• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Hate seeing the term "finally getting a high class coaster", makes it sound like all we've had for 20/30 years are SLCs or Tivolis...

Stuff like that isn't helping the hyperbole whatsoever, because a few people don't like Nemesis (for example) for... Well whatever reason...

Well since Oblivion opened 1998 the country hasn't recieved a truly excellent coaster in my opinion, none of them have made me go WOW when I exit the ride, until now. There have been some decent additions, but nothing that stands out. For the record, I personally prefer a good ride with not much theming than a mediocre ride with good theming which is a lot of what we've been getting.

It's a weird thing in the enthusiast community, good reviews seem to no longer be allowed for new attractions. They are just dismissed as "hype". What's wrong with saying a ride is good if it is good and bad if it is bad!?

Last edited:
Well since Oblivion opened 1998 the country hasn't recieved a truly excellent coaster in my opinion, none of them have made me go WOW when I exit the ride, until now. There have been some decent additions, but nothing that stands out. For the record, I personally prefer a good ride with not much theming than a mediocre ride with good theming which is a lot of what we've been getting.

It's a weird thing in the enthusiast community, good reviews seem to no longer be allowed for new attractions. They are just dismissed as "hype". What's wrong with saying a ride is good if it is good and bad if it is bad!?

No ones got a problem with good reviews, just the idea that Icon is the first coaster ever to be built in the bloody country other than a wacky worm!

My honest view, having had a day to settle down after the PMBO ert straight after my Icon ride in the back seat...it was fantastic.
I didn't expect great acceleration or pace, we had seen it running for long enough, but it had a brilliant flow and rhythm, it felt fun and exhilarating, but with an incredible feeling of smoothness.
There is not a single bump or clunk throughout the whole ride, from platform to platform.
It slowed down towards the end, but by then I was getting to the old mans limits of movement sickness...a bit like the end of nemesis.
I can't compare to similar coasters elsewhere, I don't do abroad anymore, but this was a ten out of ten experience for me, it met my high expectations.
We are all lucky people as far as new coasters are concerned this year.
Not sure if it will knock nemesis off the top spot for me personally, but this is without doubt the perfect coaster to see me into retirement, thank you.

The park was actually quite busy today I thought! although Galactica's queue stated 45 minutes at one point, I assume it was for the VR side because I was in the station at the time and the none VR side was completely empty, meaning crafts were being sent with rows 1-4 empty, and just 12 riders on at once! Nemesis also really struggling on one train, was 60 minutes every time I looked at it, and the queue was all the way back into round into the extension.

As we got to Galactica on Sunday they closed the queue with something happening at the station. We hung around for 5 minutes and they reopened the queue and queued about 30 minutes for VR. The app said 60 minutes but seemed wildly out for most rides throughout the day.

I thought it was busier in the morning but by mid afternoon lots of people were sun bathing on the lawns and in the gardens or towers instead of being in the queues.

Totally agree about nemesis. We left it for the last ride of the day as it was a constant 60 throughout the day, although we probably only waited about 30 minutes.

@Robert Jones We only rode Nemesis and did the same as you, we waited about 20 mins at 4:45 or so. We spent most of the day in the gardens and on the lawns (because the Towers were closed... have I mentioned the Towers were closed?).

I haven't been following along much, but the second Nemesis train is in bits, right?

Oh that's a shame :( I assumed they were open, we saw people going into the chapel and the ladyship gardens. Was it blocked on the stairs?

Booooo! I'm glad I dragged my friends up there a few weeks back.

We chose to do the gardens after closing instead of the towers. It's been a while since I have had a decent nosey through and it was nice to see the TLC on the conservatory and the pagoda IRL. A suspicious amount cats were hanging about at the bandstand though.

As of 2 weeks ago, access to parts of the towers (including the roof) was possible only via the conservatory at the Hexit. I believe that the scaremazes are mostly still in position so large parts of the towers are closed off and likely to remain so all year

A suspicious amount cats were hanging about at the bandstand though.
Jazz cats?

As of 2 weeks ago, access to parts of the towers (including the roof) was possible only via the conservatory at the Hexit. I believe that the scaremazes are mostly still in position so large parts of the towers are closed off and likely to remain so all year
Indeed - there was a temporary fence at that entrance on Sunday.

I did get the impression at the time that whilst access was possible, it was not necessarily intended.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.