• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Well we can’t all like the same things can we... The world would be a very boring place after all!

By seriously, Europa show the World Cup? Is anybody moaning about that?! I think this is a great move!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they do this in the theme park outside the area themed to football?

If not then this is hypocrisy

It's in O'Mackays, too. And Piazza Roma. And the Camp Resort. And...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So a whole lot of isolated indoor venues or resort locations I refer you back to my opinion of Towers putting the football in Talbot Street theatre or the resort.....

Like goal posts in metaphor things get wider and wider.... Football fans could educate brexiteers in spin!

So a whole lot of isolated indoor venues or resort locations I refer you back to my opinion of Towers putting the football in Talbot Street theatre or the resort.....

Like goal posts in metaphor things get wider and wider.... Football fans could educate brexiteers in spin!

While not indoor or a resort venue. I would personally argue The Courtyard is an isolated venue. But let’s be honest, all the above mentioned Europa venues are just as easily accessed as the Courtyard. Nobody is making you go in there?

While not indoor or a resort venue. I would personally argue The Courtyard is an isolated venue. But let’s be honest, all the above mentioned Europa venues are just as easily accessed as the Courtyard. Nobody is making you go in there?

It’s not about entering it’s about how the atmosphere of football impacts on surrounding areas which it will do from the court yard.

Theme parks have so many short lived events folk get so grumpy about and good discussion occurs but football is a subject that is sacrosanct it seems.

Sure the mocking on Sunday will ring true

Last edited:
It’s not about entering it’s about how the atmosphere of football impacts on surrounding areas which it always does.

Theme parks have so many short lived events folk get so grumpy about and good discussion occurs but football is a subject that is sacrosanct it seems.

Sure the mocking on Sunday will ring true

What atmosphere does it create? You can see from mass screenings of football anywhere that they are usually well natured. Especially in places like towers. If you are on park and England win a quarter final. The atmosphere will be buzzing. If they loose, so what. Still be good natured. Too many people on this thread have focused on the negative. You get any large team based sports crowd you get exactly the same atmosphere. Ascot is on at the moment. Drugs, sexual assault, fighting, drunks. Yet horse racing never gets the bad press. Rugby union. Same thing. Never gets the bad press. Also with rugby, they can drink In sight of the pitch. Football supporters can't. I was out In York last year for England v Scotland. Was an awful place to be in the pubs.

All large crowds affect an area. Not just football. I feel safer at a football ground then I do at other events. Better policed, better stewards everyone looks after each other. Such an outdated view. Yes I've seen biplane at football, but that was because it was against Millwall. Apart from Danny Baker. They are all nutters.

They way people are reacting to this. Its like England are actually playing at the end of towers Street.

What atmosphere does it create? You can see from mass screenings of football anywhere that they are usually well natured. Especially in places like towers. If you are on park and England win a quarter final. The atmosphere will be buzzing. If they loose, so what. Still be good natured. Too many people on this thread have focused on the negative. You get any large team based sports crowd you get exactly the same atmosphere. Ascot is on at the moment. Drugs, sexual assault, fighting, drunks. Yet horse racing never gets the bad press. Rugby union. Same thing. Never gets the bad press. Also with rugby, they can drink In sight of the pitch. Football supporters can't. I was out In York last year for England v Scotland. Was an awful place to be in the pubs.

All large crowds affect an area. Not just football. I feel safer at a football ground then I do at other events. Better policed, better stewards everyone looks after each other. Such an outdated view. Yes I've seen biplane at football, but that was because it was against Millwall. Apart from Danny Baker. They are all nutters.

They way people are reacting to this. Its like England are actually playing at the end of towers Street.

I wouldn’t want Ascot played at Towers either, the cheering chanting and jeering are not to so many people a nice atmosphere.

Genuinely this topic has made the over dramatic silly side of my brain think Merlin have finally made U.K. fans forget what theme parks should be about.... which is ultimately no matter which park you are a fan of is the joy of escapism.

And yes the above sentence can be construed as over dramatic but I think it has some level of resonance, people will forgive the World Cup but god forbid marketing allow imperial leather put a bus outside wicker man for a day or plaster Oblivion in Fanta branding or have a popular zombie brand put an extreme maze in Thorpe Park for two week.

A world cup game is 90 mins! Maybe 3 to max 5 England games at world cup. Ive used imperial leather, that little label hangs around for a long time after the soaps gone!

I was in Paris for the Euros to watch Wales, the day after the game I snuck off to Parc Asterix. I thought it would be quiet as France were playing Ireland (I think). However it was heaving and most people were streaming on their phones in the queues.

