• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Love the word 'reportedly'... provides a get out of jail card when they need to backtrack.

It's surprising how many people don't understand how a rollercoaster works. In a world where nearly everyone has the Internet in their pocket, there's just no excuse for ignorance like that

Maybe at the brakes on the drop?

Regardless this BS and the general overload of politics is the reason why I don't follow any news outlets any more.

Radio 1 news and Jeremy Vine is all I need :D

Reactions: pj
Maybe at the brakes on the drop?
Just to pick up on this point... the Oblivion shuttles are not held on the drop by a brake.

It's a chain like the one used on the lift, and there's a dog under the shuttle that engages with it. There's a clutch which ensures it releases. It's explained a bit here by John Wardley. I'm sure I've heard him say it's impossible for the shuttle to get stuck on that drop because the clutch will always release, but I can't lay my hands on that quote at the moment.

[Edit] See also, for more geekery: Behind the scenes of Sheikra

Thanks!

I knew it was a chain, didn't realise it wasn't a brake though. I guess I always thought it was because of RollerCoaster Tycoon.

It never actually stops the shuttle. You just crawl forwards really slowly.
So do you crawl forwards too slowly to see and feel, then, because it definitely feels like stopping at the top when you're on Oblivion and SheiKra!

I've also heard the opposite, where some people claim their shuttle went straight over the drop without pausing. I guess it's possible
I’ve definitely had rides where the shuttle hasn’t stopped over the edge. I guess it’s at the operators control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of causing another debate about the intricacies of Oblivion. I have seen with my own eyes a shuttle stopped on the hold.

I don't know why. But it was stopped there. Empty. Prior to park opening. Circa 1999.

I just hope they shifted it before either of the two shuttles ascending the lift behind it caught up!

I’ve definitely had rides where the shuttle hasn’t stopped over the edge. I guess it’s at the operators control.
That's been fairly common for some short periods. Plus there was a time where one shuttle seemed not to engage the chain properly and just dropped but you didn't know if you were on that shuttle until you reached the edge, which was pretty entertaining.

I just hope they shifted it before either of the two shuttles ascending the lift behind it caught up!
I just stifled a guffaw in a restaurant.

Yeah, Oblivion is usually the most reliable, but it and Nemesis being the two oldest of the major rides seemed to have had the most downtime, obviously excluding Wicker Man, so maybe it's just their age! On a different note, Oblivion still remains in my top 3 at Towers, just barely though, I've started to enjoy Galactica more every time I go on it, could soon controversially be in my towers top 3!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.