2000 graphics. It's an insult to Beatrix Potter.

CGM said:
BigAl said:
Maybe so, but that might not be the case for much longer as Nickelodeon have been creating a new Peter Rabbit animated series since the end of last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/arts/television/peter-rabbit-on-nickelodeon-for-christmas-then-as-series.html?_r=0

The new look is much more appealing to kids used to shows on Cartoon Network, CBBC and Disney, etc... Just look at how great these look:

06RABBIT-articleLarge.jpg

jprabbit2-popup.jpg

It's not something that appeals just to kids as generations have grown-up with these stories and characters. I posted not long ago about the fact that over two million Beatrix Potter books are sold each year, and there's a lot of opportunities for merchandise with it all too. Nickelodeon are already used to working in theme parks and have already worked with Alton Towers once before.

But I've just remembered that staff from Alton Towers asked someone on here for their peter Rabbit on Ice footage not long ago. I wonder what that was for?

*crosses fingers* :p

No! A thousand times no! Why would anyone do that? Is there nothing that they won't reboot with a pointless CG animated version now? The whole appeal of Beatrix Potter's work and the brand associated with her is its classic, authentic feel. The stories and illustrations are timeless and don't require a tacky reinvention such as this.

It's taking classic children's literature and turning it into another expendable franchise that maybe has a shelf life of a decade or so. I would hate for Alton to use this sort of IP.

In fact, the top image reminds me of this:

watchmen-babies-in-v-for-vacation-large-high-res-comic-cover-updated.png

Oh, I do personally prefer the original stuff but I'm just trying to find a reason to a) bring back the Peter Rabbit Ice Show and b) keep Storybook Land (I seriously love the area's quaintness and it's one of the few rides that I went on as a child that's left :( ).

Tying it in doesn't mean retheming the area in the same tackier image as the modern cartoon though, it'd just be an excuse to have a Beatrix Potter area as it'd hook young children who have seen the show on Nickelodeon. Changing the area is the last thing I'm after (even though I usually don't mind change)! :p

But one thing we all need to remember is that sometimes an update is helpful to classics like these. Though people who are used to the original works might get a little upset, if it means introducing the next generation to her wonderful stories and illustrations, I wouldn't say no to them being animated for a kids cartoon.

Also, a shelf life of a decade is fine when you take a look at the other IPs that Alton Towers and Chessington introduce at the moment.

:)

Absolutely no chance of Beatrice Potter stuff.

Why would they go for a brand that isn't known by any young kids nowadays?

Johno said:

To make children become interested again which would be great, maybe? ;)

I'd love to see Beatrix Potter at Alton Towers. It would hopefully be a highly themed area with magic about it and it would be one step closer to having a 'Potter' area at a UK park. ;)

I think there's more chance of Alton Towers uprooting to Lake Windermere than Beatrix Potter coming to Storybook Land. :p

Johno said:

Because it's not unknown (hence the reason her works continue to sell so well), and it wouldn't require the area/s to have a huge retheme, thus saving money for new attractions (such as a kids coaster), a new show and TLC for what's already there?

I don't think it'll happen either. I'd like to think so, but then again, I'd said the same about SW7 and lap bars. :p

Adventure land should see a small family coaster like Troublesome Trucks and a bigger model of The beastie.

Change Squirrel nutty into Squirrel Nutkin.

--
Edit: Please remember to edit your original post to add further points etc, not double post - thank you! Ben

I can't see it myself, I just fear that particular IP is both out of date and being seen through rose tinted glasses. If it has to be an IP then a well known at present but long lasting IP such as Fireman Sam would do me just fine. The only problem being that it'd be practically impossible to avoid IPs.

I thought we all prefered original themes to IPs?

I can't see any kids giving half a hoot about Beatrix Potter. It's the sort of book you only get given by your gran because she liked it as a kid. Seems about as modern as the Famous five, Just William, and gollywogs to me. :/

If they do go for an IP, it'll no doubt be some passing fad like Mushy Monsters (or whatever it's called).

DiogoJ42 said:
I thought we all prefered original themes to IPs?
I think everyone does, but can anyone really see the park bothering to come up with something new and original to attract kids when it's so much easier to borrow someone else's ideas, dilute the theme to save money over going all-out to impress people with something in-house, but still maintain pulling-power because the brand is immediately recognisable? :/

As for a Beatrix Potter themed area, there's probably no chance of it happening. I don't think that'd be because it's not popular enough though because, though the creations aren't constantly plastered all over the TV and with 10000 different kinds of merchandise overflowing from every toy store like Angry Birds, it does still appeal to both young and old.

