• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Re: Resort Lodge Development

Ultimately, the aesthetics of both Alton Towers bars comes down to bad design of the hotels when they were first conceived.

The absolute lack of planning in terms of design of the hotels is incredible really. The total lack of space or lack of space for extension of bar areas is a bit ridiculous really.

AstroDan said:
Ultimately, the aesthetics of both Alton Towers bars comes down to bad design of the hotels when they were first conceived.

But Dragon Bar had a really classy chinese chinoiserie theme back in the day?

Even Ma Garrita's was pretty good before they turned half of it into a chlidren's lego sand pit.

They wont open Dragon Bar late due to the noise, Margs is the late bar as it's located further from the rooms.

As for the refurb here is a before and after

dragon05.jpg

WP_20131112_14_04_37_Pro.jpg

Certainly the bar front is nicer on the older style, but on the new bar there is actually more detail including the bar canopy and the dragon statues at either end. The rest of the room didn't really change much.

Anyway this is way off topic.

Alton Towers bars are what I imagine bars in Butlins to be like. There is no attempt at sophistication or escapism, but instead they pump as much pop music and other ways of keeping children busy as they can, and keep it going all night. There seem to be blinkers on when it comes to the idea of 'family entertainment' and it always comes down to entertaining kids.

EP bars and there is hardly ever a child in sight. The service is generally much more personal, and the choice of drink becomes an experience in itself.

I like the decor of Dragon Bar. But Margs is awful, and this is due to the hotel theme. There is little chance that this new development will encourage any different approach to evening entertainment, particularly as the theme is again targeted to the pre teen audience

Scott said:
The absolute lack of planning in terms of design of the hotels is incredible really. The total lack of space or lack of space for extension of bar areas is a bit ridiculous really.

I think the Alton Towers hotel was built like a traditional hotel with bars that open out onto the reception/lobby areas. Then they realised they need something for guests in the evening and added entertainment on the ship changing the area. They could of learnt lessons and applied these to the building of Splash Landings but didn't. Splash needed the bar and then a wholly separate Kids Club. It's the entertainment offerings that a wrong not the bars themselves really. They could get kids entertainment right by doing an outdoor kids club at the new lodges with a separate adults bar.

This is why I don't know why the new lodges don't have a proper bar with them, and not just a small restaurant. Why not build a pub on site somewhere near (ish) to the lodges, that sells pub food and is open late for quite drinks, just have a bit of music playing, no entertainment, and idealy not aimed for children at night. Theme it to look old to fit in with the area and to fit in with the lodges.

Otherwise in a couple of years this new restaurant and all the current ones will be full just like they are already. They should plan these places to expand, that is where they went massively wrong with ATH (you can let them off a bit with that as it was 1996 and the first hotel), but there is no excuse for the many design flaws with Splash Landings.

What will happen is a small stage will get shoe-horned into the corner of the new restaurant. A control panel will be put on the other side of the room and the result will be the same as what you get now with both hotels at peak times. Rammed full of kids with loud music playing and no where to sit and have a quiet drink.

Lets not forget the welcoming staff in Dragon bar at bang on 12 (or earlier) when they chuck you out of the bar, all nice and classy.

Dragon Bar is the more grown up area, and come 11pm is much more grown up - it should stay open for an adult only audience - chilled out music (and quiet so people can talk) and then just serve a little later and be welcoming - as most places are when you are offering them money.

I personally HATE Ma'Garritas, the staff are ALWAYS miserable, to order a pint takes several eons, the music is bad, come late in the night it is still full of children, security tend to loiter around making it an unwelcoming environment.

Im a parent, we take our kids to the resort and even they dont like Ma'Garritas, they would sooner be sat in the atrium of ATH as 'its much nicer' to quote my daughter at 7 years old.
I know this may surprise people but sometimes families on a break might enjoy abit of a quiet time to sit and chat and catch up. Children do not need 'inyerface' entertainment every waking hour, and parents might appreciate an hour or two of quiet time too.
Not a difficult concept.

I still can't fathom why people would want to spend a good amount of money on a lodge or tree-house in this type of setting with direct access to fresh air, comfort and the ability to bring your own reasonably priced drinks, then want to go and sit in an expensive bar instead? I can be a strange person at times, but I'm finding this one quite hard to understand ;)

Lets be honest the facilities at the Alton Towers Hotel/Splash Landings are lacklustre and easily comparable to those found in a budget hotels. Not much thought, quite basic, investment only where it's deemed completely necessary.

It's not just Alton Towers it's the world we live in today - ensure people are happy, why exceed peoples expectations at a cost?

The picture of the restaurant posted shows no character - it looks extremely manufactured, reminiscent of a Starbucks in comparison to say a more independent successful cosmopolitan coffee shop (Using this as an example to illustrate my point).

thatchers3.jpg

The quite frankly absurd price of the food/drink they serve here (for me anyway) would be an afterthought.

There are so many things to weigh up when implementing anything - cost, running cost, ease for staff, customer satisfaction. Often finding a happy medium means putting in place something that stinks of mediocre rigid corporate culture - no imagination or substance.

AirFAN said:
Lets be honest the facilities at the Alton Towers Hotel/Splash Landings are lacklustre and easily comparable to those found in a budget hotels. Not much thought, quite basic, investment only where it's deemed completely necessary.

I don't know which "budget" hotels you've stayed in but I've certainly never stayed in what I would call a budget hotel with the level of facilities that Splash/ATH have. Sure they leave a lot to be desired in some respects and vast improvements are needed but I think saying what you have is slightly unfair.

:)

BarryZola said:
I still can't fathom why people would want to spend a good amount of money on a lodge or tree-house in this type of setting with direct access to fresh air, comfort and the ability to bring your own reasonably priced drinks, then want to go and sit in an expensive bar instead? I can be a strange person at times, but I'm finding this one quite hard to understand ;)

I understand your point, but that would be the same as saying why do people go to the pub when they can sit in their garden/a park and drink their own beverages.

Part of 'going away' for me is not doing the norm (not suggesting its normal for me to drink in a park :) ) but drinking a draught pint for example rather than pre-contained alcohol. Not to mention I quite like the atmosphere of a bar, it's got the 'not at home' appeal to me and I think it's always good to be around other people all having a good time. Just to clarify, I don't dislike 'home,' but trips away are infrequent enough to still feel 'special' and enjoying a drink together is part of that. Of course in a bar/pub you are still sharing the time with your party/family too. You can still talk together, or do whatever you can do at home; play cards for example, if you so wish.

Everyone is different, which is why you posted the above presumably, I am just adding an opposing opinion. :)

I agree with the above sentiments really. When I'm away I like to partake in things different from the 'norm' and although being in a large group and chilling out with some beers in a lodge would be fun - it would feel like something I could do at home with mates in my living room.

When I'm away I like to go to a bar and have a nice drink from the tap - rather than just buy some cans from the nearest supermarket and drink them in a room.

I get both sides though.

Well, we're all different people and have our varying preferences, which is fair enough.

Personally though, I would feel that the experience of the lodge had been wasted a bit if all I used it for was to sleep in after getting wasted in a nearby bar. If I was going to spend all day in the theme park then all evening/night in a bar then I would probably just book the cheapest nearby hotel room to go to sleep in afterwards.

Each to their own though :)

Personaly when I'm away I like to do something that I really can't do at home. Which is why I don't bother grabbing a drink but go out exploring instead.

That's why rather than another bar I'd rather see more alternative evening activities.

If it is anything like the concept then it will be stunning!

:)