• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Ocean: New Forbidden Valley Flat Ride

Don’t think the application is early really. They last a while and -sometimes- can drag on (Alton have a history of not exactly getting their own way planning wise) so probably want it concrete (no pun ) as early as possible, incase any issues in planning arrise

It’s a like for like replacement, the site has had a flat ride on it for over 20 years. This will almost certainly get waved through fairly easily.

Horizon which is on land not used for decades only took a few months.

I think the strange timing of the application is because - and this is just a personal theory - at some point in the last 4-8 months they've done a massive about turn on the potential Project Horizon. In essence, that whole project has been swopped for doing more small bits and pieces and a couple of flat rides. As in, project horizon is now archived and will not be happening in the foreseeable future. Not just pushed back for a year, actually not planned to be happening anymore. It's useful to have the planning permission for the big shed anyway, as it gives them a good idea that they could get permission in future, but it's probably shelved now. So that decision has probably meant that they're playing catch-up with their new plans, so the timings are going to be a bit out of whack.

Just some observations from general goings on. Could be wrong.

Interesting that they've submitted a planning application for this, as they are able to erect a ride of up to 25m in this location as per Permitted Development. It could well be that the theming and/or associated buildings exceed the permitted 5m height.

As for timing, I get the impression that this would be for 2025 and they're just getting it in early.

It will be 1 million per cent be 2025. There's no way they will want to take the emphasis away from Nemesis after just a few months of a season.

Makes perfect sense to ride the crest of the wave of Nemmy in 2024 and then add further to the land and backstory for 2025 with the new flat which will hopefully all tie into the story and theme. Throwing out two brand new rides in the same year is great for the punters but probably not a great marketing strategy if there's nothing the following year.

I'd be surprised if it is a Top Spin, but it would be good to get a new one. I don’t think it is though as they're saying a tunnel is involved. I just hope it’s good what ever it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This flat ride will most likely be 2025. Constructing in the middle of the area won't work during the season. It will be interesting to see if more planning applications pop up for other areas of the park.

As great as this is, X Sector really needs the support rides more than FV.

Hopefully we get this as a mid year opener, then 2025 the focus switches to X Sector.
I would argue forbiden valley needs it more, due to the nature of the park, as most the current lands are about a 5/10 min walk away meaning you have a large selection of rides reletivly close by but forbidden vally is like 20-30 mins (for the average guest who may not know the quickest routes) and I think people would prefer to stay in the area with most the rides

There was a rumour a few months back of a three ride deal with Huss. If this turns out to be a Topspin then that rumour could have some truth in it. I would expect the other two to go in Dark Forest and X Sector
Said a while back I think we will see Ripsaw and Enterprise return

It makes sense to ‘complete’ (for want of a better word) Forbidden Valley - get the flat ride in and finish the constructions around the new buildings then all they have to do is sort out Galactica, which is only a theming and upkeep issue so in terms of capacity FV will be fully functioning.

And with its closest areas Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon both having had various levels of work happening, it means one half of the park is going to look fantastic. Would expect and hope most of their attention would then turn to the top half of the park, which is going to stand out even more.

As great as this is, X Sector really needs the support rides more than FV.

Hopefully we get this as a mid year opener, then 2025 the focus switches to X Sector.

Am I right in understanding that X Sector is a general development area so they could build a flat ride without applying for planning permission?

It will be 1 million per cent be 2025. There's no way they will want to take the emphasis away from Nemesis after just a few months of a season.

Makes perfect sense to ride the crest of the wave of Nemmy in 2024 and then add further to the land and backstory for 2025 with the new flat which will hopefully all tie into the story and theme. Throwing out two brand new rides in the same year is great for the punters but probably not a great marketing strategy if there's nothing the following year.

I don’t think Nemesis is as big a draw as you think for the general public. Most will just be like “it’s the same ride just a different colour”. Nemesis retrack was a Varney swan song project with a retheme to justify it to marketing.

A double whammy season with Nemesis attracting the nostalgia brigade for the first few months then a flat pulling in the summer crowds could work quite well (I don’t think they would have planned that from the beginning, just that the new management team might have been able to sell that to Merlin).

Edit: Could we leave discussion solely about Project Horizon and any potential delay/cancellation/whatever to it's dedicated topic please. I've moved/copied a few bits over that have been discussed this afternoon/evening. Thanks!

Last edited: