• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

If there is an Egyptian theme then this could be a link to the book of Exodus in the Bible where the Israelites who were slaves in Egypt escaped led by Moses after God sent ten plagues.

The Attraction Source article lists the names of the colours as being “Papyrus White” and “Pearl Gold”. Gold was very famously used in ancient Egypt such as in Tutankhamun’s tomb. Gold was said to represent “the flesh of the gods” and anything eternal. If the ride does indeed have a loose bird theme as mentioned earlier then that could be referring to the Egyptian deity Horus who is depicted as a man with a falcon head.

2c717e7753e157ef1c8ad620de23583f.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus

It would be a very Merlin and Thorpe thing to have the ride themed to an exodus or flight from a biblical plague, just look at the Swarm theming and marketing.

Of course all this goes out of the window if they name it Intimidator but an Egyptian theme could be very exciting.

I know Merlin could offset the entire industry's emissions with their world class recycling effort but are we really expecting to see rehashed Croc Drop theming on this ride?

Sorry to double post, but quite interesting that this bird-like statue that's been there way back since Canada Creek was still standing in Jack Silkstone's last update (2 weeks ago mind, so it may have gone now) - could it be a bit of inspo for a North American bird in a lake/wood/mountain setting?! From memory there were a few of these hidden in the woods around Loggers Leap.

Not to suggest they’re basing a multi million pound ride on a few old bits of theming (or am I). But It certainly looks similar to the bird shape on the plans

IMG_0622.png

The Attraction Source article lists the names of the colours as being “Papyrus White” and “Pearl Gold”. Gold was very famously used in ancient Egypt such as in Tutankhamun’s tomb. Gold was said to represent “the flesh of the gods” and anything eternal.

So Pearl Gold for the bottom half to represent the flesh of the gods. Papyrus White for the top half to appease the planning gods of Runnymede district council?

Why can't Thorpe use actual Egyptian hieroglyphics instead of made-up ones? If anyone's interested, the hieroglyphics on the Chessington fences spell 'Sobek', according to the online decipher app that Chessington created for Croc Drop, so the bird's footprint glyph is a 'k'.

To be honest with you all, before the colour scheme announcement and the supposed Egyptian Theme, I was never particularly interested in Project Exodus. I'm more into theming in parks rather than a thrill seeker, but now I'm actually really interested! We haven't had a proper Egyptian themed ride or area in this country ever since Terror Tomb and Forbidden Kingdom! Nearly 30 years ago!!

If its gonna be on those standards I think it'll be one of the UK best theme park areas, not only for the thrill factor, but for the theming as well, which is severely lacking in Melrins new projects. They've proven us that they can do Tussauds quality theming, as we've seen with the Swarm (which is still Merlins best thing they've made for the UK parks IMO.) If they somehow manage to build this new ride up with that quality, I think we've got something special here folks! Can't wait to see it complete!! Absolutely love the unique colour scheme as well! Gold, not Black or Grey!!

To be honest with you all, before the colour scheme announcement and the supposed Egyptian Theme, I was never particularly interested in Project Exodus. I'm more into theming in parks rather than a thrill seeker, but now I'm actually really interested! We haven't had a proper Egyptian themed ride or area in this country ever since Terror Tomb and Forbidden Kingdom! Nearly 30 years ago!!

If its gonna be on those standards I think it'll be one of the UK best theme park areas, not only for the thrill factor, but for the theming as well, which is severely lacking in Melrins new projects. They've proven us that they can do Tussauds quality theming, as we've seen with the Swarm (which is still Merlins best thing they've made for the UK parks IMO.) If they somehow manage to build this new ride up with that quality, I think we've got something special here folks! Can't wait to see it complete!! Absolutely love the unique colour scheme as well! Gold, not Black or Grey!!
Bear in mind that the colour scheme hasn't been announced yet; documents containing details of it were added to the public planning portal.

I agree with @Plastic Person. I would not expect a huge amount of theming here.

Hyper coasters are rarely elaborately themed anyway, and the planning application did not infer the presence of any major theming structures. That's not to say that there won't be some nice little touches around the queue and area, but I think any theming structures of significant size would definitely have been mentioned in the planning application. I think the planning application might even have said "the ride itself is the theme" or something along those lines, which infers to me that any theme applied will be quite loose.

I've said this before, but my personal expectation is something along the lines of Mako. A vague theme/style with some light thematic touches here and there, but nothing overly elaborate.

And to be honest, I'd be fine with that. The ride will be the UK's tallest coaster, and that is quite a draw in itself!

In other news, construction of the ride's foundations has begun: https://themeparkguide.co.uk/news-page/Project-Exodus-Foundations-Begin

Can't help but feel those expecting a full fledged Egyptian themed area are putting 2+2 together and getting 5.

Would lobe to be proved wrong, but Thorpe themselves have stated a rather anti-themed area stance so I wouldn't hold out hope.

Besides, the plans would show off any major theming structures and elements. Not much to be seen of either.

TBH, given Merlin's track record of dark themed coasters, them going for an Egyptian theme which is a rare thing in this country with a giant coaster that isn't painted black which regards what you say about the actual ride as too with Mandrill Mayham, at least they will look colourful rides to look at no matter what problems they will both have, mostly with the latter.

Bear in mind that the colour scheme hasn't been announced yet; documents containing details of it were added to the public planning portal.
Not sure if this is anything to go by but Thorpe Park Official posted 'Au' on the passholders group yesterday which is the chemical symbol for gold. When they asked for guesses the other week on the theme, many (including myself) put mountains of some sort which they responded to with generic comments and likes; when I mentioned the Egyptian plagues from the book of Exodus after seeing the new colour scheme info, they reacted with a shocked emoji. They have referenced Tutus Revenge multiple times in the comments - so they could either be taking us down a rabbit hole or acknowledging the latest info. I feel like an official theme announcement or at least a teaser is perhaps not far away!

Much like Trooper Looper, I'm also more into the theming of parks than the thrillseeking. These new 'developments' have gotten me super excited; Egypt can be a showstopper when done well!