• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Can I ask why you like this? The rest of us all seem to despise the fact that they've made staff cuts on merge points, SRQ and baggage stores. Genuinely curious. :)

For me it seems faster and less cluttered, I always felt that the baggage stations created choke points as groups waited to hand in all their bags and members without bags waited for them rather than allowing the line to flow freely, on the other hand the loss of the single rider queue on smaller has slowed things down at least for those wishing to get on quicker

You would be looking at two separate posts, one for electrical engineers and one for mechanical, rather than a single role. I don't know what salary those positions would command in the jobs market though.

In any case, I can't find any technical services jobs going on the Merlin jobs site. Perhaps they should advertise the jobs if they want to recruit!

For fully qualified engineer for electrical, hydraulic and mechanical you'll be looking at 40k plus easy...

Agreed. And lets face it, Towers will want a full set of certificates [all current, obviously] to confirm the qualifications as there is no way they will risk anything safety-wise for reasons obvious.

I would hazard a guess that a big thorn in the side for Towers when it comes to Technical Services staff recruitment is JCB. JCB will be after engineers with very similar skill-sets to those Towers are after for Tech Services. I have no idea what JCB pay, but they are certainly a very strong local company with a big international presence - you could argue that the long-term prospects are better there for career progression than at Towers. There will without a doubt be shift-work at both places, but no pressure to get rides open for 10am on a shoestring number of staff at JCB.

Seems a bit strange that there are so many jobs going this far into the season. Are they stuggling to keep people or are they finally adding extra staff to help with queues?

Seems a bit strange that there are so many jobs going this far into the season. Are they stuggling to keep people or are they finally adding extra staff to help with queues?

Just had a look on the Merlin Jobs Site & filtered it down to Alton Towers. To be fair, I would not say there are that many more jobs than normal on there. You have to remember that Alton Towers is, in the main, seasonal employment. Many staff get a job there as a stop-gap until they can find something permanent elsewhere, so there are always jobs coming up. The normal seasonal special jobs for Scarefest make-up / performers are there too.

There are, or course, a number of staff who will stay the entire season even on a seasonal contract, then find something else over the Winter months. There will also no doubt be the normal mini-exodus of staff in mid-September who fibbed on their application forms and said they had no plans to go to Uni. It's always the last 6 weeks of season when Towers are often most desperate for staff - in the past they have used agency workers for these weeks to cover non-safety critical roles (i.e. not working on rides).

Next season's park map will list the water stations and sunscreen dispensers as attractions

Two more things that can be added to Alton's (imaginary) list of 50 rides and attractions :rolleyes:o_O

That appears to be a new room for those with autism, so they can get away from the main park and chill out a bit. Seems like a pretty nice idea to me!

Am I the only one that didn't think that they needed to spend money on a chill room when Alton has got some lovely gardens to go and sit in to go and get away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds as well as to chill out?

Two more things that can be added to Alton's (imaginary) list of 50 rides and attractions :rolleyes:o_O

Am I the only one that didn't think that they needed to spend money on a chill room when Alton has got some lovely gardens to go and sit in to go and get away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds as well as to chill out?

Of course they didn't need to spent money on this chill room - but it let's them jump on the "we're helping special needs guests" bandwagon and look good whilst drawing attention away from the many shortcomings in their on-park offering in terms of ride reliability / availability / catering / operations in general this season.

If Alton Towers was operating in the USA, a guest would have had filed a lawsuit against them way earlier in the season based on the "50 rides and attractions" claim. They'd have won in no-time too.

Sitting in the lovely gardens is fine in good weather.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

And when it's pouring it down?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

The only question I would ask about the chill room - to those more knowledgable about Autism than me - is how much "space or peace and quiet" does an autistic person need to chill out and escape from the hustle & bustle of the park?

Where I am coming from is what happens if more than a handful of autistic guests were to want to use the room at the same time (if more than one party of guests is allowed in at once)? The room could become either over-subscribed / self-defeating.

Fully agree that in good weather the Gardens are probably the best chill-out area as long as you don't need immediate proximity to toilet facilities.

I don't see how anyone can object to the chill room. We all know the park needs investment but I don't think we can begrudge them spending money on anything that makes the park more accessible.
It's good there doing it but as a while merlin seem to like to leave lifts unavailable for fairly long periods of time.

The only question I would ask about the chill room - to those more knowledgable about Autism than me - is how much "space or peace and quiet" does an autistic person need to chill out and escape from the hustle & bustle of the park?

Where I am coming from is what happens if more than a handful of autistic guests were to want to use the room at the same time (if more than one party of guests is allowed in at once)? The room could become either over-subscribed / self-defeating.

Fully agree that in good weather the Gardens are probably the best chill-out area as long as you don't need immediate proximity to toilet facilities.
Depends, some just need quiet (where the gardens are useful as I can say from experience) some need the space.

I think I general the plan is for the autistic person to take a few minutes to Carm down then leave.
I can imagine there being an issue with the room still being in use when the next guest needs it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And when it's pouring it down?

When it rains I can see everyone pouring into the chill room at one :rolleyes: From what I can remember, I'm sure that there are sheltered places in the Gardens

I don't see how anyone can object to the chill room. We all know the park needs investment but I don't think we can begrudge them spending money on anything that makes the park more accessible.

I don't object to the chill room in any way. I'm always in favour of making visitors attractions more accessible. All that I'm just saying, the gardens are a great place to chill our for anyone. Why not make the most of them.

Exactly a problem the Jess and I has encountered at one of our regular Annual disability events designed for the disabled. They had a quiet room for those that needed to chill out, when Jess needed to make use of it, it was far from quiet as guest took their children into it and allowed them to run around screaming. There were no way you could chill our in it, it was worse than the main event room.

There should be more chilled spaces, on top of the chill room. The gardens and towers offer plenty of opportunities for indoor and outdoor spaces and like some flat rides, offering this would take some (probably not a lot of) pressure off the queue lines

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.