• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

It should be open with temperatures above about 2-4 Degree Celsius, which is normally the case until Christmas: it mostly gets colder only in January and February and even then it is rather rare. Another factor is that Mid September is a good time to visit during the week, with low attendance and a good chance for warmer weather. In October it gets more crowded due to Halloween, and then it's more empty again except the weekends before Christmas.

R.E. Driving to EP I’ve done it a fair few times. It is a long one though.

We tend to drive down from Birmingham to Folkestone and then either stop the night in a hotel down there and get a Eurotunnel crossing for about 5-6am the next morning, or we’ll do the crossing in the evening and then drive to somewhere like Reims which is about 2hrs from Calais and stop there. It helps break the journey up for the sake of a cheap hotel room for one night.

We’ve found what works quite nicely is getting to Rust, checking into wherever we’re staying, then heading over to Rulantica for about 5ish and spending the evening there. It’s a really nice way to unwind after the drive and stretch out after being sat in the car for several hours. Still tends to give you enough time in the waterpark to get on everything too.

Coming back I’ve always done the drive as one long journey, but it’s a long time and really takes it out of you by the time you get home. It’s doable, but I wouldn’t want to be doing it and then going into the park personally. For me it’d leave me knackered for the rest of the trip and EP, like Efteling, is a park that demands a lot of energy to get round 🤣

We left a whole day at the end of our last trip so we could leave at the time that suited us. Also staying over at Reims that night.
We were having such a good trip we decided to spend an extra day at the park and drive back in the evening. It's about a 4 hour journey between EP and Reims, so I can confirm that even doing that was incredibly tiring. Worth it though.

I've been to EP three times, one of which was in December during the Christmas event. It was by far my favorite trip and I'll be going back for Christmas every year. The atmosphere, the Glühwein, the seasonal shows, the lights, the Ferris Wheel, it all really made the whole experience much more magical than during summer. We went during the week in the first week of December and I don't believe we waited longer than 10 minutes for anything over the course of 3 days.

The weather can be an issue, on our first of two park days it was too cold for Blue Fire and I think Wodan to run earlier in the day, though they did open them towards the end of the day, and they were open the entire time on our second day. Beyond that, Atlantica Super Splash and Fjord Rafting are closed for obvious reasons, but the rest of the rides are operating as normal. I actually kind of enjoyed being all bundled up in my winter outfit, it made going into the cozy Erdinger Hütte for a beer that much more enjoyable.

And Rulantica especially shines in winter. Going from wearing full winter gear to being warm and cozy at a float-up bar in your swimming outfit is a wild feeling, and since the sun goes down earlier you get much more time to enjoy the waterpark at night, which is truly beautiful.

So, yes, Christmas at EP is a joy. I can highly recommend it.

R.E. Driving to EP I’ve done it a fair few times. It is a long one though.
Coming back I’ve always done the drive as one long journey, but it’s a long time and really takes it out of you by the time you get home. It’s doable, but I wouldn’t want to be doing it and then going into the park personally.

Extra brownie points from Rob for not flying though, putty medals can be claimed and posted snail mail.

If I still had a passport and a Capri, that might be my retirement tour...
If I could be arsed.

Extra brownie points from Rob for not flying though, putty medals can be claimed and posted snail mail.

If I still had a passport and a Capri, that might be my retirement tour...
If I could be arsed.

They're bringing out a new Capri to destroy the legacy, don't worry.

As mentioned above, midweek September is recommended? Trying to plan a Voltron Voyage not a Viewage

The new capri looks poop.
The only possible reason for a passport in my lifetime would be for a slow drive to Europa and fannyland.
You know where I mean.

Hi all, I’ve just got to mention, not sure if this is the right place, but need to tell someone how blown away we were having received the “we’re ALL preparing for your visit” personalised video from EP, how long have they been doing that? Is the vid new this year?

Honestly it had such an effect on our excitement levels I’ve watched it about 10 times, I was about weeping with joy (actually not kidding)

I’ve shown it to friends and family and none of them have ever seen anything like it! So impressive!

Hi all, I’ve just got to mention, not sure if this is the right place, but need to tell someone how blown away we were having received the “we’re ALL preparing for your visit” personalised video from EP, how long have they been doing that? Is the vid new this year?

Honestly it had such an effect on our excitement levels I’ve watched it about 10 times, I was about weeping with joy (actually not kidding)

I’ve shown it to friends and family and none of them have ever seen anything like it! So impressive!
It has been going 6-7 years now. I agree - it's amazing and always impresses people!

It has been going 6-7 years now. I agree - it's amazing and always impresses people!
Honestly mate you wouldn’t believe the circumstances it happened too, I’m doing building work atm, absolutely desperate to get a wall built before the trip, so it can set whilst we’re away.. anyway time is running out and it’s partly because I keep getting distracted with EP research and listening to vlogs while I build, anyway missus said I need to just crack on for one more day, get the wall done thought she’s right, forget about EP, head down crack on, and an hour later they send me that ! Honestly I was floored! Haha Can’t wait!

Whatever it was, its been deleted...

It was a video of someone stood at the entrance to Taron at PL on the phone saying ‘I thought we were meeting at Europe’s best coaster?’

It then cut to the person on the other end of the phone and a bunch of other people stood at the entrance to Voltron.

I thought it was quite a good tongue in cheek joke. Clearly EP had a change of heart 🤣.

It was a video of someone stood at the entrance to Taron at PL on the phone saying ‘I thought we were meeting at Europe’s best coaster?’

It then cut to the person on the other end of the phone and a bunch of other people stood at the entrance to Voltron.

I thought it was quite a good tongue in cheek joke. Clearly EP had a change of heart 🤣.

I don't think Phantasialand do jokes. Serious fun only.

Looking to go to Traumatica on the first Saturday it's running. Will it be quite busy that early in the Halloween season? Also I assume everything important in the scare mazes will be in multiple languages?

Just saw them manage to crash the Matterhorn Blitz in the final brake run with riders in both cars.

It looked like they were having issues with the sensors or the block system because one of the ride operators kept on walking up to check something in the brake run area. The cars didn't seem to be stopping in the right section. The cars all stacked up in the brake run and the ride went down for a few minutes. They started it up again but only one of the trains moved into the station (they usually come into the station in pairs). I could see some drive wheels still spinning in the section of track nearest the station but the car in the rear brake run position stayed there. Suddenly one of the cars which was on the track failed to stop at the previous brakes and hit it the stationery car at full speed.

Not great. The cars have full bumpers but it was probably a 20+ mph crash that the riders in the front car wouldn't have seen coming. The riders seemed ok and they then sent empty cars around which stopped at the block brakes in the switchbacks but the last I saw those two cars were still stuck together. Definitely a whiplash claim if I ever saw one...could be worse but was slightly surprised that the ride ops could send trains round when the system was obviously confused about where the cars were.

Edit: And then after an hour or so of testing with empty cars and doing e-stops to make sure that it definitely won't crash again, it looks like it is back open for the brief 45 minute period before park close. I know that EP is renowned for their operations and ride uptime, but it does give a bit of an air of them being a bit blasé about the fact that they let a rollercoaster crash.

Last edited: