• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Re: Resort Lodge Development

I wouldn't worry too much about the font used or the name at the moment. It's May 2014 and there will be little over a year until this opens. The marketing team have probably only just started working on a brand image so what they've put up now if very much a 5 minute job to make the public aware of the development. The name, fonts and everything else will no doubt change and evolve over the coming months.

Excellent! These should look really good...

Alton Towers' website said:
...children’s play areas and a brand new themed restaurant featuring family entertainment.

...and who can argue with increased resort entertainment offerings? ;)

Still wouldn't have minded seeing a combination of a new hotel with cabins / tents (think 'glamping') with a Thorpe dome-sized food and entertainment complex added, but this will do.

Can't say at this point i'm that excited.

That concept image doesn't interest me much, just a load of plain wooden lodges in a field.

Would be much more interested if I thought we were getting that fairytale hobbit theme like what was shown in the original plans.

Yes, but that would have cost more. :p

BigAl said:

There where 4 hobbit type lodges in the old plans and they had to retract said plans due to complaints. Personally the tree houses look more interesting than a building with a round door.

They should, but then, who in the UK would go 'all-out'? Remember, this isn't mainland Europe! ;)

Dave said:
BigAl said:

There where 4 hobbit type lodges in the old plans and they had to retract said plans due to complaints. Personally the tree houses look more interesting than a building with a round door.

Oh come on! That wasn't their only feature! Not complaining about these, but the other plans had more charm than these "tree houses". The original plans had gardens with each hut, wonky chimneys and roofs, rustic wooden beams and fences. They actually looked like they were for a theme park like Alton Towers!

Screenshot_3.png

4328150.jpg

Wasn't a fan of these though:

4328053.jpg

From memory the main lodges in both sets of plans are pretty much the same. I've not double checked recently so I could be wrong but I really don't remember them being massively different.

:)

BigAl said:
They should, but then, who in the UK would go 'all-out'? Remember, this isn't mainland Europe! ;)

Dave said:
BigAl said:

Oh come on! That wasn't their only feature! Not complaining about these, but the other plans had more charm than these "tree houses". The original plans had gardens with each hut, wonky chimneys and roofs, rustic wooden beams and fences. They actually looked like they were for a theme park like Alton Towers!

Screenshot_3.png

The lodges on the current plans look a lot like that image above, i;m talking about the hobbit holes.

EDIT: Here are the current Standard lodges plan:

lodge-plan-300x219.png

Even so, the hobbit hole style accommodation would have been really fun! The insides would have also been interesting due to the shape of the roof, and I assume there would have been more familiar features. The tops of the buildings would have looked wonderful as well.

Either way, at least we're now getting some expansion of the resort. :)

Yeah yeah yeah, new restaurant with 'family entertainment' for kids, great.

Why don't they build something for adults too?

Personally the Tree houses look to have more about them, i could see the hobbit holes been over priced for what you got which was a standard lodge with grass on the roof.

Obviously this all depends on Merlin building something like the concept suggests.... We will see!

And Sam the ATH extension and Spa plans suggest that will be aimed at the Adult market. Wouldn't surprise me if the ATH extension gets branded as a 3rd hotel with reception at the new Spa entrance.

I think one of the most important parts of this development is the PLAY AREAS! Although I expect it will be outdoors.

The ship in ATH is NOT a play area!

I think it's bonkers that there isn't a proper indoor play area in the hotels. It would help solve the ship problems, kids belting up and down corridors, etc.

Perhaps these new developments will draw the kids away from the bars? I don't know whether it was just me, but I know that when I was little, a big outdoor adventure playground sounded more appealing than a bar full of adults? :p

BigAl said:
Perhaps these new developments will draw the kids away from the bars? I don't know whether it was just me, but I know that when I was little, a big outdoor adventure playground sounded more appealing than a bar full of adults? :p

When I was a kid you were not allowed in bars or pubs!

Dave said:
Wouldn't surprise me if the ATH extension gets branded as a 3rd hotel with reception at the new Spa entrance.
Is the ATH extending? I thought it was just the Spa?

It's a hotel extension, of which they've had planning permission for years. The spa extension is separate although the spa application shows that they intend on linking the spa extension to the hotel extension - going down the spa break route.

The thing is with the Hotels is that they are Alton Towers biggest money maker, They will definitely want to push cash into this for an outstanding product.

I'll of course reserve judgement until they open, but I have very high hopes for this, I reckon they'll look outstandingly beautiful.

I hope these look nice.....and I hope they are correctly priced!