• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm off at the end of October. When I booked, I was a little apprehensive and for the first time ever about going. Especially at that time of year but also because I was being forced to stay in the hotel and not chained oak. I'm beginning to get the old buzz back. I've kept away from any wicker man stuff, which will also mean having the channel 4 documentary on my sky box unwatched for a long time. Its posts like the above that make me feel that the park is getting back to something like it was in the past. Time yo watch all the you tube videos I can of ride tunes etc get me in the mood.

@Matt N Back later to go into the water park, off site at the moment. Construction walls aren't fully assembled yet and what is there currently are blank.
Brilliant stuff! Thanks for the update @Rick; enjoy the water park!

Also, it's good to see the barrels making progress, in my opinion; I look forward to seeing what they're like!

I'm off at the end of October. When I booked, I was a little apprehensive and for the first time ever about going. Especially at that time of year but also because I was being forced to stay in the hotel and not chained oak. I'm beginning to get the old buzz back. I've kept away from any wicker man stuff, which will also mean having the channel 4 documentary on my sky box unwatched for a long time. Its posts like the above that make me feel that the park is getting back to something like it was in the past. Time yo watch all the you tube videos I can of ride tunes etc get me in the mood.
You should be ok. I've been loads this year and only had one really bad day due to ride breakdowns. Touch wood, things seem to be a bit better at the moment.

No because it's fused with extra special tv screens that look like real fire and I don't think you can really tell the difference. ;)

Oh god, dear world, please stop trying to fix things that are not broken simply because a very tiny minority think the rules don't apply to them, thanks, the sensible ones.

Those changes wouldn't stop what happened in Australia and won't stop people walking about the boat, if anything it may increase the number of accidents as it will portray a false sense of security to people.

Oh god, dear world, please stop trying to fix things that are not broken simply because a very tiny minority think the rules don't apply to them, thanks, the sensible ones.

Those changes wouldn't stop what happened in Australia and won't stop people walking about the boat, if anything it may increase the number of accidents as it will portray a false sense of security to people.
If anything wouldn't having gates be a danger in a Dreamworld type situation?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I half agree with your sentiments, but have to ultimately disagree because it oversimplifies it. The actions of just one person can have far reaching consequences. Stuff changes, the world moves on and our tolerances for what is OK and what isn't shifts with the way society behaves and what it expects - all the BPB woodies used to operate without a restraint, imagine that now...

They're not trying to prevent what happened in Australia - the incident that happened an hour away is at the forefront of their minds and collective mind of the HSE. It's understood by the industry that a set of circumstances specific to that ride and the way it was being operated were the primary factors that led to those tragic circumstances.

There are a number of rides operating with this style of gate, including rides in Merlin parks, didn't Viking River Splash have 'doors' retrofitted to the rafts a couple of seasons in?

I half agree with your sentiments, but have to ultimately disagree because it oversimplifies it. The actions of just one person can have far reaching consequences. Stuff changes, the world moves on and our tolerances for what is OK and what isn't shifts with the way society behaves and what it expects - all the BPB woodies used to operate without a restraint, imagine that now...

They're not trying to prevent what happened in Australia - the incident that happened an hour away is at the forefront of their minds and collective mind of the HSE. It's understood by the industry that a set of circumstances specific to that ride and the way it was being operated were the primary factors that led to those tragic circumstances.

There are a number of rides operating with this style of gate, including rides in Merlin parks, didn't Viking River Splash have 'doors' retrofitted to the rafts a couple of seasons in?

I don't know about VRS, I haven't been to legoland for a while. As I said I wonder if these upgrades will eventually cause more problems than they solve through providing a false sense of security to guests.

I don't know about VRS, I haven't been to legoland for a while. As I said I wonder if these upgrades will eventually cause more problems than they solve through providing a false sense of security to guests.
How so? There is real security in terms of keeping someone in the boat. I guess you could have a situation whereby someone is more likely to stand and fall within the confines of the boat, but that seems like a step forward.

It's nothing to do with health and safety gone mad, it's fixing a problem that wouldn't have existed had the person followed the rules originally. Simply following the rules of "stay seated at all times" has stopped people falling out the boats for the last 30 years, and if you read between the lines of the recent article about Drayton, the girl falling out the boat was not the problem, it was her insistence on trying to follow and get back into the boat instead of walking to the side where she could hold on and wait for rescue, or shock horror, get herself out the river, that contributed to her death.

Yes @Rick thats what I'm talking about, the added false sense of security could cause people to move about more inside the boat because they consider them safer, which could lead to more injuries and accidents as a result, I've seen it before outside of the theme park industry, the more safer things were made, the more risks people took which led to more accidents.

It's nothing to do with health and safety gone mad, it's fixing a problem that wouldn't have existed had the person followed the rules originally. Simply following the rules of "stay seated at all times" has stopped people falling out the boats for the last 30 years, and if you read between the lines of the recent article about Drayton, the girl falling out the boat was not the problem, it was her insistence on trying to follow and get back into the boat instead of walking to the side where she could hold on and wait for rescue, or shock horror, get herself out the river, that contributed to her death.

Yes @Rick thats what I'm talking about, the added false sense of security could cause people to move about more inside the boat because they consider them safer, which could lead to more injuries and accidents as a result, I've seen it before outside of the theme park industry, the more safer things were made, the more risks people took which led to more accidents.

All modern rapids rides have higher sides and doors or nets. This is one change I have no issue with as it will make the ride safer. You can argue that it’s pandering to one or two people who can’t follow rules but nearly all safety features in any walk of life are doing that.

The fact they are modifying the boats helps explain why so few have been on the circuit this season.

All modern rapids rides have higher sides and doors or nets. This is one change I have no issue with as it will make the ride safer. You can argue that it’s pandering to one or two people who can’t follow rules but nearly all safety features in any walk of life are doing that.

The fact they are modifying the boats helps explain why so few have been on the circuit this season.
It does! There all sorts of theories about it but it appears that some have been removed for safety modifications.

Certainly appears that Merlin and Alton think the rapids has a future too

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.