It's not just something that appeals to old people and that's why The World of Beatrix Potter attraction continues to expand and win many awards. It's why mini attractions pop-up at places like Tatton Park. It's why it can appear on Day-Break (more grown-up following), yet at the same time have an animated show for kids. The World of Beatrix Potter had a lot of coverage when people like Harry Styles and Taylor Swift visited too. And besides all of that, like I've already quoted once before, over 2 million Beatrix Potter books are sold a year.

I'm not saying that this is all the park can do with the area, I'm just concerned that one of the most picturesque parts of the park (and one of the first things that guests see) will be turned into something like Cloud Cukoo Land. There's nothing remotely magical about any of that.

If the park want to add something to appeal to families, a kids fad IP is only going to interest kids. 'Family' means more than that.

It's actually hard to think of which IP would be a big enough draw for kids, that hasn't already been taken. Unless Towers can get their hands on a big seller and do it well, they probably would be better off making their own. I'd like to see new mascots anyway.

Definitely think the way forward is a long standing IP which has a fair few options and can continue to grow without going old.

Looking at the IPs available, and the successes seem to be Nick and ThomasLand, therefore I think something alone a TV channel like CBBC/CITV or a television production like HiT entertainment or Aardman.

Would it be possible or worth it if the park actually developed Storybook Land into a real land of different stories? I was just browsing through a list of 100 popular children's stories on this website and there are a good few in there that could work if the stories could be told through a theme park experience of some kind.

That way whenever a story looses popularity a single attraction, or a small area within an area, can be updated with a new story as opposed to one IP loosing appeal and causing the whole area at Alton Towers to loose its appeal also. There could be attractions and themes for many tastes, just like there are different cartoons at Nickelodeon Land, except Alton Towers could pursue more charming stories rather than painting everything in bright colours and making the area a horrible mish-mash of wildly contrasting ideas (i.e. Cloud Cukoo Land :p ).

Though kids would probably loose interest if someone mentioned 'educational' to them, introducing children to a wide selection of story-based attractions might persuade more kids to pick up books and buy others (merchandise opportunity? :p ). There's no reason why learning can't go hand-in-hand with fun (if it can be done properly). Just as the Farmyard used to have a more educational side with the animals in and around the building where Berry Bish Bash is now, Storybook Land could evolve into an area that maintains its charm and concept but takes on a more educational aspect with a heavier reliance on story books.

A new Storybook Land could continue to appeal to both young and old, and the more magical aspects (such as the trees for the entrance, the ponds, bridges and old shop that isn't currently used) can be kept or be further expanded upon.

So long as it isn't Cloud Cukoo Land 2 and the attractions and stories flow, I can't see why something like that wouldn't work. Or is that all boring and not Cartoon Network enough? :p

Id love to see the park develop their own IP to build around, but the park lacks identity to be able to develop anything that the general public would want to come and see. The UK's idea of escapism is hugely different to that of the rest of Europe and America. They want to escape into world's that children see on a daily basis, not something unfamiliar to them.

Beatrix Potter is too dated and the brand isn't fresh enough to use. Henry Hound was hated by late Tussauds'/early Merlin management. Whatever it is, it'll be of the same ilk as Nickelodeon land. I just hope enough effort is put in rather than some 2D facades and characters placed in an existing environment

I think children's areas suit an IP, but it should be a classically British IP, not some plastic American thing (like Shrek).

A well presented sympathetic IP is fine by me.

It'll be ultimately a marketing decision, as they'll require the land to bring people in now and continue to in the future.

An IP seems the only way for almost surefire success in family areas. As long as it's the right IP, there'll be less work to do and it'll be rewarding for both partners then.

Least this shouldn't be awful Shrek land. Hopefully.

Guess I'm one of the few that think Beatrix Potter would be spot on for Alton.

As long as it was done properly, not that hideous CGI thing from a page back.

Blaze said:
Guess I'm one of the few that think Beatrix Potter would be spot on for Alton.

As long as it was done properly, not that hideous CGI thing from a page back.

I think, if done properly, it could be fantastic. Like I've said previously, the area already lends itself to Beatrix Potter fairly well, and would just need a few additions here and there without much effort. Something like a Peter Rabbit-themed dark ride would be a great idea. Beatrix Potter already has links with Alton Towers as well, so it would certainly deliver a nostalgia kick.

My issue, however, is that I doubt it would be a runaway success along the lines of Peppa Pig World at Paultons, or Thomas Land at Drayton Manor. That's because it's not really an 'in' thing with children. Sure, they'd love the stories, but kids like franchises where they can watch the TV show, buy the toys, get the other assorted collectables and so on. The more a franchise can branch out, the more children love it. Kids are fairly materialistic like that, and always have been.

It's the kind of place that parents will take kids to, but not where kids will offer to do all their chores for months just to visit. In an ideal world, you'd want a franchise that does both - like Thomas. Beatrix Potter is more like one of those things that's 'nice', and not really the best thing ever.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.