• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know managers often read this page, so if there’s an ents manager there - please tell your dancers to smile and try and look like they’re having fun !

First with Mardi Gras and now the new stage show, the dancers look *so* bored, and they’re simply marking through their routines - it’s no wonder they’re struggling to hold a crowd.

I’m a massive fan of performance in general, and I’m not being enticed to stick around or allocate time out of my day to watch the offerings, so the chances of general public who aren’t interested in performance in the first place taking time out are vanishingly small.

I don’t know if it’s a rehearsal thing or a motivation thing (could there be an element of getting what you pay for?) but it’s a poor look for what should be the UKs leading theme park!

I very much expect that the rate of pay is an issue. Entertainment performer gets £11 an hour, 58p over minimum wage for something that needs some skill.
The job advert is here https://merlin.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/19747?c=merlin
I would expect performers to be earning a lot more than that.

Although they seem to be offering progression to £10.10 an hour for ride host when national minimum wage for over 23s is £10.42?

I very much expect that the rate of pay is an issue. Entertainment performer gets £11 an hour, 58p over minimum wage for something that needs some skill.
The job advert is here https://merlin.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/19747?c=merlin
I would expect performers to be earning a lot more than that.

Although they seem to be offering progression to £10.10 an hour for ride host when national minimum wage for over 23s is £10.42?
Many Hosts roles within the park are generally filled with 16-18 year olds fresh out of school. Towers pay the 18+ minimum wage for under 18's so Hosts will realistically get paid that bit more than they could working elsewhere.

Generally if the host sticks around they usually have the ability to progress into a Performer/Operator role. Having a job that pays over the maximum minimum wage when you're 21 is not that easy to come by in the service sector. There's also bonus pay for staff that stick around after the summer holidays as an extra incentive.

Furthermore for a performer role, whilst the pay may be a bit naff compared to other acting gigs, it's usually a longer contract (seasonal) than gigs elsewhere therefore it's more secure work in a profession that's known for being highly competitive.

Many Hosts roles within the park are generally filled with 16-18 year olds fresh out of school. Towers pay the 18+ minimum wage for under 18's so Hosts will realistically get paid that bit more than they could working elsewhere.

Generally if the host sticks around they usually have the ability to progress into a Performer/Operator role. Having a job that pays over the maximum minimum wage when you're 21 is not that easy to come by in the service sector. There's also bonus pay for staff that stick around after the summer holidays as an extra incentive.

Furthermore for a performer role, whilst the pay may be a bit naff compared to other acting gigs, it's usually a longer contract (seasonal) than gigs elsewhere therefore it's more secure work in a profession that's known for being highly competitive.

But whats the incentive to work as a dancer at Alton Towers for £11 an hour when Aldi pay £11.40 an hour? I know the job roles are very different, but it just doesn't feel like you are going to attract a great performer when the pay is that low. Yes its a reasonably long season but I think Butlins offers the same.

But whats the incentive to work as a dancer at Alton Towers for £11 an hour when Aldi pay £11.40 an hour? I know the job roles are very different, but it just doesn't feel like you are going to attract a great performer when the pay is that low. Yes its a reasonably long season but I think Butlins offers the same.
The incentive is quite a lot if you've just finished uni/drama school and you're looking for your 1st job in the industry in your chosen career! Like anyone starting out in a career, if you can survive on the pay then it's all about getting the experience!

Come on, because one is Showbusiness, the other is Supermarket.
Simple.
Dance/entertainment jobs, even for graduates, are not easy to come by, hence low pay rates apart from the known name performers.

The incentive is quite a lot if you've just finished uni/drama school and you're looking for your 1st job in the industry in your chosen career! Like anyone starting out in a career, if you can survive on the pay then it's all about getting the experience!

Come on, because one is Showbusiness, the other is Supermarket.
Simple.
Dance/entertainment jobs, even for graduates, are not easy to come by, hence low pay rates apart from the known name performers.

But in answer to @tayspru 's original point about the energy from the performers on stage it seems low pay isn't attracting the right dancers. I get that people don't expect high pay on their first job, but should this be a "first job" gig or should AT try and put on something higher quality?

But in answer to @tayspru 's original point about the energy from the performers on stage it seems low pay isn't attracting the right dancers. I get that people don't expect high pay on their first job, but should this be a "first job" gig or should AT try and put on something higher quality?
Not only that, if it is their first job they should really be making more effort to impress and improve

Don’t understand why you would temp shops outside a shop, and the second way in/out of the park remains shopless… (FV Entrance)

I’m no operations manager, but surely that’s a far better place for 3 or 4 temp shops (food/drink/sweets/merch)
I'm guessing those temp stall are there to help ease the end of the day rush in Towers Trading (because according to TPWW's video, they just sell what is in TT) so there is a bit of logic to that.

I don't see the FV entrance/exit as a true "official" one; while those in the know use it, the vast majority don't and I guess Towers want most people to exit via the main entrance to stop hundreds of people roaming the park towards FV after closing time. Putting shops there would encourage that I'd imagine.

Last edited:
I don't see the FV entrance/exit as a true "official" one; while those in the know use it, the vast majority don't
I know it's advertised as a "hotel guests entrance/exit" but is it actually limited to hotel guests or can anyone use it? Would be so much nicer to enter/exit there by the car park rather than have to go all the way to Towers Street just to come back again.

I know it's advertised as a "hotel guests entrance/exit" but is it actually limited to hotel guests or can anyone use it? Would be so much nicer to enter/exit there by the car park rather than have to go all the way to Towers Street just to come back again.
I think they could challenge you on entry - though apparently if the Monorail is down they often don't - but I've never been challenged on exit, always use it especially if finishing the day in forbidden valley. Walking back to queue for the monorail would be nonsensical.

i think to enter it's hotel guests only but anyone can exit through it

For entry in the morning (and entry/exit during the day I think) its hotel only, but at park close, anyone can use it to leave the park.

The only time I have seen them advertise it as an exit is on fireworks nights to help ease the pressure on the monorail.

For entry in the morning (and entry/exit during the day I think) its hotel only, but at park close, anyone can use it to leave the park.

The only time I have seen them advertise it as an exit is on fireworks nights to help ease the pressure on the monorail.
That is correct, and they also let non-resort guests use it when the monorail is closed.

As an update to this, it appears the Waterpark is now open until 10pm to all during the summer holidays, not just hotel guests.
Ah I was going tomorrow in the evening before staying the night hoping that won't make it more busy but guess it's quite short notice to make much of a difference for tomorrow.

Ah I was going tomorrow in the evening before staying the night hoping that won't make it more busy but guess it's quite short notice to make much of a difference for tomorrow.

Don’t worry, the evenings have and will remain very quiet.

Last few evenings there’s only been maximum 200 people in the waterpark after 7pm.

Also for summer, there is a DJ playing high energy music in the outdoor area from 5 or 6pm each evening until 9pm. The music plays throughout the waterpark too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the water park have night time lighting that they use during operation on these evenings or is it just those flood lights up in the roof?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.