• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

According to the EP website, hotel bars are as follows:

Bar Commedia dell'Arte (Hotel Colosseo)
Daily: 9am-midnight

Bar Colosseo (Hotel Colosseo)
Daily: 8pm-2am

Bar Eriksson (Hotel Kronasar)
Daily: 10am-midnight

Bubba Svens Sports Bar (Hotel Kronasar)
Daily: 6pm-midnight

Bar Buena Vista Club (Hotel Castillo Alcazar/El Andaluz)
Friday & Saturday 8pm-midnight

Bar El Circo (Hotel Castillo Alcazar/El Andaluz)

Spirit of St. Louis (Hotel Bell Rock)

Roland Koch Lodge (Hotel Bell Rock)
CLOSED

Panoraama: The Rulantica Bar (Accessible via bridge from Hotel Kronasar)
Daily: 9am-10pm

The re-opening of Bar Colosseo every day is a very positive step. According to this, the only bar that is now limited is Buena Vista and obviously Roland Koch.
Suddenly, elements of the next week come sharply into focus. And then blur once more.

Keeping to tradition, here’s a few observations from our visit this week: -

- The new turnstiles are excellent. I was worried the screens would be too bright and intrusive but they’re actually pretty subtle (for screens anyway). The way it frees up the monorail station view and arrival is certainly an improvement.

- The newly paved flooring in the area is another big plus. It feels far more upscale than the red concrete. The rest of Deutsche Allee needs this now.

- The planting is always good, but this year seems better than ever. For early spring, what they have achieved is exceptional.

- The limestone paving in Croatia looks extraordinary - both authentic and smart.

- The Eurofant statue has been relocated to just next to the paddle steamer entrance. Good to see the best mascot getting a more prominent position.

- Magellan, despite being advertised as open on the app and website, is closed. A pretty big fail and a massive disappointment.

- Sticking to bar openings, Bodega only opened 12-3 despite being advertised as noon to 10 pm. Another big fail.

- The website opening times for restaurants and bars have all been changed again, so for example Crocodile bar changed from open to closed, Buena Vista was from 8pm daily only to change to just Fridays and Saturdays. Worst of all though even the newly changed hours turned out to be inaccurate when we showed up to O’Mackays pub only for it to be closed on the Monday.

This all sounds like a minor inconvenience, but it turned out to be massively frustrating when you plan your day to visit Magellan on a sunny afternoon or walk across the park for a Guinness at O’Mackays, assuming the app and website to be correct, only to turn up and they’re closed.

- I have mixed feelings on the new Spanish structures. The theming itself is beautifully designed and constructed, however the point other people have made about Austria intruding into that area are very true. The viewing area on that terrace by Bodega isn’t needed and ruins the sense of immersion that would (and was previously) otherwise be so good.

The structures also dont seem to wrap as far around Austria on the Arena side as they used to, providing a large view into Austria from the area by the Arena. I’ve no idea why they’ve done this, it seems very odd to have such an incongruous sight line.

- The adventure trail in Austria looks to be very involved, but the steelwork for it pokes well above the building lines in Spain and again looks a bit daft. I don’t know if they intend to wrap the steel with something. I hope so, because it looks unfinished as it is.

- More bad news unveils itself across at Hotel El Andaluz, where they have attempted to fix the genuine capacity problems of the bar. Unfortunately the solution has been to rip out the delightful winter garden area and replace it almost entirely with tables and chairs. Worst of all it’s surrounded by a six foot fence which gives it almost a prison yard quality. Hopefully the planting will soften this in the summer, but this feels like a big step backwards for aesthetics, although it should relieve pressure on the bar at least.

- O’Mackays have introduced a limited amount of whisky cocktails over and above the Jameson’s and ginger ale etc which they once did. Whilst it’s good to see more choice, it’s causing chaos at the bar for one bartender to have to make all these cocktails. The queues were often back to the toilets. They either need to supplement the staffing or look at a better way to serve these. In better news, there’s now a Helles beer on draught.

- The beautifully crafted cakes in Chez Marianne appear to have been replaced by a far less refined (although still delicious looking) selection of cinnamon rolls and the like. The same has happened at Fjord restaurant’s coffe shop. Quite a travesty.

- We witnessed cocktail can prices go up literally overnight. They’re now €10 and u have a weak theory about there potentially being less drink and more ice (more research required on this one!).

