• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm sure I read why on here, but what was the reason for the VR rumours? Just think about how dire the throughput would be trying to do this. Air currently passes directly overhead meaning that extra time would be needed to make sure these headsets wouldn't come off. Battery in them would be awful, a huge number would be required and just generally I can't see how it would or even could work. Station improvements to change a story line or theming to more a spacey idea would work, VR would not.

Because it has been marketed as a new experience, the only thing that they could do with the ride to make it an exciting new experience would be to add VR. And given that VR has started to be used on coasters, and confirmation that it will be used on a UK coaster this year it all adds up.
Also when you think about what is being added to the queue line. A photo opportunity spot, there won't be any point with on-ride photos as everyone will be wearing headsets but they don't want to lose the money they would get from people buying them so the queue line photo replaces that. Then there is the pre-show, presumably this is where you will collect the headset and be shown how to use it.
When you think about what changes we know about from the plans and what is happening elsewhere with VR on coasters it is the only thing that makes sense. I don't think just adding new themeing would be worthy of an announcement at the Science Museum.

I cant see it working at all,
- either they strap a headset on you before taking a seat, so you cant see where your going, fall over and break your ass
- If you don't break your ass and get in a seat then try and pull the restraints down over a bulky think on your head. aint gonna happen
- Get seated then they plonk a thing on your head and pull the straps tight, chair assumes the position and the headset falls off.
gonna be a disaster :rolleyes:

I cant see it working at all,
- either they strap a headset on you before taking a seat, so you cant see where your going, fall over and break your ass
- If you don't break your ass and get in a seat then try and pull the restraints down over a bulky think on your head. aint gonna happen
- Get seated then they plonk a thing on your head and pull the straps tight, chair assumes the position and the headset falls off.
gonna be a disaster :rolleyes:
The only way I could see it working is if the headset is attached to the train and you pull down the restraint and then you can pull down the headset. This would make boarding quicker and eliminate the possibility of it falling off.

Although I don't know how possible this would be

As far as I'm aware, the VR headsets will connected to the restraint which should make throughout easier and quicker. I've also heard using VR on the ride will be optional too hopefully.

Trying to keep open minded about this development, though the outcome I reckon will either be the changes are very good or very disappointing.

Whilst other rides like Rita (yuck) were crying for updates and Air was probably one of the coasters in a better condition, it does feel a ride that's never been properly finished & is overlooked in popularity by other coasters (even Rita).

So if the headsets are attached to the restraints, will they be touching other rider's faces? Will they be cleaned between cycles if so? Kinda neuters any gains made by having them attached!

Marketing people aren't very literal in what they say. An 'exciting new experience' or whatever they have come up with could literally just be a new name. It's new because you've never been on *New name* before. An announcement at the science museum could just be a good way to bring the theming closer to the ride surely? Either way, if it is optional VR then i'll be giving it a miss.

I'm interested in seeing how they deliver the VR experience.

If the screens are attached to the restraints, surely it won't be as immersive as wearing a headset over your eyes? As a screen attached to a restraint will need to leave room for people of all shapes, sizes and heights... leading to light leaks all around the screen.

How would it work if they're optional too? I imagine it would cause a fair bit of faff.

Given Merlin's history of delivering new rides/themes, I'm not that excited for this, but I'm interested in seeing how it will work and how it will be executed.

I understand that Merlin's reputation around these parts is pretty much rock bottom and each decision and announcement that they make is met with the usual boring round of cynicism, before the facts are even known (see the past 20+ pages).

However, I would put it to you that Merlin are pretty good when it comes to ride systems and shifting people (although people may bemoan the actual experience). The only ride that has irked me capacity wise has been Storm Surge and to be fair, that's not really a big issue considering its standing in Thorpe's line up.

With the above in mind, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that a lot of what is being discussed has been solved, to a degree and it won't nearly be as 'bad' as is being made out. I have a lot of faith in them in that regard and a lot of faith in Mack too.

The negativity based on evaluating little more than rumour is exhausting - let's see what the announcement brings.

Merlin are pretty good when it comes to ride systems and shifting people (although people may bemoan the actual experience). The only ride that has irked me capacity wise has been Storm Surge and to be fair, that's not really a big issue considering its standing in Thorpe's line up.
You've obviously not been to Chessington for a while, throughputs over there have been pretty poor for the past few years, particularly on the Vampire.

I've got to say though, Alton Towers has always had excellent throughputs even on busier days.

They could do what they do in Europa where you have to pay for the VR experience and you book a time slot for when you want to ride

They could do what they do in Europa where you have to pay for the VR experience and you book a time slot for when you want to ride

I think if that were to be the case, then it would be among the most unpopular things ever to be introduced in the park. Especially given the hype they appear to be creating around this transformation.

You've obviously not been to Chessington for a while, throughputs over there have been pretty poor for the past few years, particularly on the Vampire.

I've got to say though, Alton Towers has always had excellent throughputs even on busier days.
I was referring to rides that Merlin have installed / upgraded, but absolutely - Vampire is indeed poor throughput wise, but there are reasons for that.

If it were to be VR I think it would need to be free and a normal part of the ride but also not compulsory to use VR.

At DisneyQuest in DisneyWorld I remember putting on a "helmet" that was adjustable whilst in the batching area. Then once in the area for the VR game the assistant attached the screen to the helmet. Means less adjustment needed when seated so a quicker turn-round. Also I think the helmet things were then wiped out with anitbacterial wipes before being returned back to the front of the queue.

I heard a rumour it was going to be a sort of hood thing which came down as you pulled the restraint down, so it wouldnt actually be touching your face, but you would be looking down into it and it would have a 180 degree view to your left and right. Not sure how this would work though or how good it would be, particularly if someone throws up into it lol

Not sure how this would work though or how good it would be, particularly if someone throws up into it lol

I would hope they would have a quick wash system. like two ports, one at the top for antibacterial wash to go in and a drain plug at the bottom (closed during ride) for the vomit and antibacterial wash to come out of into a receiving vessel.

Enough of the bad VIBES. Ugh.
When merlin have a ride that isn't likely to fail, we won't criticize. (Can't speak for myself as I've never tried it) but quite a few members have been on VR alpen express, and it kills the throughput as well as not being as good an experience.

Enough of the bad VIBES. Ugh.

I am not usually negative, in fact I am not necessarily against the idea of VR. However it is very likely if the screens are installed on the crafts/restraints that Merlin will install them and walk away without even a second thought for how they should be maintained or a plan to ensure they are all working. I would love to be proven wrong.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.