• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't think people are thinking, "let's go to the pleasure beach because there is a free show we can go to."

I really don't think hot ice drives any significant extra custom to the park, so if the show fails to make a profit on its own then surely it is losing the park money

This is more a failure of marketing as I expect at the European and some US parks the shows do drive attendance. When researching Phantasialand their stunt show definitely looked worth watching and was a reasonable part of the parks line up. At Universal Studios the Bourne Stuntacular show is a must-see part of the day at the park. Even at Alton Towers I expect some parents plan their day so their children can see Hey Duggee at Big Fun Showtime, or catch the Furchester Hotel, these are probably important parts of CBeebiesland to those with the right age children.

Whereas without reading this forum I don't think I'd even know the in-park matinee for Hot Ice existed.

Just had a look at the BPB website, can't find any reference to free admission to Hot Ice with a BPB e-ticket. So if it part of the park admission they don't sell it that way on the website it just lists the prices for the matinee.

Last edited:
It depends how they account - I am sure that there are some shows which don't cover their costs - in the same way that the park opens on wet Wednesdays in October and 'loses' a fortune - but you take a year long view in this industry.

The panto (also run by SWP) must print money, it's rammed every time I have ever been ... I am not sure if they consider the productions to be a profit centre, or SWP as a whole.

The Flying Machine doesn't make a profit. TAER IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!111111111 and build a Starbucks.

The Flying Machine doesn't make a profit. TAER IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!111111111 and build a Starbucks.
Flying Machines also doesn't operate for 2 hours after the park closes, with a separate entry fee of £39, a cast of 50 people running it and an average of 10 people turning up to ride it. I'm all for entertainment at parks, but I just don't see the sheer number of shows in it's current setup as anywhere remotely sustainable for a business that's supposed to be trying to make a profit.

I can't buy a ticket to just the Flying Machines though.
And @Craig And I guess that is the point I am trying to make ... whatever the Flying Machine, Dora's World Voyage or Impossible cost per year to operate per year - that's what it costs the park annually. ~£120k per ride, minimum - inclusive of staffing, maintenance staffing, materials, utilities etc.

Whatever Hot Ice costs, it is offset by ticket sales, either in part or wholly - no one knows. Companies run coach trips to see it, there is definitely volume there.

Furthermore it's important (but I suspect it won't influence anyone, one way or another) to note that there is a full time staff at Stageworks that work across the productions inc. Hot Ice - Ken Webster, Evolution of Magic, Christmas Panto & parties, the Halloween stuff, etc.

Seeing as they already license the IP it astounds me they don't have a Nickelodeon on Ice show during the school holidays. Feel they'd be able to market that on park well and make a fortune selling pop and ice creams.
I imagine that there is a pretty tight remit on what you can and can't do with the IP - not sure !

Last edited:
And @Craig And I guess that is the point I am trying to make ... whatever the Flying Machine, Dora's World Voyage or Impossible cost per year to operate per year - that's what it costs the park annually. ~£120k per ride, minimum - inclusive of staffing, maintenance staffing, materials, utilities etc.

Whatever Hot Ice costs, it is offset by ticket sales, either in part or wholly - no one knows. Companies run coach trips to see it, there is definitely volume there.

But as @Craig says above, Hot Ice does have a separate ticket and is sold as a separate entity to the park. If it was Disneyworld you'd compare that to the Hoop De Doo revue or the Cirque De Soleil show, not to Finding Nemo the musical.

Also nowhere on the website does it mention anything about the park admission eticket giving admission to the show https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/shows/hot-ice/

Although good point on the other shows, I wonder if Evolution of Magic and Ken Webster attract bigger crowds? Although they will have smaller casts but the entry fee is also lower.

Last edited:
But as @Craig says above, Hot Ice does have a separate ticket and is sold as a separate entity to the park. If it was Disneyworld you'd compare that to the Hoop De Doo revue or the Cirque De Soleil show, not to Finding Nemo the musical.
But as @Rick said, it's both ! I don't understand why that's so difficult for people to understand.

2 hours of a full show in the evening, a 50 minute preview during the day.

Also nowhere on the website does it mention anything about the park admission eticket giving admission to the show https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/shows/hot-ice/
The matinees haven't started yet.

But as @Rick said, it's both ! I don't understand why that's so difficult for people to understand.

2 hours of a full show in the evening, a 50 minute preview during the day.

The matinees haven't started yet.

Yep and I would be judging it as both if there was anything on the BPB website informing me of that. Yes the daily matinees don't start for another week or two, but people are probably thinking about booking for the school holidays, for some people knowing that they can see the in-park show for free might actually be a good selling point for the £40 eticket, knowing you are getting to see a £15 ice show included.

