• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Alpenexpress & Tiroler Wildwasserbahn Rebuild

Whilst my initial reaction was disappointment in losing the diamond mine, I have to say I’ve come around to the benefits of seeing the interaction between flume, mine train and paths in the open air. It’s going to be a lot more visible from all three positions and probably the better for it.

I’m feeling mixed emotions with this.

The concept art for the reimagined area looks stunning, with impressive theming, landscaping and interactions from the paths and rides. it will certainly be a sight to behold once open.

However, I’m still saddened that the Diamond mine ( least as we knew it) has vanished completely. Of course a similar rebuild was never going to happen, due to the fire incident and being an attraction of it‘s time in the 1980’s.

That said, this is still the tip of iceberg of this development and I’m certain more is to come. Like when they built the Snorri dark ride in the rebuilt Scandanavia area. Maybe we will see references/nods to the original attraction when this area reopens.

I think the concepts look really, really nice! The open-air interaction should be cool, and I really like all of the rockwork!

I also never fail to be impressed by Europa Park’s ability to plan and construct things like this so quickly. The fire only happened in June, and the rebuild is already well underway!

I’m interested to see how the new Alpenexpress rides. The old one definitely had great speed and a really fun charm to it, similar to Alton Towers’ Runaway Mine Train, and I hope that its replacement maintains that.

I like the concept art, but it feels very blue-sky.
The first picture with all the sky paths seems the most fantastical. I think the sky bridges are a great way to set this apart from what was there before (and adds something new to the parks experiences). I'm not sure how though they can fit something that expansive into such a small space. The old cave only had room for one path cutting across it.
The last picture (the one we'd already seen) seems the more realistic, with wider low down paths that might also be accessibility friendly? But as it shows the same sections of ride I can't see how they'd do both?

Based on the construction I think they've leant more towards the first concept.

As you can see in this photo shared on epfans.de, the reconstruction of the shop in Spain has begun:

index.php

I love how the train is basically running through the middle of a construction site!

Also, Roland Mack has said in an interview with Badische Zeitung that both Alpenexpress and Tiroler are scheduled to open in April 2024. As mentioned above, construction is taking place 24 hours a day, other than Sundays, and so long as weather doesn't cause any problems they'll make April. Astonishing!

A little more information from the park, which confirms that there will be two slides incorporated into the trail which will be themed to the Yomis. They also suggest that the mine train will be “redesigned”:
“Hooray! The mountain is calling, the Alpine Express 'Enzian' is whistling and down below the log flume is shooting through roaring waters - all this awaits you in 2024 in the new Magical Valley of Diamonds in the Austrian themed area!

The popular family attraction Alpine Express ‘Enzian' is being redesigned and the Tyrolean log flume also invites you to new (wet) adventures. The impressive rocky landscape with ten metre high waterfalls creates a unique Alpine atmosphere that can be discovered in 2024!

The Yomi Adventure Trail is brand new! The adventurous high-altitude trail with suspension bridges, many climbing elements and two slides takes you on cliffs up to twelve metres high through the Magical Valley of Diamonds all the way to the gemstone grotto, the home of the Yomis!

Tip for all Yomi fans: a new picture book with exciting stories about the colourful magical creatures will also be published in 2024.”

The Yomis do feel like they’re being foisted on us.

I’ve still not recovered from them taking over the cinema in the Enchanted Forest.

A little more information from the park, which confirms that there will be two slides incorporated into the trail which will be themed to the Yomis. They also suggest that the mine train will be “redesigned”:

That'll be the repaint and probably a crap train like T-Rex has

The new Mack-powered trains are incredibly comfortable and would support an onboard soundtrack. I'm all for it. However, as with Max & Moritz, Carrara and T-Rex, the main downside is that the first lap will likely be much duller than the second.

Two slides? Excellent.

The new Mack-powered trains are incredibly comfortable and would support an onboard soundtrack. I'm all for it. However, as with Max & Moritz, Carrara and T-Rex, the main downside is that the first lap will likely be much duller than the second.
I remember being pretty underwhelmed by Max - to the point where I didn't even bother with Moritz. Felt more like a kiddie coaster than a family mine train. If they are indeed going to rebuild Alpenexpress in the new style then I'm gearing myself up to be very disappointed.

If they want to keep the VR (an almost certainty) they'll need to keep the speed roughly consistent or update all the different films.

It'll also help that they'll have the opportunity to modify the speed after install (with it being at Europa) and if they do slow it down and it proves unpopular they'll have learnt for future versions.

Hopefully it doesn't take the first lap slowly, as on the ones I have done where this happens the first lap is just a bit crap. 2 laps at full speed please!

I find the main issue with Max and Moritz is that there isn’t really any themeing around the track to speak of. It’s entirely reliant on the interaction with the other train, which I’m don’t think is successful. There’s a lot more rockwork involved here so hopefully those interactions improve the experience.

I love the idea behind Max and Moritz's (Dueling but in the opposite direction), but it would have worked much better with an out and back layout. Sometimes meeting head on, but other times racing side by side, never getting too far apart.

Considering the popularity of Radiator Springs Racers I'm surprised someone hasn't made a budget version with 2 powered coasters instead of the complex slot car system. Not that they could do it within the site available here.

Some more photos that have been shared on epfans.de by members Maicus and Showfan. New Alpenexpress supports are now onsite, and concrete shells for new facades for the Spanish themed area have been going up:

index.php

index.php

index.php

So it looks like Alpenexpress could be going vertical fairly soon!