• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

We now have a TV advert for Hyperia, released by Thorpe Park:

I think that’s an interesting ad. They have got some nice ride shots in there, they got the records in there, and I like the way that they included the big silhouette at the end. I certainly like this more than the whole story-driven approach they were hinting towards a few days ago.

We now have a TV advert for Hyperia, released by Thorpe Park:

I think that’s an interesting ad. They have got some nice ride shots in there, they got the records in there, and I like the way that they included the big silhouette at the end. I certainly like this more than the whole story-driven approach they were hinting towards a few days ago.

Must say, I think that's a really nicely done ad!

Also gets me even more excited for that soundtrack. From what we've heard so far, I get the feeling it's going to be one of Merlin's best in recent years 😍

Must say, I think that's a really nicely done ad!

Also gets me even more excited for that soundtrack. From what we've heard so far, I get the feeling it's going to be one of Merlin's best in recent years 😍
Nothing tops Nemesis Reborn soundtrack for me at the moment!

Most weightless rollercoaster? How many people are going to hear that as most wait-less, and be disappointed when they find a 2 hour queue? 🤣

Not a bad advert overall though, at least this one makes it clear that it is a rollercoaster, unlike The Swarm TV ad.

They can't very well start banging on about "Airtime" and stuff as no one would have a clue what they are talking about. So I'd imagine for your average punter, ""weightless" is most likely to resonate than any other word or phrase I can think of. I think most people would understand what that means.

It's a bit tacky like all short adverts are, but you know it's a rollercoaster, you know it's name, you know it's at Thorpe Park, you know it's tall, you know it's fast. The branding is roughly on key with the wings, the gold, the "fearless" stuff, and the music. So inoffensive and does the job. Far better they used that rather than some of that weird 1990's quality CGI stuff from a few days ago.

I like the 'fearless' angle for this coaster, something to conquer rather than endure, but the whole campaign feels a bit off to me. This is more reminiscent of the more lifestyle-adjacent Colossus and Nemesis Inferno campaigns than anything from the park in the last twenty years. Still, as above, it tells you what it is: a massive rollercoaster.

I was totally digging that advert until it got to the “most weightless” line which absolutely ruined it for. What even is that?

I mean sure, you could tell the public about the g-forces, even if they don’t know exactly what it means it still sounds good. Or you can tell them how they’ll feel like they’re floating, that’s all good. But coming out with “the most weightless rollercoaster in the UK” is just the theme park equivalent of office manager speak fluff that sounds impressive but means nothing. It’s almost like Merlin are determined to annoy us at every step with this marketing campaign.

I was totally digging that advert until it got to the “most weightless” line which absolutely ruined it for. What even is that?

I mean sure, you could tell the public about the g-forces, even if they don’t know exactly what it means it still sounds good. Or you can tell them how they’ll feel like they’re floating, that’s all good. But coming out with “the most weightless rollercoaster in the UK” is just the theme park equivalent of office manager speak fluff that sounds impressive but means nothing. It’s almost like Merlin are determined to annoy us at every step with this marketing campaign.
Look, I am very familiar with thorpe’s target audience (southern teenagers, mostly chavs) and they do not have the critical thinking skills that would make this a problem

I was a bit worried about what the advert would be like after their AI-generated promotional material cock-up the other day, but it's a decent advert to be honest - although nothing spectacular and pretty forgettable. In a way it kind of reminds me of the Colossus and Inferno ads.

Two weeks till opening!

Don't wanna know how many visits ive made to the park since this started being built...

Anyway, testing is still on going.

hyperia10thmay2024-87.jpg

The install of the queue line is still going strong

hyperia10thmay2024-17.jpg

The entrance sign looks really cool. Its double sided which is cool :)

hyperia10thmay2024-47.jpg

The plaza for the ride looks a bit small

hyperia10thmay2024-67.jpg

The model for the ride went for a walk, my guess is they used it for some promo today. A big film crew was spotted coming out the site earlier

hyperia10thmay2024-34.jpg

Also first look at the staff uniform?

hyperia10thmay2024-38.jpg

Two weeks till opening!

Don't wanna know how many visits ive made to the park since this started being built...

Anyway, testing is still on going.

hyperia10thmay2024-87.jpg

The install of the queue line is still going strong

hyperia10thmay2024-17.jpg

The entrance sign looks really cool. Its double sided which is cool :)

hyperia10thmay2024-47.jpg

The plaza for the ride looks a bit small

hyperia10thmay2024-67.jpg

The model for the ride went for a walk, my guess is they used it for some promo today. A big film crew was spotted coming out the site earlier

hyperia10thmay2024-34.jpg

Also first look at the staff uniform?

hyperia10thmay2024-38.jpg

So it’s Village People themed then?

Don’t think it’s been mentioned but Thorpe have posted on the rides page that Hyperia can operate upto a maximum of 47mph wind gusts.

That seems like a very high wind speed limit, particularly given how slowly it goes in parts and how high it is; I’d have thought it might be like The Big One or Odyssey in having a low wind speed limit.

It is promising for uptime, though!