• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

If your ever going to flamingo land. (and wy on earth would you) visit the nuclear bunker in York open your eyes to how useless the advice would have been. Also, how very poorly even those working for government in the observation core were protected. If your on guard at the front door, bomb drops. Are your eyes protected. Nope, turn your back. Are you protected if you retrieve data from outside, yes. But you are all sharing a suit.

The place is worth a visit. Go and look at those people tomb. Once you bomb hits your down there till you die. Whilst your there, do something useful.

Also have the safe that contains an envelope. All bunkers have this envelop. Contains orders only the chief can see. Nobody knows what's in it. Defiantly worth a visit. Makes a change from Viking and roman bullshit in york

The government advice has been ridiculed many times since the 80's as it's woefully inadequate if you're under illusions of surviving near a nuclear blast.

But that said, it's still technically true that it would limit the effects of radiation and they can hardly give out advice saying "you're all doomed anyway". Or can they?

Did anyone watch the Chris Ryan shows that were on Sky One, circa 2005. It was a series of surviving different situations terror attacks, riots, nuclear attacks etc..

I've been looking for them this morning but can't find them anywhere. I remember that they were pretty grim assessments that basically said you're screwed but you can survive an extra few days if you follow this advice.

Gotta love a bit of Carrot.

I've just got back from a tour of the Battle of Britain bunker at [what's left of] RAF Uxbridge. Very interesting, but I never knew there was a large cold war era bunker right next door... though it makes sense given the base only recently closed (and is now almost completely covered in tiny, nasty looking, overpriced flats).
Sadly it is not open to the public, and there are no plans to do so. The best I could get out of the staff was a vague "it's used for 'storage', I think."

I remember half a dozen big shelters being taken out of our local urban park in the seventies.
Most towns had them, if they didn't have a few large safe tunnel systems or caves locally.

Quite a few schools and parks had shelters. I believe there is a WWII era shelter under a park in Greenford. And there's one between the tube tracks at Preston Road station. The house next door to where my grandparents used to live had a very solid looking brick "shed", with an 8" thick concrete roof and an obvious blast wall in front of the door...
The vast majority of air raid shelters were actually at street level, or only half burried, so few survive.

Of course, none of these would be any use at all against nukes. ;)

I think on the old forum I started a thread for "militay archeology near you" to cover such things, but it wasn't very successful.

Oh yes, and if you are interested, I did take a few geiger readings in the BoB bunker. Unsurprisingly, nothing registered.

Alot of those small little bunkers near me. That fed info to the above mentioned bunker. All in private hands now. Some are used, one has a train set Down there! Alot on farmers land that people go too but. Obvious they don't want you there, as they are death traps. Imagine being the two people in one of them.

Ah, good old ROC posts. We hunted one down last year, there were pictures in this thread, but Photobucket decided to be arses...

Fun fact, in the last few days, Some interesting new laws have been passed in America. Firstly, the official "safe" level of radiation exposure has been in raised tenfold for no obvious reason.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...adiation-levels-pose-no-harmful-health-effect

Meanwhile, His Trumpness has passed an executive order, enabling absolutely anyone who has ever served in the military to be redrafted in to service in "emergencies".
This is on top of America's existing draft policy where all men (and as of recently women as well), have to register for potential drafting in times of war, or be cut off from all state benefits, forefit their right to vote, and most likely never be able to get a job.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...xecutive-order-amending-executive-order-13223

Anyone would think Trump was planning for nuclear war or something?

I am concerned about how this information could be used in the current unstable times

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

After seeing the nuclear convoy near Glasgow, I doubt it is easy to get to anything on the train without being very deaded