• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
From Monday, 2nd July, Staggered Openings will effectively be gone as was the case at May Half Term.

90% of the park's rides will be open by 10am.

This will be the case for the forseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is great news.

Merlin are hugely under-funding their park's operational budget.

gANjYXS.png

Good news about dropping the staggered openings, it’s been a long time coming.

It may well just be a coincidence but the timing of this fits in with the end of Merlin’s half year, perhaps they have been desperate to control costs in the first half to help the results and have ‘found’ some money to up the budget slightly in the second half of the year.

Good news about dropping the staggered openings, it’s been a long time coming.

It may well just be a coincidence but the timing of this fits in with the end of Merlin’s half year, perhaps they have been desperate to control costs in the first half to help the results and have ‘found’ some money to up the budget slightly in the second half of the year.
It would always have been the plan, staggered opening during key months of July and August would of destroyed any positives for this year.

It would always have been the plan, staggered opening during key months of July and August would of destroyed any positives for this year.

I would like to think that was true, but struggle to give them that much credit!

Based on Facebook and Towers Street over the last 24hrs whether football fans get their way or not they still like to belittle those who dislike the game.

And people wonder why there are those of us who dislike the atmosphere of the sport......

Last thing I would want to see at a theme park is the bloody World Cup!

Theme parks should offer some escapism from sports that aggrandise violence.

Nah, it's just the football fans who enjoy belittlement.

I've never been belittled by anyone because I've no interest in football. What I have found is that when having a conversation with someone I don't really know and they ask me what team I support some of them can't seem to find anything else to talk about when I tell them I've zero interest in the game.

Last edited:
Nah, it's just the football fans who enjoy belittlement.

Point me to the part of the quote I attack an individual. I made a point that football has a historic problem with violence. I also made a point later in the thread that the organisations around the game had done a lot to try and curb this in the stands but the problem was still very acute once you move away from the stadiums. That the football atmosphere is not fun for a lot of people and doesn’t fit in with the escapism of a theme park and there are thousands of options for football fans to have the time of their lives watching the game without it having to be everywhere.

Don’t recall actively singling out anyone for ridicule. I’m done with this subject now though, I think everyone can agree it’s been done to death!

Last edited:
The Staggered Openings aren't a massive issue on a sub-5000 guests day.

They simply should *never* return on weekends, holiday periods and busier weekdays.

I would actually argue the opposite, on a greater than 5000 guest day you are probably going to spend the first hour in a queue (as folk tolerate queues better early in the day) so phased oppening is moot. On a less than 5000 day you are probably going to get bored (wicker man probably helps here as it’s slow moving on any day tbf). Those who are lackadaisical about theme parks won’t be around at 10am so the folk who are hurt are those average joes who like parks but don’t “love them” who probably like to talk to their friends about the day they had.

If you have to make a cut get rid or ERT and open everything at 10am, hotels are a terrible product and based on my last visit if people are willing to pay £20 for a terrible burger then the fact that they can get into the park 30min early makes no difference to them booking a room and pass holders will need their eyes scooping out before they take heed (yes I’m a pass holder). So dump ERT and get the park open on time. If you want to be nice to hotel and pass folk let us in early and advertise “front of the queue” for the latest ride that still opens at 10am

From Monday, 2nd July, Staggered Openings will effectively be gone as was the case at May Half Term.

90% of the park's rides will be open by 10am.

This will be the case for the forseeable future.

Fantastic news :)

The staggard opening times should have never ever been implemented in the first place, especially during a season where a major new attraction has been open. Especially on on weekends, holidays and busy term days as @AstroDan say's above

OK I get the idea of them doing it for the quiet days, but is still has an impact on quiet days as you are simply wandering around the first couple of hours bored as you only have very little choice in what you can ride.

ERT should be returned to the full one hour.

If staggered opening times were to be implemented on very quiet days only, then the following would have be more sensible

ERT as it is
10am as it is
10.30am DF
11.00am FV and all other rides excluding the water rides
11.30 all the water rides

I've said this before, 2018 should have been Alton's come back year and prove to the world that they are a top quality place to visit, so far they have complete blown it this year. Will the reversal of the staggered opening times from the 2nd of July be a chance for them to redeem themselves or will it be too little too late to reverse the damage that they done to their reputation this season?

A bittersweet victory :)

Another strange thing from today was that there was no audio at all playing around Nemesis, made for a very strange atmosphere.
If Nemesis was even open at all it's a bonus these days.

Well, that's an exageration, but it does seem to having a lot of downtime at the moment

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.