• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

A lot of people are probably negatively reviewing because they miss having competitions with friends and family, without actually paying attention to what's going on around them. They probably therefore don't realise or appreciate how much better the surrounding props and effects are than they were in Duel therefore (im yet to ride but I'm going on those opinions of those that did pay attention to Duel's poor state). Therefore, without sounding harsh, I won't really listen to those opinions if they're just based on "no guns being there anymore". As I've said I don't want to sound harsh, but a lot of the GP that are posting negatively in social media groups probably don't appreciate the work that has been put into it. Everyone has different opinions and I want to re-iterate that's fine, but just how bad Duel had become and how much of an upgrade this is probably is going over a lot of people's heads because of no interactive element anymore.

Went back today for a couple of rides, better than last week for me, seemed to be less dead space, although the "Emily in ride vehicle" effect didn't work during my first ride.
It then closed for quite a long time. Went back on it in the afternoon and the "Emily in ride vehicle" effect was working, along with everything else, was my best ride on it yet. I actually jumped a few times more on this ride than i had on previous ones.

To be honest, I think I was perhaps a tad harsh on Curse in my initial review the other day. Or perhaps not harsh, but maybe more… subdued in my praise than the ride deserves.

Having mulled it over, I’ll admit that I don’t think I gave the ride enough credit in my initial review. In many regards, I do think it’s a rather impressive ride from an objective standpoint, and I think it’s been executed brilliantly overall. Standout positives for me include:
  • I loved the pre-show. That ending reveal was the absolute epitome of “simple but effective” for me.
  • I think that the projection mapping really adds something to the ride.
  • I found the refurbished Trommel Tunnel surprisingly effective.
  • I was very impressed with the quality of the physical sets built, with the Attic scene in particular standing out to me.
  • I thought the mirror trick where Emily “replaces” you was really clever.
  • I thought the ending was an excellent jumpscare.
  • I love the integration of a deeper backstory.
So overall then, there’s a lot of things that I did very much like about Curse, and I think it’s a definite triumph overall. For me, the only two scenes that I think could do with some changes are the hide and seek scene and the Screaming Heads scene.

The hide and seek scene could work with some tweaks, as the audio does still make it pretty unnerving, but I think it could do with a little extra something visually just to break up the darkness. Maybe even something simple like some UV paint or light flashes would do the trick?

I still maintain the view that the Screaming Heads scene feels a bit random and like it doesn’t really gel with the rest of the ride. I apologise if I’m missing some story link here, but when I was physically on Curse, this scene felt a tiny bit out of place. The illusion admittedly works far more effectively than it did on Duel, though, and I am probably being a nitpicky here.

Overall, though, I think the reason for my initially subdued review is because that type of dark, loud, jumpscare based dark ride isn’t really my favourite kind of dark ride. I’m not a huge fan of horror, and that type of ride can often leave me feeling a bit overwhelmed and unnerved after a first ride. Duel was exactly the same, as were most ghost trains I’ve ridden. I know that makes me sound like a total pansy, and I apologise if that means that I don’t appreciate certain attractions as much as I probably should, but that is the honest truth; that sort of thing makes me feel a bit scared on my first ride.

As for why some non-enthusiasts don’t seem to overly rate Curse; what I would say is that compared to its predecessor Duel, it does perhaps lack an immediate hook. Duel had the blasters, and whether you liked them or not, they were popular. Curse lacks a similar “defining feature”, if you like. The removal of the blasters has definitely changed the dynamic of the ride, for better or worse, and while it would be remiss of me to say that Curse lacks an appealing feature like Duel had, I would say that Curse’s appeal is perhaps less blatant than Duel’s was. Duel’s blasters were a very blatant enhancer that added “cool factor” and rerideability for many, whereas Curse’s finest attributes are arguably more subtle and understated.

Last edited:
I think the two perspectives of this ride being quite divisive amongst different groups of people are temporary. Enthusiasts will be very excited to talk about this because it's the new thing for this year, look at the initial reaction to when Wicker Man first opened, there was similar fanfare but the praise for it seems to have simmered down now, although it is still rated as a good attraction. It's been part of the reason I've held off riding so far because I want to experience it for the first time as I have other dark rides and not have my opinion of the attraction caught up in the opening buzz.

Similarly, there were always going to be some MAP families who were disappointed with the addition as they don't see past the guns and all they've known is Duel for as long as they've had their passes. This will not be the consensus of the public at large, and given time Duel will largely be forgotten as the park attracts new first-time visitors. The internet is very good at drawing divisive opinions when the public reaction is going to be a lot more moderate, you only have to look at political polling to see that.

