• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’m probably way behind the times here, but I’ve never understood the “technical rehearsals” line. Either the ride functions, or it doesn’t. Testing and sending boats around without opening should be enough to know whether the effects trigger as they should and everything works as planned? Seems like a deliberately ambiguous line to excuse further (and let’s be honest) inevitable delays.

If you were planning what not to do when marketing and opening your new ride, I’m not sure you could have done it better than this travesty.

Fair play though, they’ve only had more than three years to figure out how best to market the reopening.
Do they actually have a marketing department apart from whoever pretends to be Amanda on Twitter? Reportedly have spent £4 million on this - I doubt this figure - but if you spent say £45K of that budget on a marketing professional that would have been money well spent! And £100K on a Project Manager who can deliver to schedules! plus some money on techs to deliver. Leaves about £3 million so this should be EPIC

I don't know what everyone's complaining about, 12th April is indeed after the 7th ;)

Seriously though... my expectations were low, we all knew it would happen, but opening Twitter and seeing that was deeply frustrating

I'm going on the 15th possibly even 16th too tempted getting the weekend pass, not sure if it's worth getting my trainers soaked as I typically avoid water rides, the rapids at Drayton are about my limit, I've heard Valhalla is quite the soaker right?

I'm going on the 15th possibly even 16th too tempted getting the weekend pass, not sure if it's worth getting my trainers soaked as I typically avoid water rides, the rapids at Drayton are about my limit, I've heard Valhalla is quite the soaker right?
Unless they’ve changed anything during the refurbishment, it is an absolute soaker!

When I rode the old version in 30 degree heat, I still came off freezing and feeling like I’d gone for a fully-clothed swim; it requires a change of clothes unless you want to walk around feeling very cold and wet!

Unless they’ve changed anything during the refurbishment, it is an absolute soaker!

When I rode the old version in 30 degree heat, I still came off freezing and feeling like I’d gone for a fully-clothed swim; it requires a change of clothes unless you want to walk around feeling very cold and wet!
That will be great when it's tonking down with rain on the 12th. This weekend makes far more sense, but hey it's Pleasure Beach.

Do they actually have a marketing department apart from whoever pretends to be Amanda on Twitter? Reportedly have spent £4 million on this - I doubt this figure - but if you spent say £45K of that budget on a marketing professional that would have been money well spent! And £100K on a Project Manager who can deliver to schedules! plus some money on techs to deliver. Leaves about £3 million so this should be EPIC
Yes, they do. Their head of marketing has only been in the role 6 months or so.

I’m probably way behind the times here, but I’ve never understood the “technical rehearsals” line. Either the ride functions, or it doesn’t. Testing and sending boats around without opening should be enough to know whether the effects trigger as they should and everything works as planned? Seems like a deliberately ambiguous line to excuse further (and let’s be honest) inevitable delays.

With water rides especially, it can be a bit more complex, as different weights in the boats will travel at different speeds. So I guess one aspect is ensuring all the effects can trigger, reset and then re trigger before the next boat comes, with every possible combination of weights in.

Things like audio, lighting, special fx and mechanical effects will be tested during this period.

Usually a technical rehearsal is when all of the show elements are testing together for the first time, so this is the first set test runs of all the show elements so to speak. Where tweaks will be made, to make sure they all flow, work after each other and reset properly before the next boat comes.

Usually, before a technical rehearsal, all the show elements have not been running in unison and together. This could differ from Pleasure beaches interpretation, but that is usually the case. They may have tested them one by one previously.

If this is the case, it shows they are keen to get the attraction open ASAP, by performing tech rehearsals with guests on, but the boat speed issue is something that is most efficiently carried out with guests.

With all that said and the time it has taken them to get this open, I feel it is somewhat of a cop out. But generally speaking, that is what is involved in a technical rehersal.

Last edited:
I feel like one day, Mandy might be the death of the Pleasure Beach if she keeps tweeting the way she currently is. Her cluelessness isn't doing her any favours.

The average guest has no idea who she is, it's only really the geeks who know and we all love her for it anyway.

The inability of the park to cope when more than 500 people turn up is probably more damaging to their reputation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.