- Virtual Line seems to be in use more intermittently. Even on the weekends it sometimes only went into use for rides other than Voletarium after a couple of hours.

- The food at Fjord Restaurant is a big improvement. There’s now a lot more variety generally, but specifically for non-fish eaters.

- Misterio is very very good, but the finale involves a ridiculous animatronic dinosaur escape routine. It’s as ridiculous as it sounds and a really clunky finish to an otherwise good show.

- The staff at Rock Cafe deserve a massive shout for their continued excellent and efficient service. Blue Fire was also operating at breakneck speeds with dispatches - fast even for Europa standards.

The park continues to beguile me, even after so many visits. Whilst there are some odd decisions being made, the park is truly world class and remains top of my list. Voltron’s opening is going to add another cherry to the already sizeable cake.

A shame but not surprising to hear that some of the F&B openings are not quite what the website says. I wonder if it still does depend on the staffing levels they have on any given day.

You're right about doing more cocktails at O'Mackays though. Great, but you need additional staff to avoid a long queue, otherwise there is just no point! Do you know which helles was on tap? I'm guessing Erdinger Helles as that is what they have elsewhere on park.

It was the Erdinger Helles, yes. We ended up getting it from downstairs because the queue was so large for the bar, so it’s not clear whether it was on tap upstairs too. I didn’t see it.

That Helles seems to now be available in a few more park outlets, which is a positive move and provides a bit more variety than the ubiquitous Kronen/Bitburger or weissbier. I’m not sure if it’s seeing a bit of a resurgence generally in Germany as even Lidl seem to have a wider selection of it now - their own brand Perlenbacher helles was a new discovery for us last winter and it’s really decent.

Reactions: Rob
A bit of an update: -

- The prison fencing encircling the courtyard in El Andaluz appears to be for a new arrangement for accessing the area via the park in the day. “El Patio” is being advertised as a new Mediterranean dining experience from the Don Quichotte entrance within the park, where you can enter the restaurant from Spain and effectively eat and drink in the courtyard.

Quite bizarre that they felt such a barrier was necessary when there’s only a tiny fence separating the terrace of Don Quichottte where you can have breakfast in the hotel every morning.

- There was a bit of a query on the new Spanish terrace facing Bodega and what service you could receive there. The section immediately outside Bodega is table service from the restaurant (on warm days). There is a separate section towards the Arena which is effectively a free for all.

- The steelwork I was wondering about on the Adventure Trail has started to receive a distressed wood/rust paint finish. It’s starting to look a lot more in-keeping.

- We spotted a great lighting effect testing in one of the tunnels of the mine train which makes the rockwork appear to splinter with red lava.

Thanks for the updates @venny! Do you have a picture of the new seating area in the Andaluz courtyard? Trying to imagine what it looks like. Is there a canopy over it to make it still usable on rainy days?

Thanks for the updates @venny! Do you have a picture of the new seating area in the Andaluz courtyard? Trying to imagine what it looks like. Is there a canopy over it to make it still usable on rainy days?
The Hotel El Andaluz Facebook page have a few:

I think it looks really quite nice from what I have seen, and am looking forward to seeing it for myself on Saturday. Initially thought it might be additional outdoor bar seating for El Circo, which I guess it could be in the summer. Time will tell on that one.

The the strangest change we saw at the weekend was the theming change for the outside of the teacups. Its now fully enclosed with windows.

149_2024-03-231711210128.27987562800.jpg

149_2024-03-231711210128.413136114724.jpg

Here we go.

I’m not sure it’s ever wise to judge by social media posts. The area is pretty congested, although by “normal” standards it’s reasonable. It’s just a distinct downgrade from the beautiful garden that was there previously.

The current EP News brochure suggests it wil also be used as an extension to El Circo’s bar in the evening. That’s definitely much needed additional space, albeit at the expense of beauty. Let’s hope the bar acquire some additional staff to serve said area, since they struggle with the current capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    815.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Think this experience was somewhat overlooked. I’m not a massive “foodie” but I would really like to try “Late night eatrenalin”

I couldn’t justify the price for dinner, but this will appeal to more people.

No food, but appears to be cocktails in all the different rooms and live entertainment.

€135 per person.

Yes, it looks like it takes you up to and including the Japanese room, which means you’ll forego the simulator to space, the space room itself and the finale with the 360 screens.

Sounds like Walibi Belgium's 'Challenge of Tutankhamon' with the failed ending.