• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2021 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Those prices though!
£44 every Saturday all season, although they are offering 10pm closing it still feels high. Alton Towers got up to £46 this year for ScareFest & fireworks Saturdays, but is either park worth that price the rest of the year?

Those prices though!
£44 every Saturday all season, although they are offering 10pm closing it still feels high. Alton Towers got up to £46 this year for ScareFest & fireworks Saturdays, but is either park worth that price the rest of the year?
A fairly predictable response from me ...

I think £46 is a steal for a day's entertainment, irrespective of what it is.

Pleasure Beach in particular are catching up with inflation and I think both parks will find a better sweet spot between guest volume and revenue with a higher gate price. A packed park at £20 a head doesn't feel like a win for anyone.

Merlin have upped their MAP prices quite considerably, therefore gate has to keep rising to demonstrate the value of their annual/membership offering.

Plus, just down to brass tax, the cost pressures facing all businesses are going to start driving consumer costs up, no doubt about it.

A (much) higher minimum wage, the National Insurance rise and energy price rises are all going to bite by the start of next season, if not already.

A fairly predictable response from me ...

I think £46 is a steal for a day's entertainment, irrespective of what it is.

Pleasure Beach in particular are catching up with inflation and I think both parks will find a better sweet spot between guest volume and revenue with a higher gate price. A packed park at £20 a head doesn't feel like a win for anyone.

Merlin have upped their MAP prices quite considerably, therefore gate has to keep rising to demonstrate the value of their annual/membership offering.

Plus, just down to brass tax, the cost pressures facing all businesses are going to start driving consumer costs up, no doubt about it.

A (much) higher minimum wage, the National Insurance rise and energy price rises are all going to bite by the start of next season, if not already.

I kind of agree it just "feels" high for BPB to set the same price every Saturday all season, when realistically a March Saturday will be different to an August Saturday. Although I suppose if the park is quieter you can re-ride more so the value actually increases for the guest.

Although the price isn't huge compared to some other forms of leisure activity like theatre etc I think it feels like a big jump at BPB compared to three years ago.
But as you say slightly fewer guests paying higher prices is actually a good thing. Also the season pass at £125 does now seem very good at just three peak visits to cover the cost.

BPB on the day price is only slightly higher at £46 whereas Alton Towers is now £58 (not that anyone actually pays that at a Merlin park).

Also yes most of the parks underpay most of their workers, particularly AT needs to offer higher pay for many roles I think so yes if they need to actually pay a realistic salary then prices may have to rise.

Can anyone recommend a 'cheap' official parking solution within about 1.5mile walking distance. The £18 they want is way too much.

Thinking of going 1st weekend in November if winds ain't too high.

Can anyone recommend a 'cheap' official parking solution within about 1.5mile walking distance. The £18 they want is way too much.

Thinking of going 1st weekend in November if winds ain't too high.

The coastal car park opposite the pleasure beach is £8 for 12 hours (last time I checked), as is the parking on the main road in front of the pleasure beach and on the Watson Road underpass and the road directly behind the pleasure beach.

I usually park for free on Lytham Road which is about a 10 minute stroll away. Its a main road so stick your wing mirror in if you park on there.

Last edited:
Then there is Rob's secret parking space...free all day, ten seconds from the prom, between the Velvet and the Beach.
North east corner of the small gardens next to 'spoons, double parking space facing the gardens, diagonal right on the corner.
Not yet had a ticket.

Reactions: Jim
Do we need a thread for getting annoyed at people's parking now? I don't drive and I get annoyed about it. That and people who clearly got there license at Legoland.

I think you need this thread in your life :D

Pet Hates

You can park on someone's drive all day for £5.50. Do this a lot for football away days and never had an issue. Even had a few cups of tea and chats with the house owners along the way.

Just Park

The coastal car park opposite the pleasure beach is £8 for 12 hours (last time I checked), as is the parking on the main road in front of the pleasure beach and on the Watson Road underpass and the road directly behind the pleasure beach.

I usually park for free on Lytham Road which is about a 10 minute stroll away. Its a main road so stick your wing mirror in if you park on there.

Found the council website & its actually very good with parking information. Yes it's £8 for 12hrs in the car park and only £7 for 12hrs parking on the road. Going to use the car park since 1st time every to Blackpool & just want a simple day.

Then there is Rob's secret parking space...free all day, ten seconds from the prom, between the Velvet and the Beach.
North east corner of the small gardens next to 'spoons, double parking space facing the gardens, diagonal right on the corner.
Not yet had a ticket.

If have time, I might have a look for future reference, thanks for the tip.

Now, this is my first ever visit and its primarily to MTFU and ride the "Big One" (still bottling Oblivion) to ensure my adventures abroad next year aren't wasted. Does anyone know what wind speeds are likely to get the "Big One" closed? I know its not going to be perfect, but it may help decide which day to attempt to go.

Does anyone know what wind speeds are likely to get the "Big One" closed?

3 factors in play here.

1. Wind speed
2. Wind direction
3. Can they Be Arsed

I believe winds coming from North West or West are the worst.

And they are more likely to make an effort on busier days. If you go off peak then CBA is a major factor.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

"Don't forget your clocks tonight, Richard" said my 94 year old grandmother earlier today. Some of you young whippersnappers won't ever have the 'pleasure' of turning up to BPB an hour before it opened on a Sunday because you forgot to fettle your alarm clock.

"Don't forget your clocks tonight, Richard" said my 94 year old grandmother earlier today. Some of you young whippersnappers won't ever have the 'pleasure' of turning up to BPB an hour before it opened on a Sunday because you forgot to fettle your alarm clock.
As one of those “young whippersnappers” you refer to, I should mention that I’d forgotten the clocks even went back today until you mentioned it…

I had a clock that I had to reset every 6 months when I was younger, but everything happens automatically these days! In fact I’m not even sure what you mean by “fettling” an alarm clock…

Now fettling around the Towers area means to neaten the edges of new pottery before firing, whereas "up north proper" it means to fix or repair.

And to get back on topic, not only did I turn up at the Beach an hour early one year after the clocks went back, but they let me in at the Arena gate an hour early as the ice skating was open.
Full hour on the park with no rides open...very strange.

Now fettling around the Towers area means to neaten the edges of new pottery before firing, whereas "up north proper" it means to fix or repair.

And to get back on topic, not only did I turn up at the Beach an hour early one year after the clocks went back, but they let me in at the Arena gate an hour early as the ice skating was open.
Full hour on the park with no rides open...very strange.
Ah, that makes sense; being from the South, I'll admit I know very little about Northern slang...

Wow, Rob; that sounds quite surreal! I always imagine it would feel very bizarre being in a theme park with no rides open...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.