• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
As I said, it was a presumption, given capitalism was getting the blame for Merlin's failures.
When it comes to public ownership of Alton Towers, I don't feel that the GP would be well placed (or have any desire) to interpret and make serious decisions based on the assets, liabilities and income of the resort. Having said that, outside of the financial side of things, I could potentially agree that it might be an interesting experiment to let the public, or at least certain sections of the public enter the creative side of things, even to thee extent of budgeting for future developments so long as the cash is available.
In terms of the job that John Wardley had in the 90s (just had a quick peak on his linkedin) which was a non executive director, I suppose it would essentially be substituting this role with some sort of forum or consortium that have an interest in the resort. We'd hold Merlin to account, create ideas for future investments and also strategies on how to expand the theme park. That I could accept, and as a matter of fact, it arguably could be a solution to the looming crisis that Towers could be in, but anything else is far too extreme/radical/idealistic. And let's be honest, outside of enthusiasts who are passionate about change and the direction of the place, who would really care about this stuff.

Edit: I wasn't quite expecting my views to be that controversial :tearsofjoy: , but I obviously stand by what I say, and respect everyone's opinion on this matter.

Last edited:
I don't think they're anti flat, water or dark ride given that they have built a number of each over the past decade or so. They build the rides that they think fit the respective parks.

You could maybe say they have historically been anti-flat in the RTP parks, but that's not the same thing. Horses for courses.

Yeah on most other forums the conversation would have been shut down pages ago.
Nah it was on topic, it just turned in to a weird, but still perfectly legitimate conversation about how Towers is run.
I don't use any other forums, but I'll take your word on that being true, and that's partly the reason why this place is so good. Everyone's opinion is respected :)

Looking at the Smiler stuff, one thing I can dream of is the whole of the Smiler to be enclosed in giant concrete pillars, essentially making it half indoors. Would allow for strobes and other cool effects to be seen as well. Oblivion is a far more visually appealing coaster to look at, and I think if the Smiler looked is if it was inside a building, it would allow Oblivion to be seen as the central and most intimidating ride in X-Sector, which it deserves.

You are mistaking actual gain from how an accountant would put the figures in a book.
I’m an accountant and I would not look at it that way. Any major capex project ( which let’s face it any ride is ) can see the cost spread over its ‘useful life’ - so the question I guess it ‘what do Merlin see as a useful life?’

My assumption here would be they depreciate coasters over a four year period - meaning from an accounting perspective they pay for these rides over a four year period. I.e from one project to the next. I can only assume years one and two see a peak in revenue generated from the ride with year three retuning to normal levels. Year four perhaps sees a peak again as people are seeing plans / construction of the new ride?

For a flat ride I can only assume the pay back is less so they spread the cost over lesser year effectively increasing the cost on the p&l - £5m flat over 2 year = £2.5m per year for example - £10m coaster over four year = same amount cost but more return. I know what I would do. If it’s over five years the. The cost per year would be less.

In short it makes more sense from an accounting perspective to make bigger investments making flats not viable

Nah it was on topic, it just turned in to a weird, but still perfectly legitimate conversation about how Towers is run.
I don't use any other forums, but I'll take your word on that being true, and that's partly the reason why this place is so good. Everyone's opinion is respected :)

Looking at the Smiler stuff, one thing I can dream of is the whole of the Smiler to be enclosed in giant concrete pillars, essentially making it half indoors. Would allow for strobes and other cool effects to be seen as well. Oblivion is a far more visually appealing coaster to look at, and I think if the Smiler looked is if it was inside a building, it would allow Oblivion to be seen as the central and most intimidating ride in X-Sector, which it deserves.
Interesting idea. However, i think the Smiler is a more appealing Coaster to look at than Oblivion. I guess it's one man's meat...

Indeed, but @Rob is on holiday :p

Ah that explains why @Rob hasn't waded in with the truncate hammer.

I can’t be bothered to read through all these posts from my hotel room by Kings Island (sorry) but get back on topic or I’ll ban you all upon my return! :p

(I have no idea if things have/had gone off topic, so as you were)!

:)

Images taken from FB

Drinking water fountains and sunscreen dispensers are available for people to use around the park

7d0VxTI.jpg

l6d0P04.jpg
Just look how filthy that sink is!

I'm not going to post a full trip report with regards to yesterday, but I will say we had a great day, accommodation was good and I am still a Flambos fan!
  • Rode all the coasters + Hex, Rapids, Sea Life, Duel
  • Longest wait was Wicker Man at 55 minutes, posted queue was 65, I think
  • We went to Flambos at the end of the day - had another great meal there. My only complaint (bar some really socially awkward staff) is that the garlic bread has disappeared from the menu :eek: but they seem to have expanded the dessert options
  • As much as I love RCR, it's a once a year thing for us - if you're hungry, Flambos is the place to be
  • Park emptied at 5pm - last hour was pretty quiet in comparison to earlier on
  • We scored an Enchanted Village lodge for £145 - no qualms there
  • Construction walls are now up around the barrel site - looking forward to trying those next year
  • Some friends of ours looked to get a room for last night earlier this week and it appeared there was nothing available at all
  • We're off for a walk this morning and then likely heading back and sticking around in the water park until late on
and
  • All drinks were served at an appropriate temperature

I'm not going to post a full trip report with regards to yesterday, but I will say we had a great day, accommodation was good and I am still a Flambos fan!
  • Rode all the coasters + Hex, Rapids, Sea Life, Duel
  • Longest wait was Wicker Man at 55 minutes, posted queue was 65, I think
  • We went to Flambos at the end of the day - had another great meal there. My only complaint (bar some really socially awkward staff) is that the garlic bread has disappeared from the menu :eek: but they seem to have expanded the dessert options
  • As much as I love RCR, it's a once a year thing for us - if you're hungry, Flambos is the place to be
  • Park emptied at 5pm - last hour was pretty quiet in comparison to earlier on
  • We scored an Enchanted Village lodge for £145 - no qualms there
  • Construction walls are now up around the barrel site - looking forward to trying those next year
  • Some friends of ours looked to get a room for last night earlier this week and it appeared there was nothing available at all
  • We're off for a walk this morning and then likely heading back and sticking around in the water park until late on
and
  • All drinks were served at an appropriate temperature
Sounds like you had a great trip to Towers! Certainly makes me optimistic for my 2 days there next week!

Also, as random as it sounds, are the construction walls around the barrels site themed, or have they not got any promotional material on them yet?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.