• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2021 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I imagine Blackpool will want to set some sort of record for themselves over the coming years. Taking back the tallest coaster record won't happen due to funds and available space obviously.

Replacing / revamping Ice blast, which is in a truly terrible state these days, with a modern world class drop tower with tilting seats etc would be a good pull for the park. Very marketable also.
Yeah one of the new Funtime drop towers would be a great fit. High capacity too. :)
If they really want to put another coaster in then an S&S 4D Freespin would be a great fit (as I've said before).

Yeah one of the new Funtime drop towers would be a great fit. High capacity too. :)
If they really want to put another coaster in then an S&S 4D Freespin would be a great fit (as I've said before).

Pretty cool but I imagine would be quite forgettable too.

Personally I'm hoping that the park and Blackpool council can come up with some agreement and get an RMC on the site of NASHY one day. The coaster is a joke these days. It's not even rough anymore. It's now just brutal and I won't even ride it anymore. Keeping it around literally serves no purpose.

I imagine Blackpool will want to set some sort of record for themselves over the coming years. Taking back the tallest coaster record won't happen due to funds and available space obviously.

Replacing / revamping Ice blast, which is in a truly terrible state these days, with a modern world class drop tower with tilting seats etc would be a good pull for the park. Very marketable also.
I wouldn't totally rule out Blackpool having a go at beating 236ft at some point.

I am not saying it's likely any time soon but if they have learned anything from Icon it's don't spend £16million on a coaster with no real USP that you can't see from outside the park.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't totally rule out Blackpool having a go at beating 236ft at some point.

I am not saying it's likely any time soon but if they have learned anything from Icon it's don't spend £16million on a coaster with no real USP that you can't see from outside the park.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

RMC Nashy. Get around the ruling somehow.

You do have to question their recent investments. Could have built a world beating coaster for £16m but instead went for ICON, which despite still being good doesn't really do anything better than any other ride in the country (speed, inversions etc)

Instead of building a brilliant Flat ride like a Giant Discovery / Frisbee......they went for Sky Force. Hahahaha. Absolute epic fail beyond all imagination.

Instead of building a brilliant Flat ride like a Giant Discovery / Frisbee......they went for Sky Force. Hahahaha. Absolute epic fail beyond all imagination.

Yep, £2.5 million for sky force, when the star flyer that is currently up by the tower would have been a much more popular ride and probably costs just a few hundred grand.

I honestly don't think claiming back the height record with a new coaster is that far out of the realm of possibility for BPB.

A factor behind the whole “change an existing coaster” debate, rather than building a new coaster alongside the current line-up, is that if Alton builds a new coaster before BPB build another one, they’ll lose the joint numerical UK record for coasters too.

BPB doesn’t need to rip out anything IMO, the line-up has been cut fine enough already. They need to compete!

Replacing Ice Blast for another tower ride can’t be the best use of funds. The majority of the public won’t discern Ice Blast to a better tower ride.

A giant frisbee seems like a good investment to me. A world class flat ride that could be marketed on its size and also offer an excellent ride experience.

Equally, as others have said, writing Pleasure Beach out of competing for height records on account of funds is premature. They’ve shown they can obtain funding for rides, otherwise Icon, Valhalla 2.0, Wallace, Nick Land, Sky Force etc wouldn’t have been built. Couple that with one of the easier planning routes of a UK park and a potential record breaker is at least feasible.

First season in a long time I haven't visited BPB.

Hope this Valhalla redo is good...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Pretty cool but I imagine would be quite forgettable too.

Personally I'm hoping that the park and Blackpool council can come up with some agreement and get an RMC on the site of NASHY one day. The coaster is a joke these days. It's not even rough anymore. It's now just brutal and I won't even ride it anymore. Keeping it around literally serves no purpose.

Historic England said wash your mouth out ;)

For the height record; I think Pleasure Beach could easily reclaim it if they played their cards right!

Zamperla’s larger Double Heart model is 230ft (only 6ft short of Exodus), so if BPB built a slightly enlarged Zamperla Double Heart coaster, then that would be an easy (and cheap) way of getting the height record back!

For the height record; I think Pleasure Beach could easily reclaim it if they played their cards right!

Zamperla’s larger Double Heart model is 230ft (only 6ft short of Exodus), so if BPB built a slightly enlarged Zamperla Double Heart coaster, then that would be an easy (and cheap) way of getting the height record back!
Would they want to risk putting millions into another coaster that won't be able to operate in anything stronger than a light breeze though?

Would they want to risk putting millions into another coaster that won't be able to operate in anything stronger than a light breeze though?
For clarity, I was responding to a topic of discussion a little above here, where people were discussing the feasibility of Blackpool reclaiming the UK height record.

I’m unsure whether Blackpool would go loads taller than the Big One by any means, but I don’t think a coaster a little taller than Exodus is impossible, personally.

I suggested the Zamperla Double Heart because it looks like one of the cheapest, most space-efficient ways you could build a tall ride; it’s somewhat akin to a supersized Sky Rocket II, so would be cheap to build and would take up comparatively little space, and has a turntable station to make throughput close to 1,000pph, so capacity wouldn’t be an issue either.

In terms of wind; how often does the Big One close due to wind, out of interest?

In terms of wind; how often does the Big One close due to wind, out of interest?
Quite a lot more often than it used to, at least in my experience. Easy to suggest it's purely down to CBA ... that might play into it a little bit, but I think it's largely down to risk tolerance.

That's not specific to the Pleasure Beach either, I don't expect to ride Nemesis in freezing temperatures surrounded by snow again any time soon. Weather related stoppages or even valleys now create real headaches for parks with the relative ease the drama can be shared.

You could build a taller ride at Blackpool without the issues the Big One has. Although an engineering masterpiece in some ways, it's all fairly simple technology - the trains aren't very efficient. Having the train navigate the turnaround into a prevailing wind was a real error.

I recall a late 1990s evening on a midnight or 1am close and it was windy ... too windy. Did they close? No ... The foreman was perched on the console ladder shouting at train in the distance ... "Come on, do it for your dad!"

Got to recall, there was talks (albeit very vague from what I’ve searched) of an Intamin launcher Kingda Ka style which would’ve gone out over the water (mid 00s?), so not as if it hasn’t been considered before. Is it true there’s even a place where the supports would’ve gone for this?

The thing ism it wouldn't take much to keep PMBO going in winds but it's the outlay versus reward. All trains could be "fast" trains if the brakes were set up to cope with it going quick on a calm day.

I recall a late 1990s evening on a midnight or 1am close and it was windy ... too windy. Did they close? No ... The foreman was perched on the console ladder shouting at train in the distance ... "Come on, do it for your dad!"
That reminds me of the Blackpool documentary, when JR shouted “get the damn thing open!” when the wind speed was only ever so slightly below the limit… it was a different world back then, for sure!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.