• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Re: Resort Lodge Development

The concept artwork looks a little 1980s children's play park to me, but it's cool, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

I hope the normal lodges turn out to look more like the concepts in the old plan.

The wooden clading looks nice but it's not as interesting as the fairytale hobbit theme.

Must admit I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the artists impression, I love the idea of treehouses, but I think Diogo is right (and perhaps even slightly optimistic still haha).

What I dislike about the site is the fact that a 3rd hotel won't be able to interconnect with the other 2 now. It was pretty neat being able to go from Splash to ATH without stepping outside, and having a 3rd hotel added on to that would have been quite special.

Also doesn't make sense to me that this development would offer less accommodation space. With a hotel they'd get more rooms, and surely more revenue?

PeteB said:
What I dislike about the site is the fact that a 3rd hotel won't be able to interconnect with the other 2 now. It was pretty neat being able to go from Splash to ATH without stepping outside, and having a 3rd hotel added on to that would have been quite special.

Also doesn't make sense to me that this development would offer less accommodation space. With a hotel they'd get more rooms, and surely more revenue?

Even if a hotel had gone where the lodges are going i doubt it would have directly connected as they need to be able to get emergency service access behind the hotel.

I reckon there is still room for a hotel in a few locations.

ATH and splash landings are hardly 'connected' though. A walkway could be constructed to anywhere, within reason, quite easily. A tunnel even. I'm with Pete in that it is nice to be able to walk between the hotels without going outside. Maybe even a 'themed' tunnel or walkway could be implemented if the 3rd hotel wasn't directly next to the existing two.

smudge said:
ATH and splash landings are hardly 'connected' though. A walkway could be constructed to anywhere, within reason, quite easily. A tunnel even. I'm with Pete in that it is nice to be able to walk between the hotels without going outside. Maybe even a 'themed' tunnel or walkway could be implemented if the 3rd hotel wasn't directly next to the existing two.

There is the walkway above the Water Park, That provides easy indoor access between the two Hotels.

Tuggerz said:
smudge said:

There is the walkway above the Water Park, That provides easy indoor access between the two Hotels.

Thanks for clarifying, perhaps I was hoping that the above statement had done just that though :D

My point was that a 3rd hotel wouldn't need to be directly next to an existing one to be 'connected' by a walkway, much like ATH & SLH really, as there is a waterpark between them after-all. A tunnel would still allow emergency access too.

smudge said:
Tuggerz said:
smudge said:

Thanks for clarifying, perhaps I was hoping that the above statement had done just that though :D

My point was that a 3rd hotel wouldn't need to be directly next to an existing one to be 'connected' by a walkway, much like ATH & SLH really, as there is a water park between them after-all. A tunnel would still allow emergency access too.

That makes more sense now that you've emphasised parts of the post, Apologies for not recognising beforehand.
I do agree that it would be good to have a tunnel for emergency access, I'd like it to be non visible though, Partially due to the charm I think that could come from these lodges if they're implemented in a way that's separate from the other hotels. If you catch my drift?

Tuggerz said:
That makes more sense now that you've emphasised parts of the post, Apologies for not recognising beforehand.
I do agree that it would be good to have a tunnel for emergency access, I'd like it to be non visible though, Partially due to the charm I think that could come from these lodges if they're implemented in a way that's separate from the other hotels. If you catch my drift?

No worries :)

Yes, that would be great, the tunnel could have a themed entrance, like a cave/burrow maybe? It would definitely encourage more spending on resort for the people in the lodges if not just used for emergencies, more of a experience in itself, much like the skywalk, which I love.

Just checked the Planning Portal, and we have a date for when the Planning Committee is scheduled to meet and decide on whether to give this application the green light. It's this coming Thursday (1st May). Here's to hoping everything goes according to plan!

I had a wander down to the lodge site on Monday, just to see if any preliminary ground works were happening. As I guessed nothing was going on! Although there were metal markers in the ground at certain points of the site (might mean nothing).

Standing from the hotels car park it will be interesting to see the lodges there. I'm quite looking forward to watching the construction of them!

I hope though that Towers look into some traffic management for the hotels and lodges. Day guests tend to use the hotel car parks at the moment, it will only cause more problems when parking is built for lodges.

It's probably just not been updated yet. I am certain that this will have got planning permission, there is no reason for it not to have.

:)

There was a meeting yesterday to discuss the application, presumably among other applications across the Staffordshire Moorlands. Given that there's now info on Towers' website, it leads me to believe that planning permission has probably been granted, although the SMDC portal hasn't yet been updated.

I think it's safe to assume permission has been granted. From what I've heard there were little to no complaints and the only objections were from English Heritage. Alton Towers have played it safe so I cannot see any reasons why it would be refused.

The portal will take a week or so to be updated (that's the usual case after planning committees).

It's advertised on AT.com homepage so that's that, 2015 we finally see new accommodation at Alton Towers! :D

TowersStreet News - Alton Towers Enchanted Village Comes Closer to Reality

So after reading through all the documents we could find from yesterdays meeting it does seem more or less confirmed that it's going ahead, especially considering that the park themselves have tied themselves to it by displaying them on their homepage.

I expect we'll see the portal itself updated within the next couple of days to reflect what the details from the committee are saying (Approved with Conditions).

I can't wait to see it all unfold :D

Not very keen on this, if I'm honest. I think the plans look a bit rubbish and dated before they've even been built; and not in a cute way like the original application. The name is a bit average and the font they've chosen on the initial advertisement is tacky (I know it won't stick for long, but it still sucks).

Yet to be impressed.

DiogoJ42 said:
What the concept looks like:

1958182_710125869018594_889830520_n.jpg

What we will get:

porch+007.JPG

Come on you know that the second picture is nothing like it will end up.

Where are the railings, the hiviz jackets, the notices about being careful at the great height of 3 feet of the ground, the hard hats and climbing harnesses you have to wear while inside the "tree house"

I doubt it will look as epic as the concepts but they have to appear as they do in the planning documents so i have hope for this. Also unlike rides these things keep bringing in income so Merlin will spend (plus they have competition in this market with Centreparcs ect).