• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
TowersStreet have reported on Twitter that Sonic, Enterprise and Oblivion have all reopened. :)

ridetimes.co.uk is reporting a zero minute queue for Oblivion and Spinball, so they are open but quiet! Air however seems to have got a 50 minute queue. They just need to get Sub-Terra open...

Excellent news! I had a feeling they would open very soon. There were staff around Spinball yesterday and there's only so much the HSE can do on site in X-Sector.

EDIT:

It appears that despite X-Sector and Sonic re-opening, the Towers remain closed for "Scarefest preparations". Either we are in for one heck of a Scarefest (they normally close mid to late August) or it's not the real reason. I am very disappointed though, yet another year when the Towers have hardly been open. I do hope English Heritage become aware of this is they are not already.

:)

Last edited:
glad things are back to normal and the media hype has for now calmed. Being at the park will be like a journey back through time, to 2012 pre smiler/sub-terra. Hurahh

The Towers seem to be closed all the time these days.

As easy as it is for them to use the Towers for two mazes I wish they'd look into other solutions that doesn't result in the whole of the Towers being closed to the public.

Alton Towers should be doing all they can to promote the Towers and Gardens. The Towers being shut so much of the time is not good for this - it won't do them favours with SMDC either.

Hopefully the towers will re open, they only closed when the smiler crash happened. I highly doubt they are closed because of scarefest, as they don't normally have a staff member stood there not letting you in!

It's good to see the majority of rides now open again, they just need to sort out sub terra, that's been closed for a good few weeks now!

Towers said on Twitter today that they are closed for Scarefest preparations. Hopefully that was a piece of wrong information by the social media team.

I'm not convinced that the Towers are closed for Scarefest preparations this early on - they're normally open for a few more weeks, if my memory serves me correctly. A few of us on park yesterday mentioned that it's probably due to the incident with The Smiler that they're closed.

Well the towers closed the day of the accident as far as I'm aware. And have remained closed since (unless they have now opened?).

Also if they were closed for scarefest they wouldn't have a staff member blocking the entrance all the time, as they never normally do.

In the past scarefest preparations are usually the end of August. However it has been earlier the past few years (God knows why, they must know how to build TOTT without any instructions by now! And 99% of Sanctuary is left up all the time.

Went a couple of weeks ago and the towers were shut then. Ok not really sure if I was ment to but came of hex and saw that there was no staff (even though there was signs up and I had seen staff earlier) so I had a look around. Saw lots of things that look like scarefest, but nothing specific. Lights, decorations, last year's signs. There was a couple of boxes that were opened but really didn't want to touch anything. Going to take pictures but heard someone coming and ran. Never actually been to scarefest no wouldn't recognise props.

Looks like sub terra has reopened.

It didn't last - it closed at around 12.30 and didn't reopen. The new restraints are extremely restrictive and many people had to get off, including people in our group who had ridden before with no issues.

Well that seems well thought through. Sounds like it's going to cause them a lot of issues going forward.

Anything else changed on the ride. Never been on it before. Been on the one at the dungeon and that is ment to be the same and that was fine with a lap bar. Have they put test seats outside.
On the website it doesn't say anything about it being restrictive.

Why exactly have they done this, was there any issue before?

Presumably because with the single lap restraint for the whole carriage if you have a particularly large person in with a skinny person, the bar doesn't really get down to the skinny person. So when the carriage drops the skinny person will come right out of the seat. I have experienced this personally and it wasn't particularly comfortable. I would guess that some people have complained about this happening and it has had that many complaints that they have done something about it.

Notice on the towers saying they are closed for Scarefest preparations... So soon? Is there something new and exciting coming?!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.