• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Ocean: New Forbidden Valley Flat Ride

There must be a reason why they haven't just re-used the exact site for Ripsaw. They wouldn't be going to all this trouble if it wasn't necessary. This is still Merlin afterall.

Would the new ride being elevated help with the maintenance checks I wonder? It could just be to do with that.

Either way....I'm just happy that there's something new coming. Even though I'm not a huge Flat kind of person I didn't mind Ripsaw too much and it was a real spectacle for the area I feel. Without it the area has always felt undercooked.
“This is still Merlin after all”

They are finally making an effort in a project that isn’t a rollercoaster, if the feedback continues with this level of apathy they’ll never bother making and effort again. They’re doing it *because* of the criticism they’ve received over the years, not out of necessity. It’s a good thing

“This is still Merlin after all”

They are finally making an effort in a project that isn’t a rollercoaster, if the feedback continues with this level of apathy they’ll never bother making and effort again. They’re doing it *because* of the criticism they’ve received over the years, not out of necessity. It’s a good thing

You've totally not got what I meant there at all. 😂

My point was that it's great we are getting a new flat ride and well done to them but they still wouldn't be over spending on the creative structure for it if it wasn't required. Basically if they could just plant one in the space vacated by Rippy they probably would do. There's obviously a valid reason for them not doing.

It wasn't a dig at them at all. 👍

You've totally not got what I meant there at all. 😂

My point was that it's great we are getting a new flat ride and well done to them but they still wouldn't be over spending on the creative structure for it if it wasn't required. Basically if they could just plant one in the space vacated by Rippy they probably would do. There's obviously a valid reason for them not doing.

It wasn't a dig at them at all. 👍
You’re missing what my point is too.

We shouldnt just expect the cheapest possible execution of a project. Is the overpass a necessity - probably not (the Ripsaw site was fine)

However, it’s an additional effort that probably did cost more, exclusively in order to provide an experience that is beyond the lowest cost.

The “reason” could easily be they want to move away from your perception of “what Merlin does”

If Towers was built on “what is required” we wouldn’t get any immersive projects again

I was thinking with the orientation, that it could be because it's a suspended top spin? One of the downside of Talocan is that the seats facing the wall don't get a great view, and I'm sure there's some weird historical wall behind where Ripsaw used to be that would block any theming from being built back there.

You’re missing what my point is too.

We shouldnt just expect the cheapest possible execution of a project. Is the overpass a necessity - probably not (the Ripsaw site was fine)

However, it’s an additional effort that probably did cost more, exclusively in order to provide an experience that is beyond the lowest cost.

The “reason” could easily be they want to move away from your perception of “what Merlin does”

If Towers was built on “what is required” we wouldn’t get any immersive projects again

I see what you're saying but would there have been much push back with typical old Merlin comments had they just plonked it where it used to be? I'm not so sure there would. Most people seem delighted we are just getting something that isn't a fair ground ride.

Like I said....there's probably a very good reason they are going to such creative lengths to install a new flat ride. I'd love to think it's 100% down to a thematic choice but I'm still doubtful that's the reason personally. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I was thinking with the orientation, that it could be because it's a suspended top spin? One of the downside of Talocan is that the seats facing the wall don't get a great view, and I'm sure there's some weird historical wall behind where Ripsaw used to be that would block any theming from being built back there.
Another possible reason if it's a suspended top spin is the retractable floor. It's probably cheaper to build a concrete plinth than dig a deep enough hole.

It does seem early for construction to start, but there appears to be a lot of concrete involved for the base of the ride so it does make sense to get this done during the summer months when, in theory, the weather should be better.

Has all of the outside seating for Coffee Lounge (or whatever it is called these days) been removed, or have they been able to relocate it?

Hopefully they remove/replace the awning and it’s what’s going on the piece of grass with as it looks awful. A covered ”viewing” area of the new flat could work well and would improve guest flow. And allow viewing from the fence by the coffee shop

This may be controversial, but does anyone else think this project seems very over engineered? Looking at the plans, it’s certainly going to be a tight squeeze and I just can’t work out why they’ve flipped the plot on it’s side, when there was a perfectly usable path in between Ripsaw and the coffee lounge before.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m over the moon we’re getting a permanent flat ride but all this concrete just to put a ride on a plinth and an underpass which is not needed had the ride been designed to go in the previous location seems a tad overkill.

I would also argue that FV is the last place a new flat should go right now. The area already has 2 coasters, a flat and a dark ride whereas X Sector and Dark Forest only have 2 coasters and that’s your lot.

Maybe I’ve just woken up in a bad mood this morning…
one reason may be the design of the ride, if it is a floorless top spin, or another swinging ride that has riders facing both directions, it wouldn't be as good if one half of the riders were just facing trees, also building on a plynth allows the to get the ride as tall as it can be and then why not have people able to walk under it creating a nice spectical to watch (look at google maps street view at ripsaw and you will see a large gathering watching ripsaw)

Last edited:
A thought I’ve had about a loose theme this flat ride could have is it being based all round “De-contamination”.

Riders are put in a spin, sprayed with water jets and when the ride cycle is complete, the words “Decontamination Cycle Complete” is played to riders. Riders are then clear to enter the Galactica and RCR plaza.

There could even be a mini show sequence in the underpass, decontaminating guests with shots of smoke.

I’m well aware I questioned the amount of additional infrastructure going into this ride a few days ago so I thought let’s run with it and come up with an idea !

A thought I’ve had about a loose theme this flat ride could have is it being based all round “De-contamination”.

Riders are put in a spin, sprayed with water jets and when the ride cycle is complete, the words “Decontamination Cycle Complete” is played to riders.

This was essentially the theme for Ripsaw, so could well be used again if this is indeed another topspin.

‘You have just been detoxed by Ripsaw, please alight to your right’.