Last edited:
Anecdotally, there seems to be a growing consensus in more casual visitors (trying to avoid the dreaded the 'GP' moniker) that removing the blasters is construed as a downgrade, no matter how good the new theming aspects are.

I can see how that comes around.

In 2003 there was generally a lot of negative feeling about Duel and that it was a cheapening and bastardisation of an original dark ride..... social media back then wasn't what it is now - and I bet if Facebook was a thing then Duel would have been slated by both enthusiasts and GP as HH was something people where 'used to' and fond of....people generally don't like change.

Haunted house needed some work circa 2002 and wasn't 'popular' in terms of ever having a queue but was one of those rides you'd do once per visit as park of your day out 'package', and enjoyed.

Basically Towers need a popcorns revenge style simple shooter to placate that need in guest. And Curse needs a couple of years for people to 'get used to' and a new generation to fall in love with.

and theres no reason they shouldn't enjoy that as in Europe such rides are immensely popular - so it isn't a case of 'times moved on' its an issue with British culture a bit, and lack of good examples.

I believe from what's been said today that the coffin now does have an effect on/around it (as of today) Also sounds like audio is clearer and effects have been slightly re-worked to stand out more.

Hope so. On Monday I assume someone from MMM was constantly re riding and speaking up to ops via the exit station aphone.

Hope so. On Monday I assume someone from MMM was constantly re riding and speaking up to ops via the exit station aphone.
On the previous Monday there was but they went through the curtain and presumably up to the cabin.

Those on the MAP Facebook are probably annoyed they can't cheat the queue through RAP.

Often sometimes people are contrary for the sake of it. Especially when something is popular or well received, and they just HAVE to tell people about how they didn't like that thing.

People are the worst.

...people generally don't like change.
This.
Often sometimes people are contrary for the sake of it. Especially when something is popular or well received, and they just HAVE to tell people about how they didn't like that thing.
And this.

But publicity is publicity and people are still flocking to ride it and have their own say.

I think it will prove to have been a success for the park, regardless of a few contrary opinions on social media while it's flavour of the week.

I think the two perspectives of this ride being quite divisive amongst different groups of people are temporary. Enthusiasts will be very excited to talk about this because it's the new thing for this year, look at the initial reaction to when Wicker Man first opened, there was similar fanfare but the praise for it seems to have simmered down now, although it is still rated as a good attraction. It's been part of the reason I've held off riding so far because I want to experience it for the first time as I have other dark rides and not have my opinion of the attraction caught up in the opening buzz.

I’m not sure the reviews of Wickerman changed over time, but naturally people chat less about rides as they age.

Finally rode Alty Mans.

Came off very whelmed at first. Then had a slightly disappointing run as the spider animatronics didn't kick in and some silly sausages decided to take their cameras out, prompting multiple PA's from the operator.

It absolutely blew my socks off after my final rides. Having noticed all the small details and paying even greater attention to the storytelling.

It's an experience that you simply have to re-ride to fully appreciate . It's extremely action packed despite a few of the dark scenes.

Very laugh in the dark in spots, as well as theatrical and cartoonish.

My only gripes are that the dolls that just pop out at you clearly have a mechanism attached. However, that's probably the whole point as it is an old school, back to basics haunted house, just with a layer of projection mapping effects and illusions.

The notorious dark scene in which you hear Emily's taunted disembodied voice could do with some detailing too, and the very first spiders you see could perhaps look a little less hammy

Other than those gripes, it's another exceptional dark ride after Gangsta Granny, and the strongest traditional dark ride in the country.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I actually saw Emily to my right in the front seat of a ride-car today (not the same car as me). I missed that effect the first time around. Then there was a flash and I'm not sure if something was supposed to happen when it flashed as it was so bright I had to close my eyes (lol). Is this the mirror thing that people have mentioned?

Apart from the darkened hide and seek section, another factor I hear is in the doll's house scene with all the props in there such as the Flume Duck (or Uncle Duck I think he is called now) being that there is too much going on and that maybe they can simply take some of the props out of there and place them elsewhere around the ride and I did think how the Flume Duck could be used for a true jump scare rather than just a fun Easter egg in the background which in all honesty you barely see him unless you are looking closely.

Maybe during the darkened section, you could have the Flume Duck moved towards the end of the scene with him suddenly appearing with a demonic quaking sound that would make that section have something of a pay of and the darkened section could still work as a build up with the duck taking you off guard that would help with the jump scare. It would actually be quite easy to do as all they have to do is move him to that area of the ride, add a strobe lighting effect along with the demonic quake and he'd be once again scaring riders again and would generally catch people off guard.