• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Is it a first drop on a coaster? ✅
Is the out of control nonsense drop on an invert better? ✅

So yes, comparable. Also as a coaster it absolutely decimates Hyperia, but theres a fair few that also do that without big first drops too.

Is it a first drop on a coaster? ✅
Is the out of control nonsense drop on an invert better? ✅

So yes, comparable. Also as a coaster it absolutely decimates Hyperia, but theres a fair few that also do that without big first drops too.

Katun's first drop is a typical first drop. It's fantastic, yes, but Hyperia's first drop is beyond vertical and twisted. The sensations on both drops feel completely different to each other. Katun is a magnificent coaster, but it sets out to do very different things than Hyperia. Katun specializes in more traditional B&M invert elements with a focus on positive G's. Hyperia has a good balance of positive and negative G's. They feel very different to each other as they're both different coaster types.

Last edited:
I too am of a similar school of thought. Katun's drop is fantastic, especially the kick, but is very standard faire in a way. Hyperia I was out of my seat all the way down.

Katun is however a better overall ride.

Think the OG poster only asked for rides with better drops, not necessarily same drops?

Either way, shame half the entire ride is 1 drop. Why can't we have a 200ft+ coaster in this country that isn't just a drop (even Stealth sneaks in with the layout half being a drop)

Either way, shame half the entire ride is 1 drop. Why can't we have a 200ft+ coaster in this country that isn't just a drop (even Stealth sneaks in with the layout half being a drop)
To be fair, there are 5 elements in the main thrilling body of Hyperia even excluding the first drop, and I'd personally argue that they all hit pretty damn well (in my opinion)!

Think the OG poster only asked for rides with better drops, not necessarily same drops?

Katun's first drop is a lot of fun, but it's definitely not better than Hyperia's ;)

Took my first rides today thanks to a freebie visit courtesy of The Sun. A tad annoying for the wait for it to open. But managed four rides over the period of the day, including a back row. Verdict was it was good but not overwhelmingly good. It feels it could offer so much more when it hits the trims and the ride ends.

Last edited:
I'm here today and there is a strong breeze. Its been making it around but only just when unloaded. Hasn't opened yet but looks like it will soon.
Thank you.

The gusts could be up to 40mph Wednesday so not expecting it to open at all

It was also my first ride today. Get the feeling there were quite a few people on park who had been waiting for the end of the Summer crowds.

I don't know if that delay in the morning is usual, but I got the impression that it took a while to open as they were testing how it ran in high wind. They did the thing with the water dummies where they started them full and let some of it leak out each cycle until they removed them completely. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same on Wednesday.
If today is anything to go by the wind died down in the afternoon anyway, so you might still be OK.

It was also my first ride today. Get the feeling there were quite a few people on park who had been waiting for the end of the Summer crowds.

I don't know if that delay in the morning is usual, but I got the impression that it took a while to open as they were testing how it ran in high wind. They did the thing with the water dummies where they started them full and let some of it leak out each cycle until they removed them completely. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same on Wednesday.
If today is anything to go by the wind died down in the afternoon anyway, so you might still be OK.
Thank you, the latest met forecast shows strong gusts for all day until after park close yet thank you for your input

So today we finally got our ride on hyperia.

Opened at 10.10am roughly, row 5, not the best row to start on yet still good..

Row 8 was next the speed was far more intense yet i was almost ejected out of my seat with the brakes in the incredible ( oh wait ) splash down broken bricks and weed fested area of that part of the ride...

Row 2 was last ride and by far the best we loved that mostly due to how it felt through the elements...

Enjoyed the ride yet its not without its floors...

Is it best in UK, possibly, is there better not too far away yes there is ( shamballa )

Park was much busier than we expected actually yet manageable

After finally riding Hyperia today all I can say is I'm very conflicted! The ride itself is very good but like many others have said it's terribly let down by the lack of theming. The station is so bland, heck I think Icons may even be better! The landscaping is a mess especially now they've removed the wood chipping. It just looks like someone's abandoned garden especially around the swamp, sorry splashdown element! I hope they address this in the closed season, either fill it in or find away to have the element. As for the ride itself, like I said, it is very good but for me at least not without flaws. First drop incredible, Immelmann ok, outward bank airtime hill incredible as is the stalled dive loop but from the trim break (splashdown) it really kills the momentum for the final part of the ride. So not a new Uk number 1 for me, Nemesis stills holds that for its overall package, theming and ride experience.