• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The temperatures are forecast to be warmer over the Weekend, (10 degrees Saturday Night and 8 Degrees Sunday Night) so we will have to wait and see if Thirteen open's after dark (baring during the Fireworks display).

Only time will tell if this is due to the low temperatures or some other excuse :rolleyes:

oGPi3mY.jpg

Felt sorry for the lads stood at beginning of queue, having to tell a lie that didn't believe. Thirteen is a scare fest ride. If you need cut costs, shut spinball. Or keep it open. Don't give me this cold nonsesense it's not even below 6

Just a thought, regarding Thirteen. The sun has been the other thing warming up the temperatures, and part of the ride is enclosed. Might be that the temperature in the backwards tunnel is lower than the outside temperature is? It won't be a budgeting issue, Thirteen is one of their frontline coasters after all.

If this is first season this has happened to it i don't think you need to look any further than the team operating rides to the letter of the guidelines, as the park does now after The Smiler incident

Why won't it be a budgeting issue though?
Merlin have lots of previous budget cuts, why can't this be seen as the latest in a long line of cuts?
Follows on from what they did with the Rapids.

I note that Alton Towers are advertising Th13teen as one of the rides that will "reopen after the fireworks" this weekend.

Now either they know damned well that they won't be reopening it at that time or the early closure of the ride has been entirely down to budget up to this point and they're willing to risk it when the park is rammed.

Either way it's absolutely shocking.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I'm pleased to report that the Towers Street Bar and Grill has reopened in preparation for Fireworks! The restaurant is selling hot dogs and drinks.

If you're wondering where I got this from, I saw it on Facebook, but I can't seem to find the post. I'll embed it if I can find it...

Wow, if Merlin are deliberately closing a major coaster on an extremely busy weekend because of budget cuts, that is absolutely appalling. A coaster down on a sell out day with probably loads of fast track sales, I would not want to be there today. Will be fun to check the queue times today

I've been told that the Rapids was closed for night time riding due to the rides CCTV cameras are not suitable for night time.

I was told a similar thing last Wednesday daytime (I won't be name dropping on here) with regards to Thirteen won't be running after dark due to the rides CCTV cameras are inadequate for night time. Saying that, I did dismissed this as Thirteen was open that evening. It does make you wonder....

Runcam make a fantastic camera that works in zero lux conditions, it switches to black and white at night, we use them on drones and planes to fly at night, cough, early evening not night, they're only £40 a piece, surely the park can afford to replace the entire CCTV systems cameras with night compatible ones with the income from one days worth of fast track ticket sales? Surely?

Runcam make a fantastic camera that works in zero lux conditions, it switches to black and white at night, we use them on drones and planes to fly at night, cough, early evening not night, they're only £40 a piece, surely the park can afford to replace the entire CCTV systems cameras with night compatible ones with the income from one days worth of fast track ticket sales? Surely?
They go for a little more high end in the rest of the site called Avigilon. They have these on other rides and around the park so not sure why this system is not rolled out on rapids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would they have a local monitoring system or would it be added to the main cctv system?
As you have to keep in mind the total load on the CCTV system needs to be taken into account.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Would they have a local monitoring system or would it be added to the main cctv system?
As you have to keep in mind the total load on the CCTV system needs to be taken into account.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
In theory there's no reason a separate system couldn't be setup

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.