• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Adventure Island: General Discussion

Wow, probably appeals to much of the park's demographic based on my previous visits to Southend mind.

Bump!

Watching TPWW's recent vlog, just spotted this interesting thing on the park map...

Screenshot_20220719-180922.png

Any ideas as to what this major new ride could be?

Bump!

Watching TPWW's recent vlog, just spotted this interesting thing on the park map...

Screenshot_20220719-180922.png

Any ideas as to what this major new ride could be?

I first posted that on the last page, back on 15th Feb. Since then as far as I can see there's been no development at all other than the last bits of clearing away the go-carts, and I don't think I've seen any other promotion or mention other than that one map by the Sands toilets. Not sure whether that means things aren't still moving towards that timeframe, but it always said autumn not summer so maybe something is still on track.

The word project, not ride, makes me think it might be something a bit different.

Didn't new rides used to be referred to as 'projects'. For example Nemesis Inferno was Project Calypso, and Excalibur was Project Neptune. Is Thorpe Park's new roller coaster Project Exodus? I think it's just a way of adding a bit of mystery. Although I agree it isn't necessarily a ride.

A search of the planning portal finds this...

Appears to be early advice on a new drop tower and big wheel. Specifically, asking if they will they require screening for those structures.

Application received 15th July, expires 5th Aug. I can't get any documents to load.

Both the big wheel and drop tower they currently have are knackered old things, so this seems like an excellent choice of new development.

A search of the planning portal finds this...

Appears to be early advice on a new drop tower and big wheel. Specifically, asking if they will they require screening for those structures.

Application received 15th July, expires 5th Aug. I can't get any documents to load.

Both the big wheel and drop tower they currently have are knackered old things, so this seems like an excellent choice of new development.
Shawn actually said in his vlog that he would like to see a new drop tower. Hopefully it'll be thrill one and not another family one.

To maybe overthink it a little, Adventure Island has 'permitted development' rights meaning certain scale projects do not need planning. I've no idea what height limit that might cover but I'm pretty sure Axis, which quite dominates the seafront, didn't have any planning submission required. If they are asking for screening advice for this it might follow that it'll be even taller than Axis and pushing or exceeding that permitted development. Could be quite a size.

As a big wheel should proved good views and the park is sunken, it's a shame they can't stick one on the big space on the pier where the flammable bowling ally used to be.

Well, it's autumn, and so far no 'major development'... then today it seems the dodgems are a gonnner.
20221003_135056.jpg
Thats a scrap metal truck being loaded up, and it looked like the roof was being torn off rather than carefully removed. It may be that certain bits are being replaced, but it looked a lot like a destruction rather than a deconstruction.

That opens up a huge space between the pier all the way in front of axis...

We only rode Rage when visiting Adventure Island (single ride ticket was a bargain) but it did feel like a park of two halves, with the half to the right of the pier feeling a lot more temporary than the side with Rage and the other coasters.

I do wonder what they intend to replace them with, is there actual that much room there to fit anything much bigger of better than the classic dodgems?