• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm all for rose tinted nostalgia goggles, but honestly, the flume was not that good! :p
I'm all for positivity, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Diogo here. I wasn't a huge Flume fan either. It just sort of went on... and on... and on. And the drops weren't even that wet, although I suppose that was probably for the best considering that the UK does not have the hottest of climates.

I appreciate that many have nostalgic/childhood memories of The Flume (I do, too), but I had no real emotional attachment to it. It was quite a major part of my younger days visiting Alton, but Congo River Rapids was always the better of the park's two major water rides, in my opinion. And Wicker Man is most certainly better than The Flume ever was, and truly is a ride that Merlin should be applauded for!
P.S. Sorry for drifting off topic!

Last edited:
I'm all for positivity, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Diogo here. I wasn't a huge Flume fan either. It just sort of went on... and on... and on. And the drops weren't even that wet,!

You clearly never rode at the front of a fully loaded boat. It wasn't the splash so much as the colossal bow wave that cascaded into the boat at the end of the 1st drop runout (and the 2nd if the boat was really heavy)

You clearly never rode at the front of a fully loaded boat. It wasn't the splash so much as the colossal bow wave that cascaded into the boat at the end of the 1st drop runout (and the 2nd if the boat was really heavy)
I think I did ride on the front of a fully loaded boat, actually. I think Logger's Leap at Thorpe is/was much better on the front of a fully loaded boat, personally.

I'm all for positivity, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Diogo here. I wasn't a huge Flume fan either. It just sort of went on... and on... and on. And the drops weren't even that wet, although I suppose that was probably for the best considering that the UK does not have the hottest of climates.

I appreciate that many have nostalgic/childhood memories of The Flume (I do, too), but I had no real emotional attachment to it. It was quite a major part of my younger days visiting Alton, but Congo River Rapids was always the better of the park's two major water rides, in my opinion. And Wicker Man is most certainly better than The Flume ever was, and truly is a ride that Merlin should be applauded for!
P.S. Sorry for drifting off topic!

I always enjoyed it, but it was always in the shadow of the former BPB Log Flume, which was a far better experience IMO. I especially liked the speed that it took the bits between the drops, it certainly didn't meander around!

I did Valhalla for the first time at BPB the other day. A few weeks ago i went on the rapids at Alton Towers and didn't get wet at all, which i was moaning about.

I came off Valhalla like i was a human tea bag. Utterley soaked to the skin, There has to be a happy medium somewhere

the wettest I ever got on the flume was when I went on with my four large uncles, each one larger than the last. Eventually we all squeezed in, me in the middle, two large uncles either side of me (two are overweight, two are bodybuilders)

Anyway off we went, and the log was scraping along the bottom of the flume. It was basically a car. Even on the first drop we nearly dissolved. my uncles are so large and they all have hearty chuckles, which then became booming laughs and everyone was just looking at us in awe. So much human flesh compacted so closely together. People waited to see us go down the main drop.

Then when we hit the last drop, It felt like we were going to keep going through the ground. The speed we achieved was breathtaking. it made Oblivion feel like the Frog Hopper. Everyone in the queue looked like they'd witnessed a terrible helicopter crash. just pure disbelief at four gigantic uncles laughing in unison, their arms fixed to their sides as their sheer size wouldn't allow them to raise them. Then in the middle of the mass of pure uncle was a smiling man, barely able to breath, but definitely able to smile!

That's why the flume holds such special memories for me. Until you've ridden a flume with four of your most gigantic uncles don't give me that Corkscrew rubbish.

Quick reminder that this is 2018 General Discussion, and we seem to be wandering down memory lane now - we have other forums and topics for that stuff. Ta! :)

Quick reminder that this is 2018 General Discussion, and we seem to be wandering down memory lane now - we have other forums and topics for that stuff. Ta! :)
Is there a memory lane thread?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.