• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Pretty sure that's a typo. :p
giphy.gif

Rides opening late in the morning is to be expected on cold days.

Stop moaning. It happens at Europa-Park too. Blue Fire opened 45 minutes late as it was too cold to test. CALL ROLAND!

The over-zealous policy of closing rides once warmed up is quite another issue (Thorpe coasters/13).

I had a quick look through some of the recent reviews of Enchanted Village, Splash Landings and ATH this morning and wow, nearly every other post is about how dirty the hotel rooms are. I noticed the photos people post no longer show people having fun in the hotels, or how nice the rooms are, but of the filth and dirt they are finding.

Its quite shocking actually, given the price the hotels are to stay in.

What happened with housekeeping. Was it not outsourced a while ago? Or have they cut down on cleaners to save money so each person has less time to clean the rooms? I wont be staying in one of these hotels again thats for sure and how they heck they will clean the sheds who knows! Let alone the toilet/shower block!

Looks like Wicker man is still down since it broke down last night. What I didn't understand is that they announced that the ride had ceased working but yet there was a train still going up the lift hill and then sent around the track :eek:

Also I noticed on Tuesday that on Thirteen, they had displayed in the ride op booth "2 Trains on the Track" but yet I could clearly see 3 trains running ("cough cough" Didn't they learn from the Smiler "cough cough") :eek:

Also I noticed on Tuesday that on Thirteen, they had displayed in the ride op booth "2 Trains on the Track" but yet I could clearly see 3 trains running ("cough cough" Didn't they learn from the Smiler "cough cough") :eek:
I'm not sure where it's shown for 13, but could it be you saw the back of one of the cards (if it's displayed in the cabin window) or on a rack where they store the cards, rather than the actual one they're using?

It's possible the cards have different numbers each side(?). I would personally think you'd want the cards to be same both sides and the unused ones kept away from the cabin though, just to ensure there's absolutely no chance of confusion, but that's just me.

I had a quick look through some of the recent reviews of Enchanted Village, Splash Landings and ATH this morning and wow, nearly every other post is about how dirty the hotel rooms are. I noticed the photos people post no longer show people having fun in the hotels, or how nice the rooms are, but of the filth and dirt they are finding.

What happened with housekeeping. Was it not outsourced a while ago? Or have they cut down on cleaners to save money so each person has less time to clean the rooms? I wont be staying in one of these hotels again thats for sure and how they heck they will clean the sheds who knows! Let alone the toilet/shower block!

This is what happens when quantity prevails over quality. I believe house keeping is kept in-house at the moment but they're looking to outsource it? Hopefully if that's the case then the standards will be where they need to be and not sub-standard.

I'm not sure where it's shown for 13, but could it be you saw the back of one of the cards (if it's displayed in the cabin window) or on a rack where they store the cards, rather than the actual one they're using?

It's possible the cards have different numbers each side(?). I would personally think you'd want the cards to be same both sides and the unused ones kept away from the cabin though, just to ensure there's absolutely no chance of confusion, but that's just me.

It was displayed in the window. Yesterday it was showing the correct number of trains on facing outwards.

Looks like Wicker man is still down since it broke down last night. What I didn't understand is that they announced that the ride had ceased working but yet there was a train still going up the lift hill and then sent around the track :eek:

I was there on 30th when they added the third car on around midday. I noticed the operator and maintenance in the control hadn’t changed it from two to three cars - I was right at the front of the queue at this point so I felt odd being the first car to go around on the three car system although the operator cabin was still showing 2, knowing that a confusion about the number of cars on the track between maintenance and ride operator was the reason for the incident a few years back!

It was outsourced but came back in house fairly quickly as it failed quite badly.

That sounds like an operational incident occurred then, probably serious enough to warrant reassessing the people involved.

In reality I'm sure it's not a problem as I'd guess the process for block resets now involves cross-checking the number of trains against the signs, the log book and maybe even operations control as well, thus eliminating single points of failure (remember for Smiler they didn't actually check anywhere for the expected number of trains, just assumed).

That sounds like an operational incident occurred then, probably serious enough to warrant reassessing the people involved.

In reality I'm sure it's not a problem as I'd guess the process for block resets now involves cross-checking the number of trains against the signs, the log book and maybe even operations control as well, thus eliminating single points of failure (remember for Smiler they didn't actually check anywhere for the expected number of trains, just assumed).
What I did find odd was that they needed a member of maintenance to add the third train - I thought it would have been pretty standard procedure that the ride op could complete on their own.

It was odd as when they added the third train, the empty carriage in the thirteen station was reversed right back to outside of the inside section where you’re normally held after the backwards section. I didn’t know that they were able to reverse the trains back out of the station like that!

I didn’t have much luck on the 30th - first Galactica broke down just as I was at the front of the queue and went onto one station for a while after that, then we got stuck right at the top of the nemesis lift hill for around 10 minutes (there was an immense hissing sound coming from the station above the track) and then thirteen was down for 10-20 mins as they added a new car as I got to the front of that queue.

Technical Services are required to add a train as it requires putting the ride into transfer mode, and that requires extra keys. Adding trains can't be done in automatic mode.

This is both correct & incorrect. 100% correct in that trains cannot be added in automatic mode, as you need extra keys to put the ride control system into manual mode & enable the transfer table (2 extra keys needed on Nemesis for this).

In days gone by, Technical Services would put both trains onto Nemesis first thing in the morning & do their test runs / checks on the trains and sign both off for use for the day. The ride team leader would hold two additional keys to enable them to remove / add the second train. What used to happen was the ride staff would do their pre-start checks on both trains, then take one off before the ride opened. First thing when it was quiet, they would run on fewer staff in the station whilst the other staff cleaned the second train in the garage. When the queue got to about the steps under the lift hill (so circa 15mins on one train) the team leader would be called to attend the station with the override keys to bring the second train back into use. As the second train had been fully signed off for use by Technical Services, it could be put back into use by a team leader alone - as long as the override keys remained in their possession so the operator could only run the ride in automatic mode when the team leader was not present with additional keys.

Obviously if any potential fault was discovered with either train, then technical services were called and the normal fault / breakdown procedure was followed.

While that's true, I don't recall Nemesis being operated like that for many years. It's always opened with both trains for as long as I can remember, except when there were technical issues with one of them obviously.

You're correct. Opening with just one train as the norm every day ended in about 2002 at the latest as the Valley was the hub for Early Ride Time, so they wanted the rides running at full capacity.

Had better not give Merlin ideas about opening rides on reduced capacity deliberately to create a longer queue. (Cough, encourage even more Fast-track sales, cough).

Thorpe seem to love opening rides on low capacity, even when it’s goibg to be a busy day!

Luckily towers usually open most rides on full capacity, unless it’s a quieter day. It’s very rare you will see Nemesis or Rita on one train. But you may find Oblivion or Galactica on one station on a quiet day.

The only rides I’ve really seen them add cars/remove cars later in the day is on TH13TEEN and Oblvion.

Thorpe seem to love opening rides on low capacity, even when it’s goibg to be a busy day!

Luckily towers usually open most rides on full capacity, unless it’s a quieter day. It’s very rare you will see Nemesis or Rita on one train. But you may find Oblivion or Galactica on one station on a quiet day.

The only rides I’ve really seen them add cars/remove cars later in the day is on TH13TEEN and Oblvion.
They do it on Wicker Man too.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.