• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

It's just sheer laziness, there's no other way round it. It's meant to be situated in a theme park, not look as if it wouldn't go amiss in a tacky seaside amusement resort. I look forward to an inevitable 'build quality' check on the exterior in the coming weeks.

Even Brean has a better looking facade on Terror Castle than this garbage.

blogger-image-923112769.jpg

I expected it to be bad, but even for Merlin, this is another level of bad.

I think the exterior, while not amazing, looks clever. I like the natural effect of the wood, and the castle bit reminds me of the old London Dungeons entrance in a nice kind of way. Besides:
  • Wayne Burton said it's a work in progress.
  • It's what's on the inside that counts.
So we may well think differently on opening day. I'll admit that the Dungeons was not my ideal replacement to CATCF at all, but I don't personally think that what we've seen so far looks as terrible as some are implying. Even though it's not my kind of attraction at all, I look forward to hearing reviews on 23rd March! I think that those who go in could be pleasantly surprised with what's on offer; the CATCF building gives a fair scope to work with, and Merlin wouldn't want to damage their well-respected Dungeons brand with a sub-par attraction, would they? Besides, Merlin have shown us in Wicker Man that they can do good theming, so I'm optimistic!

Reactions: pj
It looks OK. Whatever they did the facade was never going to be praised greatly. If the current facade was painted over it would be lazy, if the entire facade was themed as a gothic building it would be an eyesore, if there was a themed entrance and a the rest covered up with wood it would be crap... Merlin were never going to win over everyone on this one as the attraction is hated by most enthusiasts.

It looks like a bit of a 'seaside ride', but for something that probably won't last more than two seasons I'm indifferent. It's a cheek to use the parks second hugest indoor dark ride as a paid for attraction, in a family area which has been left to rot and decay, and build something that isn't high on the priority list of attractions Towers need right now.

Meh.

If trees were in front of it, I would accept it looks like a woodland but this is some wood covering the majority of the building. This looks like a Halloween maze that has about 10m of themed wall and the rest is just ugly and nothing to do with the attraction.

@Matt N you’re either one of the most optimistic people I’ve ever read on a forum, or a brilliant troll, either way, I admire you.
Thank you very much @MaxPower; I'm genuinely not trying to come across like a troll, as much as I might sometimes look like one! I've always tried to embrace the positive parts of every development at the park instead of dwelling on the negatives.

While I will admit that I would have personally rather had a family-orientated dark ride included in park admission as CATCF's replacement and I admit that the Dungeons is not my sort of thing due to a personal dislike/fear of actor led attractions, I am willing to look at the Alton Towers Dungeons with a happy set of eyes and say that they should be a great addition to the park that will offer something a bit different to what the park currently has on offer. It should certainly attract people who are into actor led attractions to the park outside of Scarefest, and it might be good for those who are looking for a slightly different sort of thrill to what rides offer. As I've ready mentioned, it's not my sort of thing at all, and it's not what I would personally have chosen, but I am ultimately a microscopic proportion of Alton Towers' target market, and it would be awfully selfish of me to expect Merlin to do everything that I want all the time. Merlin likely know the market that they are dealing with far better than I do. They've probably conducted surveys and market research into what sort of attraction Alton's target market want. If these surveys say that the overriding majority of Alton's target market want a Dungeons attraction, then that's the attraction that Merlin will probably install. They know what they are doing and only have the best intentions for Alton Towers' future, so I'm optimistic that this should be a good addition to the park in the long term.

As for how the Alton Towers Dungeons will work alongside Cloud Cuckoo Land; that is where I do have some reservations, especially if there are themed actors wandering outside like they have at other Dungeons attractions. Thankfully, it would seem that Alton is classing the Dungeons as part of The Towers/Fountain Square as opposed to Cloud Cuckoo Land, which should go some way towards remedying the problem, but in my opinion, having horror-themed actors so close to an area targeted towards young children could be a recipe for disaster if not implemented sensitively enough. When I was a young child, I would have been terrified by actors like the ones that typically wander around outside the Dungeons attractions, so it might not be the best idea to have them lurking around by Cloud Cuckoo Land. This is probably just me worrying unnecessarily, though; I'm sure Alton has a plan in place to prevent any scared children.

So, before I ramble on for too long, what I'm basically trying to say is that while the Dungeons are not what I would personally have chosen, I think that they will be a successful addition to the park that many people will enjoy.
P.S. Sorry for long post. Also, sorry if any of my criticisms are a tad too harsh.

@Matt N you've been mugged off and you're defending the mugger "He stole all my sweets but he did give me one of my cola bottles back so it's not that bad"

This should have been placed in the towers. The wooden fences look Shite and they will look even worse in a year or two when all the bark rots and starts to fall away. It's clear to me that their is no long term plan for this park. There are plenty of hasty cheap decisions going on all over the place but nothing for anyone to get remotely excited about.
Merlin have killed off some of it's biggest brands but it's OK because "it's better than nothing" EXCEPT Other parks in the UK are beginning to take note and taking some of the pie.

Gut feeling would be this was pushed on them thanks to Merlin's love of the midway market. A ready made audience in an already successful park also helps the overall midway figures, as the attendance for this would most likely be grouped into their figures rather than resort theme parks.

I've also got no doubt the money for this isn't being totally stumped up by Towers themselves and is coming from midway budgets too. With money being tight for Towers as it is, they likely see this as a bit of an easy win as there's no way they would have the funds to do anything with the old ride and building themselves in the short term.

Out of interest, I have a few questions about you guys' opinions on a few statistics for the attraction:
  • How much are we guessing this is costing?
  • How long are we reckoning this has spent in planning? (For some reference, Wicker Man apparently entered the planning stages in August 2015 and opened in March 2018.)
  • Is the attraction long or short in comparison to the standalone Dungeons attractions?