• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

1.3 million from that amount of Christmas number one sales is not the huge amount it should be.
You can blame streaming services for that.

The average artist receives just £0.0028 per stream from Spotify. The average artist receives £0.005 per stream from Apple.

The streaming of songs have counted toward the UK Official Charts Company data since 2015.

Streaming makes up the vast proportion of UK Official Charts singles data, even though 100 streams is equivalent to 1 purchase. One song has to be streamed 100 times, within the space of 1 week, for it to equate to a purchase.

Contrast that with "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid 30 in 2014, before streaming services counted. They'd raised £1 million within minutes of the song debuting.

In the case of Band Aid 30 though, the single was available to purchase only. Apple waived their fees, for iTunes, and George Osborne waived VAT.

In the case of LadBaby, Spotify and Apple did not waive their fees, VAT still applied, and the amount they were getting was considerably less.

There's a reason why Taylor Swift, and plenty of other musicians, have it in for Spotify. Great for the consumer, poor for the artist.

Source for Band-Aid figure: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-million-pounds-within-minutes-x-factor-debut

Last edited:
I am somewhat indifferent about this decision and am not too bothered overall as I don't see it as overall too important, and I think it could be beneficial or negetive.
I see why people dislike this, as it feels cheap and can affect Alton's brand, but I think the video is not Alton's and it feels like it is the influences advertising it not Alton, so I don't see it affecting their brand much.
I also see it as beneficial by bringing people into the park, and beneficial to the influence by adding more to a meet and greet, acting as advertising for both.

but, I do think that it could make a trend of people at parks, come here to see X person on this day. which I think if it becomes regular it could be negative to the average guest experience.

I do wonder how busy it will be for the large rides, because from what I have seen they are mainly aimed at children so how many would go onto the bigger rides (also remember the cbeebies celebration is still ongoing) so I wonder if they book all the spaces it will reduce the amount of people on the larger rides and could be not so bad for thrill seekers.

I also wonder if they will add scenery (they said making the ride a sausage roll??) so I wonder if they will add some signs around or some scenergy. (I would understand if they don't as it is a 2 day event, just curious if they do)

Alton Towers have been doing this for decades now though, classless PR stunts and gimmicks to try and get in the rags.

We've had the Hamiltons, Alex Reid, Rita being used for bra testing etc...

They just see it as a cheap marketing tool unfortunately. Morwenna Angove was a big proponent for this type of advertising when she was at the park.

I would expect a video made by two YouTube stars to be filmed in a YouTube style, particularly for a short-form "TikTok" style portrait video. It would actually be more weird if it was professional and slick.

I mean overall on there site with all there quick nonsense amateur videos, emojis etc. In my opinion less is more and screams quality, but unfortunately in todays world “more” seems to be better for advertising and keeping people online but at what cost of the brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end it the day it’s not working anyway as the parks quiet and numbers are down aren’t they?

I mean overall on there site with all there quick nonsense amateur videos, emojis etc. In my opinion less is more and screams quality, but unfortunately in todays world “more” seems to be better for advertising and keeping people online but at what cost of the brand?

If you are already following the Facebook page then it’s not advertising it’s providing content to subscribers. There is a big difference in style between social media to those who are already interested in a product and actual media to advertise and find new customers.

I thought we'd realised that LadBaby was a bit of an awful person?

Then again, the amount of Internet personalities that get found out for some serious indiscretion yet continue to have a career (usually diverting into far right grifting) shows that there's no bottom of the barrel for some people.

Viral sensations are far cheaper to work with than what many consider as "real" celebrities. Shame they didn't grab the "Hawk Tuah" girl before her fame died.

I thought we'd realised that LadBaby was a bit of an awful person?

Then again, the amount of Internet personalities that get found out for some serious indiscretion yet continue to have a career (usually diverting into far right grifting) shows that there's no bottom of the barrel for some people.
What “serious indiscretion” did they commit exactly?

Say what you will about it, but they are clearly famous and have a considerable online following who could be attracted to the park by it. I don’t see it as any different to some of the similar stunts they apparently did during the Tussauds era.

What “serious indiscretion” did they commit exactly?

Say what you will about it, but they are clearly famous and have a considerable online following who could be attracted to the park by it. I don’t see it as any different to some of the similar stunts they apparently did during the Tussauds era.

My comment was more on a generic side of "influencer culture" rather than LadBaby directly. Though there's something in my brain saying that there was something it certainly wasn't as problematic as some others that have been found out over the years.