• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

The trommel is worth saying just how brilliant that illusion is now. I said a week ago how I didn't really care for it much, its existence is still pretty random but wow does having the right lighting and care make an even greater difference than you'd think.

The same true for the whole revamp. Same layout and largely same physical effects, but having true darkness and clever lighting without targets everywhere makes a BIG difference . And I'm sure will be improved further

Last edited:
Now then, after seeing the full package and that POV I looked upon, I'm aware some are holding off that until they see it but considering my situation, I'm not sure when I'll be there so I have to see it. So here's what I have to say...

First off, Gloomy Wood is perhaps in the best state I've seen it in. Yes, Merlin likely didn't have much to do with the area other than some tweaks here and there but those changes such as the crypt roof being moved to the entrance of Alton Manor is utter genius of theming reuse and whoever thought of that deserves a medal IMO. I might be sounding a bit OTT about the area being that good as you could argue it was always good but considering Merlin's track record with themed areas over the park, looking at you TWODW, and of rides that don't match the themed area, Wicker Man in MB and Rita for both Ug Land or Dark Forrest, it is nice to see a main ride and area for once all matching together which I can't remember the last time we had that.

Good to see the full queue line getting used although one downside is that it finds itself a bit too close to RMT which might clash with KC in which perhaps a small shelter to hide guests from seeing RMT might be the only gripe I have. Do like some of the gravestone gags (Uncle Duck is Flume Duck's canon name which I just find funny) although I will admit it can be a too heavy with Easter Egg gags but I don't really mind them TBH. Now with the Pre-show itself, simple and straight to the point in which I have nothing bad to say about it and do love the efforts although I'll admit I still wish we had the flaming face of Keith Sparks still in the fireplace for old time sake and as a wee tribute to the great man himself...

Now for the ride itself...overall, I find it very good although I will likely agree with many above that there are many black spaces that need filling, granted it is hard for me to get a better view of it from some dodgy POV footage but I can get a basic idea of what there is to be seen and I do have some things I'd like to point out. The dinning room sequence feels a little barren compared to before and I do wish we still had the demons or at least something in their place to give something more physical to the room to blend in with the projection effects. One thing I'm not a fan of is the trommel and before you get your pitch folks out it is not the tunnel itself, I'm delight that it is back working again and even from the POV footage it still does funny things with my head although what I don't like is that with the big skull face gone, it just makes the entrance look a lot poorer IMO as it needs something there to fill it up as well as the black space where the clock is.

Would have liked if they had kept the skull face and reused in some form, maybe even add smoke effects to the tunnel to really ramp up the effects to really screw with the mind. Now then comes a topic you'll likely all want to know what I think about...Uncle Duck's grand return. Honestly, he's just there in the background in which the jack in the box overshadows him. Don't get me wrong, it is great to see him back and how he looks pretty creepy now than what he looked before although they could have done something with him to act as another jump scare with the ride as with the many black spaces on the ride, surely they could place him someone there, add a strobe lighting effect and a demonic quack sound to bring him back to his nightmare fuel glory which honestly can be done quite easily. Almost like what they did with the demon under the bridge which was moved shortly after opened and place in a new location.

Speaking of which, I can see much of the budget went into the finale sequence in which you can see JW's fingerprints there in which he always wants a big finale sequence although I will say it can make the rest of the ride, mostly those that had little physical props of just black sequences, look cheap in comparison though not in bad way as most of the scenes look really good on their own, just compared to the finale can have some side effects. Anyway, I'm sure it'll look different by the time I do get to ride it all in the flesh, hopefully all still looking good by then, in which I can get to enjoy it more. Overall, its a very good ride and a much needed modern dark ride the country has been crying out for though honestly I'd still rank Hex as perhaps the best dark ride on the park overall though Alton Manor is a worthy edition to the park's line up and hopefully we'll see more non IP dark rides on the park to follow next if this proves to be a great success which I'm sure it will! :)

Just wondering is the three spiders jump scare, is that from the scene of the zombies coming through the windows from Duel?

Can someone explain how the mirror effect works? Is it a car running next to it? It doesn’t look like a screen?
spiders

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a really good day riding it for the first time today! Noticed loads of really nice Easter eggs such as the original costume worn by Emily in the 1992 dollhouse. I also noticed there's a portrait of Mr and Mrs Alton outside of what looks like the entrance of the original trommel and there was something else opposite. Really liked the ride!

For those who have watched POVs, there are several sections on the POV which appear almost entirely dark, where there are visual effects. They simply aren't picked up on the video.

The only actual 'dark' section is the section after the shadow effect (post trommel) for the following curves.

I also think something needs to to happen at the undertaker's hearse.

I'd also like to see some work in the dining room with the glowing skeletons/guests with the flashing lights in the chest. Seems a bit...static.

We'll leave things in place for opening weekend and the weekend after that. After that then people will just need to avoid the topic.
I hate to moan and hope I'm not speaking out of place but I've noticed that things about the ride are creeping in without spoilers! For those of you who have ridden the ride already please remember that there are still a lot of us who haven't yet ridden it and would like to ride it like you guys did - as spoiler free as possible! Remember @Craig said for spoilers to be in place for this week!

I'm pleased to hear all the positive reviews, but wonder how much of it is down to new ride/experience bias? Not saying this applies to everyone but we do always get it when a new ride opens.

I have never been one to get swept up with new ride bias; not at all. If anything I went in with fairly muted expectation. I hardly came off Gangsta Granny or Nemesis Sub Terra declaring them total triumphs.

Many of the folk impressed with this ride have been on dozens if not hundreds of dark rides globally.

Don't get me wrong it's not up there with what Disney, Universal etc. could do with their unlimited funds - but for £4m? I can't say I could imagine how they could have done much better.

Does anyone know what the jump scare right after the grand hall scene when the lights flash is? it's too dark to tell. My guess is that it's the spirit that's possessed Emily but who knows it's quite hard to see at the moment

Considering that they had a vast chunk of the overall attraction (building, ride system, queue, all related civil engineering) in place, I don't think £4m is a small budget, really.

Jumanji at Gardaland was said to cost €20m. Not sure how much of that would have been the new ride system.

Considering that they had a vast chunk of the overall attraction (building, ride system, queue, all related civil engineering) in place, I don't think £4m is a small budget, really.

Jumanji at Gardaland was said to cost €20m. Not sure how much of that would have been the new ride system.

Maybe not 'small' - but certainly not huge.

I mean Charlie had way more spent on it than that back all the way back in 2006, was also a retheme (fair enough, with added lifts) and was abysmal by comparison.

Does anyone know what the jump scare right after the grand hall scene when the lights flash is? it's too dark to tell. My guess is that it's the spirit that's possessed Emily but who knows it's quite hard to see at the moment

I’ve thought the same, and after 4 rides on Saturday I think it’s a ghoulish Emily with arms stretched or hanging overhead but the lighting is too dim to see it properly

When people talk about specific effects, I honestly have no idea what they're talking about despite riding it for 30 years.
You often seem to be very irritated that people enjoy things differently to you. You were also adamant that Duel was fine as was though.

I think this revamp shows the success and positivity you can bring by entertaining people, without needing an IP, and the difference good lighting and sound makes to a dark ride.

Last edited: