• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm going to have to be the one address the pachyderm in the parlour here, aren't I?

Who in their right mind would spend fifty quid to enter a theme park... that is only open for an insultingly small ammount of time, with staggered ride openings... then waste a precious two hours of the day watching telly?

If you are this person, then you are - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - mentally ill. ;)

Lots of couples...one likes rides, one likes football...day out for both.
Bar staff at Crevettes amused me on the Beach on Friday...knew who was playing who in the afternoon, and happily turned the tv over for us.
I'm not really into the football, but I follow it as an occasional event, and have no problem with big tv screens for the event.
Kids however...ban them until early August from all parks.

I'm going to have to be the one address the pachyderm in the parlour here, aren't I?

Who in their right mind would spend fifty quid to enter a theme park... that is only open for an insultingly small ammount of time, with staggered ride openings... then waste a precious two hours of the day watching telly?

If you are this person, then you are - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - mentally ill. ;)
When there high winds in the afternoon, broken rides and bugger all else to do ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I wish that was true, 5 yrs working in A&E proved otherwise...

I understand this point, but surely the majority if not all of these incidents will have happened at club football level, and at stadiums or pubs? I doubt it would cause much violence at a place like Towers and airing it somewhere on park with no alcohol would be good for people that want to? I personally wouldn't on a day out but some people would.

I honestly don't think Towers should show the World Cup. It's not part of the reason people go there, and as it's already been mentioned, why would you spend so much money to enter the park only to sit and watch football? I understand why a resort might want to show the games outside of the theme park in an entertainment area or hotel, I don't know wether it's worth Towers looking into doing though.

Families (including some of mine) want to come out with the rest of their families even if they don't like rides. Some people can't physically ride the rides with injuries. Park entertainment now is at a all time low, and if there is a way to keep the football watchers away from the main crowd (maybe in the ice age building, or somewhere else that doesn't have much traffic) then it wouldnt cause too many problems. I'm a football fan but I come to ride rides, but I'd say between 5-10% like a break or want to go home early. If they want to stay to watch the football, then that means they'll spend more time on park, possibly spending more on food which would lead to a profit.

International football isn't worth the violence club football is. Most people watching football at towers will have come for a day out and the football would be an extra. I'd say the audience would be a 'sigh, what a disappointment' kind rather than a rioting bunch of loonies. I haven't seen any violence at the football this year to be honest and I'm a Leeds season ticket holder ;)

As with most good ideas, it seems, Europa Park have already proven that broadcasting live international football matches can work extremely well if done right. It provides a distraction, even another attraction, for those wanting to watch without infringing upon the enjoyment of those that don't.

I think the debate here needs to be whether Alton Towers / a Merlin park is capable of pulling that off, rather than whether it can be done. The lack of issues at Europa showcases that violence isn't really something likely amongst those watching football at a theme park.

Im sure last time there was some big sporting thing on Towers showed it in Margs over in Splash, so it was off park but still catered for those who wanted to watch - made sense to me.

I suppose this wildly depends on if the hotel is even open, its hard to keep track these days.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.