• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Agree @AstroDan - the outrage around this topic is quite tiresome. It could easily be shown somewhere that would ensure the fun wouldn't encroach on those who wanted to avoid it.

Certainly recall watching England hammer Tunisia during France 98 at Alton as that was the first time some friends rode Oblivion the day before the game. It had a 2.5 hour wait!

Last night, in my city, some England fans went on the rampage and damages shop fronts and ripped up signs, and that was after a win.

Beware of alcohol and England games and historic buildings, rides and gardens being fused together. Not to mention colourful language.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.jpg

Guests will use the free Wi-Fi and watch the game on there tablets/phones while queuing for the rides.
Sunday will be only the early game as the Belgium game at 7pm and so is the 1st knockout game.

I appreciate many have a dislike of football but it's important to appreciate it's the most popular sport - by far - in the UK.

It is not unreasonable to expect somewhere like ATR to be showing it.

Most pubs will be as will many City Centres through open space big screens.

We're quite literally NOT going on park this Sunday because there's no coverage. The matches a few years back provided a fantastic atmosphere on park, a far cry from the threatening hooliganism alluded to by some here.

In fact, the day we had an England match shown live followed by the P!nk concert in the evening was one of the best days I had at Alton. How far they've come since...!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

See this is what it always boils down to in this debate; because it’s the UK’s most popular sport it should be rammed down everyone’s throats. Those that don’t like it, find the atmosphere it creates disturbing or just couldn’t care less should just get on and deal with it.

You may not be on park on Sunday, other folk will and I’m sure folk who want to watch the football AND have a trip to Alton Towers will arrange to visit the park another day, luckily for those folk the World Cup is but a few weeks long with thousands of locations showing it and the theme park season is a few months so plenty of time to get that theme park trip in another time.

Sounds like a plan that satisfies everyone.

@Dave If the game was being shown in the Talbot Theatre with a bar in a tent outside, would that affect your day in any meaningful or tangible way?

No one is suggesting that they show the game in the Hex cinema. I just don't understand your objection? It screams of "I hate football and therefore no one else should enjoy it on park" - it stinks.

I'd rather listen to almost anyone other than P!nk but I didn't object to @Rob and co listening to a load of angsty nonsense to catchy tunes on the lawn.

Ice age 4D cinema is free to show the football, they could even show it in 4D too ;)
Talbot Theatre is the 4D Cinema.

The effects would be pretty wasted though if you've got a room full of 24 stone men farting, throwing beer and spitting at each other :neutral:

The only issues I've seen with atmosphere in recent football is the distinct lack of in certain stadiums *cough*Arsenal*cough*

Think in 27 years of going to games I've only seen one really bad incident between fans? I must be doing this football thing wrong clearly...

Maybe so, but to us, your side of the argument screams of "I love football and therefore everyone else must endure it wherever they go."
It doesn't if you read it though, does it. My whole point is that you could show the game without those who are uninterested being impacted at all, which is why this whole thing is ridiculous.

I'm not a football fan but wouldn't have any problems with the World Cup being shown, so long as it was located where people could choose to go and see it or not.

I wouldn't be so happy if it was the Premier League or Championship, but for sporting events that come round every few years... I can go with that. Live and let live etc.

I'm not a football fan but wouldn't have any problems with the World Cup being shown, so long as it was located where people could choose to go and see it or not.

I wouldn't be so happy if it was the Premier League or Championship, but for sporting events that come round every few years... I can go with that. Live and let live etc.
Inside the welcomin seems suitable.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Perhaps i should clarify. I am a football fan, even commentate on it on the radio sometimes. However, i have seen a number of incidents over the years as alcohol takes over people's empathy and sense

Now, personally, i wouldn't mind Towers showing it all, but they're risk adverse at the moment. Just opening the rides and the park is a risk as it is.

@Dave If the game was being shown in the Talbot Theatre with a bar in a tent outside, would that affect your day in any meaningful or tangible way?

No one is suggesting that they show the game in the Hex cinema. I just don't understand your objection? It screams of "I hate football and therefore no one else should enjoy it on park" - it stinks.

I'd rather listen to almost anyone other than P!nk but I didn't object to @Rob and co listening to a load of angsty nonsense to catchy tunes on the lawn.

I don’t like the atmosphere football creates its by its nature imposing, and at no point has anyone suggested showing it in the talbot theatre, the debate was started by suggesting they should get a big screen in fountain square and that is what the discussion has been about.

If they wanted to use a dead indoor space then I couldn’t care less but that wasn’t what was suggested and I don’t see how the attitude of “I like football so everyone should be forced to see hear and experience it” stinks any less, i don’t see why one or two public venues not showing the World Cup means football fans are suddenly victims of some anti-football sentiment! The tournament is everywhere, and no I have no problem with pubs showing the football, I just avoid them during matches, curious why football fans can’t plan their leisure time in a similar manner.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.