• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
...and like many have said before. Wardley is not the be-all and end-all to a great ride.

He's had some hits, but a few misses too.

AT need to work with the Manufacturer and play to the strengths of what they are capable of, rather than shoe-horning a design - (cost or the dreaded worlds first nonsense.)

Under what premise can the ride be considered a disaster when we know nothing about it? It doesn't have to be a cross valley coaster for it to be mind blowing, they learnt that the crazy way back in 1994.

I am confident that cross valley will never ever happen for a variety of reasons, the primary reasons being cost and the fact it would almost certainly not get planning permission!

That is not a bad thing, if Towers were to ever get a woodie then it could still be something special without it going across the valley. And as others have pointed out the initial cross valley layout was actually quite poor bar a couple of big drops.

I'd love to see something like Dollywood's Lightning Rod at Towers but I just can't see it at the moment.

:)

Wardley is a legend. He has created an incredibly unique theme park by taking on the height restrictions to make some very unconventional rides. What I would love to see Alton Towers do next is a rollercoaster with the ambition and scale of Nemesis, but with new technology. After all, Nemesis is the best ride he has ever designed in my opinion.

Gotta agree with some of the sentiments that have already been shared here. Aside from that initial drop into the valley and the sheer speed that this would have generated, the cross-valley coaster had a weak and uninspired layout - lots of airtime but essentially it was just "there and back again some hills along the way". This application has the potential to prove far more interesting than the cross-valley project.

I found a very insightful Q&A video with John Wardley Here with hints about the future.

At 31:30 , he is asked about a woodie at Alton Towers. He mentions previously about the fact that Nick Varney has become fixated on the idea of a coaster having to have a unique selling point. This is why the cross valley coaster has never happened yet. John goes on to say the idea of a cross valley coaster "Is not dead in the water at all". He also hints the idea of a hybrid being more likely in the future once it is proven to work and due to it being easier to maintain.

If you want to listen from the start, he also talks about the Smiler (around 14:50). He really talks about it in a way which suggests he never wanted to design that sort of ride. It was mainly pressure from Merlin to shoe-horn a world first selling point into it. John had an idea for a stand-up, free-fall coaster by B&M, not Gerstlauer, to go around Katanga Canyon and into a big hole. Again his idea was shelved by Merlin because it did not have a marketing gimmick. So the Smiler was born only because it beat Merlin's own record of having the most inversions with Colossus.

Perhaps one of John's original ideas may materialise if Nick Varney can let go of the idea of every new ride must have a gimmick, especially after the disaster the Smiler has cost him, the parks reputation and the Profit margins for Merlin this year. Maybe he is willing to restore his faith in John to create a good ride? I sincerely hope so.

Surely does any of this count towards market research?

We are the ones who go to the park upwards of at least 4 times a season to the average joe once maybe?

The gimmicks are wearing thin. Very!

But please please please.... No stand up! Lol. Queue all that time to have a rest but to do more standing, I don't think I can handle it. Or my balls. :eek::oops::rolleyes:

We are the ones who go to the park upwards of at least 4 times a season to the average joe once maybe?
Really? I know lots of non-enthusiasts who visit regularly! In fact there's probably more annual passes bought by non-enthusiasts than the likes of us. :)

Really? I know lots of non-enthusiasts who visit regularly! In fact there's probably more annual passes bought by non-enthusiasts than the likes of us. :)
In which case, what makes you an enthusiast? o_O I would have thought you were one if you have an annual pass and visit regularly

In which case, what makes you an enthusiast? o_O I would have thought you were one if you have an annual pass and visit regularly
People who love to find out about theme parks and coasters all over the world, who go out of their way to visit parks all over the place, who spend their free time discussing parks on forums - they are enthusiasts.

Your casual Joe who has an annual pass and goes multiple times a season is more of a fan.

People who love to find out about theme parks and coasters all over the world, who go out of their way to visit parks all over the place, who spend their free time discussing parks on forums - they are enthusiasts.

Your casual Joe who has an annual pass and goes multiple times a season is more of a fan.
Thank you, Scott. :p

They're only interested in the mulah. Enticing you in and rinsing you for all that you're worth. That's the real reason for these recent 'world first' attractions. I think 13 and sub Terra prove that well enough.

I am so hoping they design this new coaster to actually be fun and enjoyable, and not just to drag people through the gates with gimmicks like people have said multiple times. If you're reading this Merlin, build a coaster that people really can't wait to get back on again. And don't rush it this time.

Last edited:
The 'gimmick' part of Thirteen is the best part of the ride, it is the standard coaster section that really lets it round. I think the concept of a freefall drop on a coaster is a really good one and Intamin managed to execute it will, although reliability has been an issue since.

The next coaster at Towers doesn't necessarily need a gimmick though. Merlin require it to have a 'killer image' and 'compelling proposition' - it just so happens that gimmicks make this somewhat easier!

:)

The 'gimmick' part of Thirteen is the best part of the ride, it is the standard coaster section that really lets it round

I quite like the regular coaster section, it's tight and intimate, got the proper Hillybilly back-yard, home-brew special feel about it.

Th13teen grows on me all of the time - I think I actually prefer the outdoor section, it does fill a number of voids in Tower's line-up. The backwards dark section is superb, always makes me smile, the first drop can be fun, even the second. Yeah it's not a full white knuckle, but a solid ride nevertheless.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.