I'd manage to polish of a few cans of Kronenbourgs off in the rapids queue and watch the game over the shoulder of the guy in front of me. He spotted me watching and after some broken French and English he allowed me to watch the game with him. I ended following him to the Dolphin show and watched it with him there. France scored and you could see the news filter through the crowd as everyone started cheering and going wild. Chants of "Allez les Bleus" filled the dolphin arena and you could hear people chanting outside, in the Greek area.

I parted ways with my newly acquired friend and got on with my visit. Largely unhindered and after the game I barely encountered any fans, probably because everyone was spread out.

Point being I guess, is that if people really want to watch the game, get drunk and cause an atmosphere they probably will regardless. However you can have good experiences as well and I don't blame AT for cashing in. Some people don't like scarefest and some people don't like fireworks, so they avoid the park during those periods. I just wish AT would put more events on, especially somethig like concerts

If you truly want to avoid the world cup, come to Oakwood :p

AstroDan is a prime example, a few pages ago he said he wasn't going on park so he could watch the game, now they are showing it he is going on park, therefore - increased gate figures. It's not rocket science :p

I would rather they spend money on having decent ride operating times to increase gate figures as oppose to spend the money on erecting a large screen to draw in football fans. They clearly don't have the budget to run the park as it should do, so I would like to know where they are getting the budget from to erect a large TV screen?

I'm not against any one who wish to watch the football, but at the moment I just can't get away from it, which ever TV channel I put on, its there in my face, I running my remote battery down as I'm having to change channels every five minutes. The last thing that I want to see at Alton is even more football. With how much you have to queue on the park this season, I'm sure that people can easily watch the football on their phones whilst queuing in the queue lines. If you want to watch football and have all the atmosphere, then go to a football stadium, that's what they are there for :p

Wait, I'm confused, @Robert Jones. Are you implying that a crowd "watching" an animal show ignoring the performance and shouting obnoxious, unrelated chanting is a positive thing?

These past few pages have been funny to read.

At one point we had somebody mocking their football fan friends for claiming The Smiler is Dangerous...Oh how we laugh at the ill informed daily mail reading GP In the next sentence we have the same people showing equal ignorance around the reputation of football. C'mon! People in glass houses... :p

People are not going to go to Towers just to watch Football. For most people they will just catch a look at the score as they wander around.

I've come late to the football party really, only just started attending matches for my local team and they really do have a bad reputation, I've not seen any trouble at all, everyone has been good spirited. Sure you will get some knobbers and A&E demand will ride but then statistics would suggest that for most sporting events where you have a crowd of people and booze flowing.

However the debate goes it's obvious that Towers have missed a trick, either by making a World Cup event and treating us to some later openings or doing the opposite and making a World Cup free event. It shows how weak the marketing has become, these are the guys remember who once got press attention by banning a squirrel from riding Spinball! :)

:) :)

Wait, I'm confused, @Robert Jones. Are you implying that a crowd "watching" an animal show ignoring the performance and shouting obnoxious, unrelated chanting is a positive thing?

Not usually no, but the show hadn't quite started when France scored. Its weird to put into text but there was a general feel good vibe everywhere that weekend, not just around Asterix but the entire time I was in Paris.

I was trying to convey a more positive story associated with theme parks and football Diogo. Not one about the drunken, lounge chair throwing idiots that make the news. This was whole families having fun at both the park and with football, it can be done :)

How dare they keep such a thing confined to a desolate and barren section of the park rather than projecting the match onto the ruins so it is simply unavoidable.

If football creates such a toxic atmosphere, why do I see so many kids go to games?

Hell I went to the game as a Palace fan when we relegated Stoke and there was zero reports of trouble after that game (probably because all the Stokies had gone home at 2-1) and I was stood behind a kid no older than 10...

Half the issues with football fans come with the belief (especially police wise) that someone somewhere will cause trouble, if left to their own devices opposing fans tend to co-exist relatively peacefully (there are of course exceptions to this rule, usually surrounding deep seated rivalries, but even they have been much more peaceful in previous years)...

2 hours of Engerlund playing isn't going to cause a riot or wanton destruction in the park anymore than the 2 days a year that the travellers come to town...

I would rather they spend money on having decent ride operating times to increase gate figures as oppose to spend the money on erecting a large screen to draw in football fans. They clearly don't have the budget to run the park as it should do, so I would like to know where they are getting the budget from to erect a large TV screen?

However much it is costing to show the England game, that money will not be coming from the park's operating budget. So if the money was not being spent on some sort of screen, it would not have been available to open a ride for a little longer. Plus I doubt it costs that much in the grand scheme of things to hire in a screen.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.