• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

I think Severn Lamb did the actual graft on the ride system, rather than Simworx.
I too heard that Severn Lamb were involved, come to think of it.

To be honest, god only knows who you could actually call the manufacturer of DBGT… I always heard it said that Simworx were the “project manager” types that Thorpe Park/Merlin actually worked with, but Simworx, Severn Lamb and Intamin are all names I’ve heard associated with it. From what I’ve heard, there are so many companies who worked on that ride…

As for Project Horizon, I still have this odd inkling that it’ll be an Intamin. Whether or not I’m right remains to be seen, but I’m getting “Intamin” VIBES from this project…

If you work on the basis it's a roller coaster in a shed, that does leave things fairly wide open in terms of manufacturer.

The only one that you would have historically written off would have been B&M but they seem to have been up for anything as of late.

JW hinted at something unique and groundbreaking in that interview he did. I don't think an Intamin multi Dimensional coaster fits the bill. There's already several that exist / will exist by the time this thing opens. Also Thirteen is essentially the first prototype of that kind of ride.

I think it's going to be something new.

JW hinted at something unique and groundbreaking in that interview he did. I don't think an Intamin multi Dimensional coaster fits the bill. There's already several that exist / will exist by the time this thing opens. Also Thirteen is essentially the first prototype of that kind of ride.

I think it's going to be something new.
If I’m being honest, I do wonder whether to take John’s comments with a pinch of salt.

I respect John Wardley enormously, and I’m sure he didn’t intentionally mislead anyone or say anything with any malicious intent, but he has said some things as of late that were either very open-ended or seemingly very open to misinterpretation.

For instance, he talked at that same event about Chessington’s coaster having “solved the capacity problem [with shuttle coasters]”, and I’m still wracking my brains about what he meant given that Mandrill Mayhem’s theoretical throughput is lower than that of some varieties of Vekoma Boomerang…

He’s also said stuff about Duel and Nemesis that’s been taken very literally by some and has since proven to mean something totally different to what people thought it did.

Lately, it does seem as though John Wardley is back in Merlin’s pocket a little more and playing more of a semi-official role in building hype for new attractions. With that in mind, he could well have said what he said simply to build hype for Alton’s new coaster rather than to hint at actual coaster technology.

If I’m being honest, I do wonder whether to take John’s comments with a pinch of salt.

I respect John Wardley enormously, and I’m sure he didn’t intentionally mislead anyone or say anything with any malicious intent, but he has said some things as of late that were either very open-ended or seemingly very open to misinterpretation.

For instance, he talked at that same event about Chessington’s coaster having “solved the capacity problem [with shuttle coasters]”, and I’m still wracking my brains about what he meant given that Mandrill Mayhem’s theoretical throughput is lower than that of some varieties of Vekoma Boomerang…

He’s also said stuff about Duel and Nemesis that’s been taken very literally by some and has since proven to mean something totally different to what people thought it did.

Lately, it does seem as though John Wardley is back in Merlin’s pocket a little more and playing more of a semi-official role in building hype for new attractions. With that in mind, he could well have said what he said simply to build hype for Alton’s new coaster rather than to hint at actual coaster technology.

Could well be the case but I just don't think that type of coaster is what we will get. It's essentially thirteen but indoors and with a few new tricks.

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with what we end up getting.

I'm not ruling out Premier Rides either - the Revenge of the Mummy rides at Universal parks are excellent (but I am sure the rumoured £12.5m budget for Horizon would not stretch to anything like the standard of theming on the Universal rides).

Intamin does seem likely & John Wardley is on record some years ago saying the best ride he's been on is Spiderman at IoA (Intamin). But again, £12.5m would not even scratch the surface for a Spiderman type ride.

Intamin does seem likely & John Wardley is on record some years ago saying the best ride he's been on is Spiderman at IoA (Intamin). But again, £12.5m would not even scratch the surface for a Spiderman type ride.
Isn’t SpiderMan an Oceaneering ride rather than an Intamin ride?

I think you’re right in saying that £12.5m wouldn’t quite stretch to that type of ride, but Jumanji at Gardaland uses a near-identical ride system and only cost €20m (around £16-17m), so I don’t think it would be impossible.

I do think that Project Horizon will most likely be a roller coaster, though, which would rule out that type of ride anyway unless they did something like Gringotts, which combines the motion base of Spider-Man with Intamin’s Multidimensional Coaster technology.

Indoor single rail RMC coaster would be amazing. A couple of launches twists inversions.

The UKs 1st RMC
Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

Seriously though, single rail track might actually good in the longterm maintenance wise and you could cram in such a intense layout in a small space.

We might not be getting that RMC valley coaster we'd all hope we'd get eventually but this would be a worthy substitute for it.

If Alton wanted a single rail RMC they'd need to do what Walibi Holland are doing and build two of the things.
Honestly, not a bad call...the UK's first dueling steel coaster, knocking BPB down a notch with Nash losing its special status there as the only one of its kind in the country.

Was going to say world's first indoor dueling steel coaster but I feel that has already been taken, WDW Space Mountain I feel?

That's not a recent development. John's been doing that for about 30 years at this point, and it's definitely intentional. It's rule number one for building hype around new attractions: play your cards close to your chest and leave things open to interpretation.

I mean....Thirteen is listed on Intamin's own website as a multi dimensional coaster. They aren't building a second one unless they are planning on knocking Thirteen down any time soon which I find very difficult to believe given its age and how much they spent on it.

This is 100% going to be something else in my opinion. I do like the intriguing nature of this project though.

Reactions: Tom