• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Tree Top Quest

The Transport Statement explains this is something to satisfy resort guests rather than a major attraction to pull in customers.
Transport Statement said:
The proposed High Ropes course is predominately being provided as a
supplementary attraction for guests staying at the Resort hotels or lodges.
It is not expected that the attraction will generate any additional traffic and,
in fact, it is likely to retain guests in the accommodation on site for longer
and therefore reduce vehicle trips on the adjacent highway network.

Does it have to draw people to the resort? That seems like a very Merlin-ish view to me. Simply adding something extra for people who are staying over is surely what we all want to see?
Well yes, as otherwise I don't see it being a popular and worthwhile attraction at all. The resort is stale, with very little to do, and this doesn't tick that box as it's something you can do anywhere, not in this 'land of escapism'

I'll judge whether its bland or not when it opens. Granted, these things are everywhere, but I don't seem much harm in this existing - so long as its not advertised as the 'big thing of 2015'. The resort has been dying for things to do, and whilst this isn't in the list of things the resort actually needs - more bars, restaurants and indoor children's play areas, to say the least - it doesn't seem a bad addition at all.

Out of interest, what would you suggest they were to add as an extra acitivity to the resort that would be of a similar price and take up a similar amount of a guest's time?
:)

I dunno mate, maybe a bowling alley or something? At least it's something people can do indoors, year round (as opposed to high ropes and golf which may get used for 3-4 months of the year), and would likely be rammed most of the time - and we all know how much Merlin love the P's.

Ok, that's probably a bit more expensive to build but still a little bit of theming and imagination wouldn't go amiss with this high ropes course. If they could theme a kiddies coaster go through the trees (squirrel nutty) then surely they could do it with this too?

Crazy Golf and High Ropes are not bad in their own right, but the hotel areas don't exactly get the footfall of say a year round a seaside destination like Blackpool. I've seen more people using Blackpool's crazy golf courses on quiet days than I ever have at Alton on busy days. They tried altering the route to the monorail so more people would walk past Golf, but you still don't exactly see people flocking to it.

I've got nothing against go ape type attractions, and they are my cup of tea to a certain extent but to say this addition to Alton Towers' Resort is "crap" is being polite at best. But, that's only my opinion. :p

These kinds of activities go hand in hand with cabin type holidays, so it's a bit of a no brainer.
Any addition to the resort area has to be a bonus though, surely?
I would use it, assuming it was priced realistically against similar things (we'll see about that one!)

It is all well and good having crazy golf at the exit of the monorail. However i have never played it, I want to and every time i get to it after a day on park it booming closed.

I think some people are overthinking this, it is a small extra attraction so that guests can better enjoy two full days at the parks.

For example a day in the summer holidays,
9am, arrive and check in to hotel
10am, get to theme park
6pm, leave theme park, take monorail, maybe check Towers trading on the way out
6:30pm, get to hotel room & change,
6:45pm have dinner at Flambo's
8:00pm, Try to play Extraordinary golf (as it a nice warm summer evening) but find it is shut already.
8:15pm, realise all there is to do is watch the singer in the hotel.
11pm, bed after a nice long day of theme parking and golfing
(of course if the golf were open until a reasonable time during the summer it could be 9:30pm, return to bar for hotel entertainment after 18 holes of golf)
day two
8:30am, get up for breakfast
9:30am, go to the waterpark
2pm lunch
3pm high ropes course
4pm drive home

Looking at planning documents the high ropes course will be themed as far as possible, the buildings will be in the same style as the lodges.

@delta79 it needs a revamp.

It takes a little while to get around though, but I did have fun with it when I did it, I think it's utterly wasted as it is. They could do much more with it and make it a real giggle.

Put something in there to make it a bit more exciting, and advertise it a little more, (AHEM MARKETING) and perhaps OPEN IT A BIT LATER (it's got Floods if I remember correctly for goodness sake!)

Just another example of baffling decisions.

Yeah, get the golf open longer, keep everything fixed and update it!

I haven't had a round on the golf for years now. It feels very stale, with old themed holes that only make sense to the regular guest or enthusiast (useless for your casual guests), effects were broken, theming broken, paint fading away, rubbish scattered everywhere... I used to have a round at least once a year, now I just go home earlier and leave it.

When it first opened it was awesome!!

They only need to refresh a couple of the holes (forgotten what themes are there now) and freshen it up, but it's the same old Merlin crap of leaving it to rot.

As far as I've seen in the planning documents, the High Ropes course will be open 10am - 6pm during daylight hours only (restricted therefore in winter).

Prehaps they're going to see what the demand is, and prehaps extend opening hours according to demand?

I'm no planning expert but I was always under the impression that attractions can only open between the hours they're granted in planning permission... They can request extended hours but there's no guarantee they'll be granted (hence Scarefest attractions have separate planning applications).