• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: New Attractions for Cbeebies Land

I'm really not *that* bothered about flats tbh. Coasters, water rides and dark rides are far more interesting to me.
I like them. They soak up queues from the coasters, pack a decent thrill into a small space, help areas deal with breakdowns (th13teen gets a massive queue if Rita goes down), and they look great at scarefest or fireworks. I know some people say it can make an area look like a fairground, but I think if they're themed well they enhance imerssion into the area.

And enterprise is still listed as a thrill ride on the queue time listing. Towers have relaxed it recently but it was pushed as a thrill ride not long ago.

Sad to say it, but even legoland has a disko. Chessington has more thrilling flats (Ramses, and arguably kobra), and its honestly embarrassing when chessingtons doing something better than you.

And it's amusing to see that they no longer try to sell blade as thrilling. I'm sure a few years ago they rated it similarly thrilling to submission.
I think they ought to get rid of the Blade, and replace it with the same pirate ship-style ride type as the Bounty at Drayton Manor (one of the most intense pirate ship-style rides I've been on).

I like them. They soak up queues from the coasters, pack a decent thrill into a small space, help areas deal with breakdowns (th13teen gets a massive queue if Rita goes down), and they look great at scarefest or fireworks. I know some people say it can make an area look like a fairground, but I think if they're themed well they enhance imerssion into the area.

And enterprise is still listed as a thrill ride on the queue time listing. Towers have relaxed it recently but it was pushed as a thrill ride not long ago.
On ridetimes it's classed as thrill. On the fold out map it's in the family section - same with Spinball.

Despite my personal feelings on flats, I do see their benefit on the park as a whole. I just always feel theme parks don't do them justice in the way funfares do.

I'll eat my own fingernails with ketchup and Worcester sauce if they end up putting a new flat next season. They won't buy a new ride while they have so many existing closed. I'm still sticking my money on new cbb flat, reopened Hex and Sub terra, possible minor works in CCL and removed Blade.

Although the Blade site is perfect for a decent disko in my opinion. Loads of scope there in terms of height without having to dig another hole.

What I would like to see them do is reimagine Cloud Cuckoo Land as Far Far Away Land; in the same way they made CBeebies land out of what they had.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rethemed around Shreks Swamp; King Harolds Frog Hopper; Ice Age becomes a Shrek adventure etc.
That could really fill the missing gap for pre-teens Alton Towers currently has

What I would like to see them do is reimagine Cloud Cuckoo Land as Far Far Away Land; in the same way they made CBeebies land out of what they had.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rethemed around Shreks Swamp; King Harolds Frog Hopper; Ice Age becomes a Shrek adventure etc.
That could really fill the missing gap for pre-teens Alton Towers currently has
Or maybe they could actually be creative and think of their own theme? Or perhaps go for an IP that's recent. Nemesis didn't need an IP to draw people, neither did oblivion, air, or smiler, and towers have proven that they can do kids/family areas aswell without use of an IP (mutiny bay, katanga canyon, gloomy woods). Towers have shown us in the past that they are capable of thinking of their own themed areas, so I'd be a little disappointed to see them go for something like Shrek.

In complete agreement that CCL needs a complete retheme though. The area is laughable in its current form and doesn't have any sense of a story or theme (DF - forrest taking over, MB - generic pirates, FV - nemesis, what's CCL meant to be?). If they do something with the area though, they should really do something with the building behind frog hopper (my auto correct isn't letting me spell it, I do know what it's called).

Found this on TowersTimes
3ibeqy4.jpg

There are posters around the park now advertising this, but no mention of what it actually is anywhere. Which I assume we probably won't know until closed season.

2017 looks set to be another boring year for anyone over 5.

There are posters around the park now advertising this, but no mention of what it actually is anywhere. Which I assume we probably won't know until closed season.

2017 looks set to be another boring year for anyone over 5.
I suppose with SW8 coming in 2018 that might bring more focus on to family/thrill market but this would mean investment in flats. What's the chances

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Whilst CBeebies Land will obviously be staying for the foreseeable, I can see this (and the Hotel) being the last investment in the area for a while. It'll be it's fourth season next year, so I think it's had enough attention.

Cbeebies land was a great addition, tidied up a tired bit of the park and dragged in an additional demographic. The problem is, the intended market grow up, and Towers has a yawning gap for the pre-teens to keep them coming back. The galleons and Congo River Rapids are good for nice weather, but otherwise there is just the mine train.
Pulling out the driving school, charlie and the chocolate factory and the log flume in one season has left slim pickings for the more nervous pre-teens.

2017 should be about making a suitable for 5 to 105 area around cloud cuckooland. I know people hate the idea of an IP, but a Dreamworks theme would be ideal as its very marketable, and flexible. A quality Dark Ride, some well themed generic rides, characters to get a photo with, a new film to replace Ice Age, move the toilets and fill in the gap in front of the Burger place with attractions to make a full size land. How about Lord Farquaads castle using the existing castle and taking the mickey out of theme parks like in Shrek?

Last edited:
Anyone else remember the old JazzLand plans that never came to anything for the CCL area (well Cred Street as it was) that included:
- a boat ride for the Charlie unit but extended to be indoor/outdoor with a splash
- An enclosed 'transit' ride that could have been themed (think duel ride system)
- 2 small family flat rides (one car ride, one circular one)
- an update for the theatre
- walk through attraction
- shops

Seriously Imagine that! One season could have given us 4 rides, 1 walk through and shops. It should still be the aim, a great themed well done family area that can attract all ages of the family and a good variety of rides.
Sigh.

I would guess this type of enhancement would cost less than a SWx project (?), but would drag a certain crowd into the park.
Move the twirling toadstool next to Spinball Whizzer (improving that areas offerings) and move the toilets there to link CCL and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory into the area properly, so everything up to the Skyride is one big family area.

There are some well themed buildings in CCL (plus some cheap fascias) that can be reused, stone battlements at the back, a theatre, a cable car arriving at the gateway... there is so much untapped potential around there.

Last edited: