• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In the current state of the park I think the right approach, given the lacklustre line-up and entertainment offering, should be £26 max to really drive attendance and visitation.

The company can then use secondary spends to generate revenue with more people actually in the park.

Last edited:
I won't repost everything I have ever said about the gate price, no one needs to read all that again.

It is what it is and it's not what it's not.

Fewer people can afford the gate price when it's easier now to have better value (and arguably better quality, the way parks like Towers are now) elsewhere. In the minds of many, an overpriced day out with poor experience and long queues feels like a stab in the back, especially after the glossy OTT advertising, with cheaply decorated travelodges advertised as the most incredible time you'll ever have. It persuades people that they have more affordable entertainment at home.

I think people should still have day trips and have fun away from their homes /towns, but the standards have dropped so much that you can see the effect in the wobbling attendances.

Ultimately I suspect walk in gateprices are so high to subsidise the cheaper 2 for 1 deals and annual pass holders.
Plus people seem prepared to pay it, so why drop it. People like us who complain about the price most likely never pay it as we are as we are astute enough to take advantage of offers and maps.

But dropping the 2 for 1 deals would have a major impact on Towers,

- they would fall out with the brands they partner with for these offers (of which they both benefit)
- guests paying 50% on bogof wouldn't feel they are getting a 'special deal' for cheap entry
- the logo and advertising wouldn't be on EVERY ITEM IN THE SUPERMARKET and then Towers might disappear.

To be honest the marketing department have continued this stupid farce for years, and now only have themselves to blame for the gate price being so high to enable the park product to be watered down by tacky bogofs everywhere. At some point they will have to relent on this policy, but they seem to be sticking to it as an idea.

So guests either see the gate price and realise it is completely overpriced and ridiculous. Or they turn up with a bit fo a cereal box or soap etc and think the park is only worth the half price and they've done well financially.

Just set the park at £23 on non peak and £27 on peak days - maybe £30 for events. Its a reasonable amount, somewhere between their ridiculous bogof fees and worse full price.
Oh and there are alternative marketing avenues than cheap ass vouchers on every item in tesco.

We should be thankful

Describe it as a good deal or reasonable if that is your view by all means. But please, some friendly advice from someone who's been around the block a few times more than you - don't ever be greatful or "thankful" for things private businesses do.

They prey on such naivety. It's a business agreement between you and the company you hand money to in exchange for goods or services. Nothing more, nothing less. Trust me my friend, you have nothing to be thankful for, of any profit making private business.

I 2nd that, for more info, I point you to the current state of the games industry and what that mindset has turned it into!

Currently, the standard business model across the entire industry is roughly...

Step 1 - do something greedy and anti consumer. >

Step 2 - market it as pro consumer. >

Step 3a - be thanked and repeat. .
Step 3b, 1 - controversy. >

Step 3b, 2a - wait until people get board and forget. >
Step 3b, 2b release a copy pasted statement containing the sentence "we have heard you loud and clear and we agree" before reverting the offending action. >

Step 3b, 3a - repeat. .
Step 3b, 3b - be thanked and repeat. .

They ONLY care about your money, a lot of them don't even see you as human!

Last edited:
It also appears that Extraordinary Golf is now complementary with any stay at Towers. Also, ERT remains at the moment.

Last edited:
It also appears that Extraordinary Golf is now complementary stay at Towers. Also, ERT remains at the moment.
That's nice of them to include the Golf with a stay. It's a good nostalgic look back on some of the holes e.g. Rita: Queen of Speed, Ug Land, Old McDonald's Farmyard.

On a side note, will this topic become the 2018: General Discussion that is normally made by a mod in January?

That's nice of them to include the Golf with a stay. It's a good nostalgic look back on some of the holes e.g. Rita: Queen of Speed, Ug Land, Old McDonald's Farmyard.

On a side note, will this topic become the 2018: General Discussion that is normally made by a mod in January?

You astound me with your positivity sometimes @Matt N! :p I would expect, given the price you pay to stay at the hotels, that something like the Golf would be included - particularly given the aforementioned severe cuts to the waterpark times and the current closure of the theme park!

And yes, it will be made into the General Discussion topic :)

I can only assume that trade at the Water Park has been impacted by Splash closures as I can't see how the Water Park could be anything but highly profitable at that price.

More managed decline in other words.

I can only assume that trade at the Water Park has been impacted by Splash closures as I can't see how the Water Park could be anything but highly profitable at that price.

More managed decline in other words.
But... but... they've never included the Golf free! Is it free with the regular Bed & Breakfast package? Or is it only free with what is the Park Tickets Included package during the open season? If it's free with the Bed & Breakfast package, I reckon Merlin could be turning a corner, and the only way is up if they are! If it's free with the Park Tickets Included package, then I suppose they're just chucking something in to replace the theme park and make it good value.

The only corner they are turning is toward more budget cuts, reduced hours and offering and jacked up prices.

SW8 will probably be an acceptable ride for Towers and the UK, but without doubt will be overhyped to death and be a Wooden Thirteen. Which they have done purposefully because Thirteen was actually a massive success despite its hype.

I think there really is something wrong with you

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.