• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

Seen a comment on reddit, and they have a point - considering what they did in previous years and the fact that they have a world class coaster celebrating 30 years/being reborn it just seems a very cheap thing to do (in both senses of the word) for (inter)National Rollercoaster day.
If it was a stand alone event at any other point in the year, I wouldn’t be annoyed. But considering for national rollercoaster day in 2019 they gave exclusive pin badges to the first 250 nemesis riders, kept nemesis open for an hour after the rest of park close, and even set up a booth with a meet and greet with John Wardley, the whole sausage roll thing just seems a bit s*it tbh. You’d think that they would do something special with nemmy considering it’s its first year reborn and it’s 30th year anniversary since its debut

Just a quick note. Criticising the choice of LadBaby is fine if that’s what you want to do so (hell I’m not a fan either - especially considering you can’t even get a sausage roll on park anymore!), but let’s try and keep it based on factual information. This is an Alton Towers topic first and foremost, not a LadBaby/celebrity pile on topic - we’ve got the delights of social media for that stuff.

I earlier said I understood why they chose to make this decision and I do still think there are reasonable benefits and negatives that for me balance each other, but the date really isn't a good one, I was reading some other posts and realised it is also nemesis' 30th year, I think they will do some stuff for it (I guess the vip could be considered partially and they will probably have some part in the fireworks & maybe scare fest) but for national rollercoaster day, 30th anerversary of nemesis the event they have is a towers time event and they have a celebrity take over a rollercoaster.
I am not one for the national X days, but it just seems like an obvious win to do some small thing, even something like getting a couple tray bake cakes and a gazebo gather the local news and say it is a nemesis birthday thing, PR win, get some social media attention. It is a bit cheap but is a good way of attracting some attention.

I do also find the choice a bit weird, like if the book was about the sausage roll doing something with a rollercoaster (maybe building up the courage to go on one) I would understand, but it just seems to be a bit weird. I also find it feeling very fake about riding and enjoying the fact they are doing it, it all seems like they are forcing the excitement. Not sure if that is how they are like, but to me it seems like they aren't interested in the park or ride, just the event (if that makes sense)

To be fair, I think they've probably done enough of promoting Nemesis this year. John Wardley is probably getting sick of turning up this year. No excuse for sausage rolls though.

Plans are now showing online, it’s to be located on the roof of the Alton Towers Dungeon facing the south, which is the back end of the building.
IMG_8885.jpegIMG_8884.jpegIMG_8886.jpeg

Not the most exciting of updates, but the council have determined the addition of solar panels to the Dungeons building roof does not require a full planning application and they can proceed with adding these.

If nothing else it confirms there are no plans to remove the building, hopefully it also means they have plans to put the building back into 'proper' use as a free entry attraction making proper use of the boat system and full building. That might be too much wishful thinking though!

Link: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=179149

Not the most exciting of updates, but the council have determined the addition of solar panels to the Dungeons building roof does not require a full planning application and they can proceed with adding these.

If nothing else it confirms there are no plans to remove the building, hopefully it also means they have plans to put the building back into 'proper' use as a free entry attraction making proper use of the boat system and full building. That might be too much wishful thinking though!

Link: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=179149

Sensible move. All their warehouse based attractions and stations should have them if you ask me.

Even if it just powers and bigger fleet of electric chargers, it’ll all help.

Towers' corporate team are throwing the doors open to sponsorship enquiries, which alludes to the possibility of ride sponsorships again:

1722859098920.png
More here: https://www.altontowers.com/about-alton-towers/partners-and-sponsors/

Given the "Activation across our marketing platforms for maximum reach" and "Permanent, in-Resort brand presence and touch points", I'm dreading any possibility of being thrown back into the festering Fanta sponsorship era once again.

Towers' corporate team are throwing the doors open to sponsorship enquiries, which alludes to the possibility of ride sponsorships again:

1722859098920.png
More here: https://www.altontowers.com/about-alton-towers/partners-and-sponsors/

Given the "Activation across our marketing platforms for maximum reach" and "Permanent, in-Resort brand presence and touch points", I'm dreading any possibility of being thrown back into the festering Fanta sponsorship era once again.
Oh gosh I can see it now, 'Nemesis Reborn sponsored by Monster Energy' 🤮

1722859098920.png

Could be tasteful. Sure, we could get another Fanta-Oblivion situation, but even rides like Journey To The Centre Of The Earth have sponsors…

With rumours of a repaint we could see a bright orange FantAir…
Weirdly given my dislike for black painted coasters, I'd personally be fine with this if it was orange, would stick out nicely IMO.

All serious thought, I'd suspect that they would have learnt from the Fanta debacle with Oblivion years ago so they surely have learnt lessons.

Air was sponsored by Cadbury Heroes when it opened, and that wasn't too bad.... as long as it's nothing to the extent of Fanta Oblivion. Ideally, though, I would rather see no ride sponsors, given that it can potentially detract from theming/immersion.
Forgot about this.
Even had staff handing out free chocolates as you headed to the queueline.
It was our work meeting point for the day, (New ride entrance...standard rule!)...I did rather well on the sweetie front.
Sat on a rock, having nice people throw sweeties at you every ten minutes!