• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The restoration of SRQ on the above rides would not technically be a reversal of cuts. None of those rides required extra staff to run the SRQ* so restoring it is a cost-neutral change. Reopening the SRQ on Thirteen would be a reversal of a cut, I'd be very surprised to see that come back.

*For Smiler, the loss of the merge by what used to be baggage saved a staff member, but part way through last year they then restored that merge rather than have fastrack and RAP in the same queue. Assuming that merge point is retained, they could use the left side of the stairs for SRQ if they wanted to.

Some better than others. Was great on Th13teen, the ride has fast dispatches so SRQ keeps moving and the setup of station means it doesn't slow the dispatches.

Problem with Nemesis was that the station setup meant that dispatches were often delayed due to SRQ, Rita's problem was that dispatches were/are so slow that the SRQ barely moved and often took as long as the main queue.
13 wasn't the best srq at times, it was a 50/50 gamble and I'm saying that as someone who used it!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Fantastic news if true; well done Towers! See, guys; I said that the cuts would be at least partially reversed if the park did well this year! All you need is a little faith!
I agree. Don't really see how this can be viewed anything other than a positive.

It's really needed on The Smiler in particular.

Hopefully, I will now have time to get corrected.

Celebrating things returning that got removed for... interesting reasons is not high up on my list of things to praise companies for...

It's a positive but covered in a negative spin...
But isn't that the modus operandi of Towers management / marketing team (certainly in recent years)? Namely announce all the cutbacks & reductions in park operations / staggered opening for the new season. Let all the punters go mad / complain about it on social media, then the park back-down a little "as they have listened".

I can see a pattern repeating itself with the pricing of the Stargazing Sheds too - once paying guests (as opposed to people on a press / media launch freebie) have stayed in the Sheds and shared their actual "experience" on social media. You can guarantee that there will be enough staff on duty for any media event - probably even more than one person behind the [free] bar in the hotels / Crooked Spoon too.

And just to be clear, this "make a decision then reverse it" has been going on for years. Back in the Tussauds days - about 2000 or 2001 as a guess, one season management decided there would be no BOGOF vouchers that season (they had big problems with BP vouchers the previous year / touts selling them). So the park opened for the new season and guest numbers in the first few weeks & crucial easter holiday period were below budget. The BOGOF's reappeared almost overnight to boost attendance.

It'd make Galactica interesting.
It would make any ride with some kind of safety harness - be it OSTR or lap-bar - interesting as you would be stapled to the other person.

Being serious, the only rides at any park suitable for single riders queues are ones where you occupy your own seat & sit side by side with other riders, as you would do on any form of public transport. Rides such as the Black Hole & Flume were unsuitable as they required you to either sit between the legs of another rider, or have another rider between your legs.

Don't give Alton Towers / Merlin any "ammunition" as to why SRQ's should not be re-introduced! Back in 1998 when Oblivion had opened a friend wrote to Alton Towers a few times suggesting SRQ's. They entered into some correspondence with a manager of some kind who kept on replying citing every reason they could think of as to why SRQ's would never work. Religious offence, cultural differences, personal offence at sitting next to someone the rider does not know etc... you name it, they wheeled it out as an excuse. Of course, the real reason was that SRQ's would cost money & effort to implement.

It seems that HB leisure are now having to display some of the ‘quirks’ employed on P2P games.

4qRZWpk.jpg

zus2arc.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.