• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

Rita is popular. Enthusiasts may not like it but it has a wide support outside the hobby. Replacing an (at the time) 13 year old coaster would have been madness compared to replacing a knackered 30+ year old leaky Flume

On balance, I think it’s fair to say that both Thorpe and Alton could learn things from each other.

Thorpe, for example, could learn a thing or two from Alton about landscaping, interesting queue design, family thrill rides, and dark rides.

Whereas Alton, for example, could learn a thing or two from Thorpe about flat rides, water rides, food and in some cases ride throughputs.

In terms of water rides; I think they’re a lesser priority in today’s UK park because they cost a lot to run, are increasing minefields in terms of H&S in some cases, and only have seasonal appeal. I think having at least one is good, but I don’t think water rides are as important as other ride categories. For example, I think Alton should focus on flat rides before it focuses on getting a second water ride.
Agree about the flat rides however I would say a water ride would still be an important ride category to look at for Alton Towers if this is more like Tiger Rock than let's say Tidal Wave.

I am genuinely curious on how Alton Towers were able to open Battle Galleons if H&S needed the water to be isolated.

I'd say that in comparison to the rapids, I'd say that a flume would be a lot more efficient, can be compact and potentially less staff intensive. I haven't seen as many staff on Tiger Rock in comparison to Rumba Rapids but I might be wrong.

I would say that Alton Towers gets a flume ride however I'm probably a little bit biased 😂

IMO this should have replaced the flume and the wickerman replacing Rita in Dark Forest.

But that feels too much like common sense…
Personally, I wonder whether both a Water Ride and a Wooden Coaster might've fitted into the site if it was intertwined in it's design? 🤔 It could've been a fantastic themed experience

IMG_3173.jpeg

As of today Th13teen single rider is in place !
This would partly explain the upcoming ride closures. Installation of shelter for staff on ride platforms, in addition to the reinsertion of single rider queues ahead of Scarefest.

When the park has as much work required as Alton Towers, you can't get it all done and up to par in a closed season. I'm a little glad that they're finally being a little brave and completing work during a quieter period, but I understand it's frustrating when there's not much else to take the strain or replace the experiences.
I believe that part of the reason is that they're starting to install shelter for ride hosts and other staff members (rain, wind and sun). They've already been installed on Wickerman and Rita at Alton Towers.

As to why they need to be installed now? I'm a little uncertain, but I would suggest that possible concerns could have been raised by HSE, or an employee body. The weather is also about to start taking a turn for the worse, so it could be some future forward planning.

The queue will divide again for fasttrack and single rider lanes further towards the station.
Exactly like it used to.
Oh that’s alright then we take it. Tbf you have to wait with the fastrackers on Smiler anyway because of how far back that queue is (unless you want to push past them to the single queue)