I think everyone gets that it is both, but it doesn't appear the evening shows are covering costs. The afternoon ones might as part of the overall day out to BPB but nowhere does it tell me the show exists as part of my day out. Whereas I know if I go to Alton Towers in September I can enjoy an awesome choice of delightfully themed entertainment for all ages at Oktoberfest. Or go on the 4th November and fireworks are included in the ticket price at AT. But BPB don't give that information about Hot Ice, probably because they want to sell tickets instead, I can buy a matinee ticket but might then turn up and find out I wasted that cash as the eticket gets me in!

Which means if I did plan ahead and book tickets for the matinee show I've wasted £15+ if I have park admission too.
If they are running it as part of the park it needs to be clear that it is included with admission.
This. Also, this again for season pass holders - the season pass bit of the website says there's a discount on Hot Ice but not what it is, how to get it, whether it is just "your season pass gets you an e-ticket which gets you a free matinee show" or "x% off any ticket". Pretty sure it's just the fact you get an e-ticket which gets you the maintee....

Fantissima is the sort of thing the evening showing of Hot Ice should be compared to. Park based but separate show. Was heaving on our visit as the entrance it near Charles Lindbergh entrance

Another dead holiday maker changeover day on the park. Balmoral car park ...

PXL_20230707_140445377.jpg

Best get Speedy Pass

PXL_20230707_154307051.jpg

Icon queue out of the gates. Big One way down the ramp.

Just been in the (literal) queue for our Hot Ice tickets.

I honestly don't know how they're making any money.

Re: Hot Ice pricing. As below - no distinction between season pass holders / e-ticket day visitors:

PXL_20230707_154943218.jpg

Come on Rick...The Tartan Invasion began last weekend, and school trip season, some of the busiest weeks of the year, and the single, well forecast hottest day of the week...
Friday is changeover day, like Monday, and it remains donkeys day off at the request of the donkey men, because it has always been one of the quietest days.
Full review of Hot Ice expected...waiting for two bloody mingo ones, let's not make it a hat trick.

Regarding Hot Ice, my calculations previously were based on 28 dancers on £20 an hour for 8 hours a day split shift to cover both performances, warm up, cool downs etc and that would come to £4480 per day but I have no idea how much a professional dancer earns?

Freelance audio tech is at least £200 a day being on the low side. Also need a lighting tech, at least 5 people to staff concessions and entrances/floor and then you need to light the place etc.

To show a night from last year assuming everyone pays top whack:

Now lets have a look for tomorrow, BH Monday with 2 showings assuming everyone is paying max (adult) prices. Only the evening showing shows the seat map.

Evening Showing:

Yellow: 42 x £18 = £756
Green: 63 x £25 = £1575
Pink: 2 x £18 = £36
Blue: 110 x £28 = £3080
Red: 38 x £32 = £1216
Standing: 0 x £10 = £0

Total Takings: £6663
Tickets Sold: 255

Reported Venue Capacity: 2000

I'm not au fait with costs of running such a show but with 28 reported dancers, I doubt it is cheap. Anyone up to speed on costs?

Hot Ice in the day being free with entry makes £0, as expected as it runs as part of the park. The evening doesn't seem to cover the day costs though, not that it is expected to mind you.

Tonight, again assuming everyone is full rate:

Yellow: 61 x £18 = £1098
Green: 71 x £25 = £1775
Blue: 149 x £28 = £4172
Purple: 0 x £18 = £0
Red: 6 x £10 = £60
Pink: 39 x £32 = £1248

Total: 326 Guests = £8353

I would be interested to know , do you have to book the mattinee show if you are in the park or can you just rock up?

I would expect a fully integrated park show to be available to just walk in before the show starts .

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

PXL_20230707_144912389.jpg

PXL_20230707_150400832.jpg

PXL_20230707_200753659.jpg

JJJOOOOOOOOHHHNNNNNN !

PXL_20230707_185015053.jpg

-----

I know queue times and seating plans on the internet are more accurate than actually being anywhere ... but ... I counted 380 folks in the audience, the good lady counted 396. There seemed to be around ~45 coming out of the White Tower for the Show & Dine deal, too. I got the impression a lot of the people in the crowd hadn't been on park, they were on the older side so they won't have paid for an E-Ticket, obviously ...

Between us, we spent around £80 - on tickets, three rounds of drinks, a programme & popcorn. I don't know if that's typical but it's probably worth factoring in to the sums, the queue at the bar was long. We didn't pre-book our interval drinks which was a bit of a rookie error really, I don't recall it being that busy last year, but it was later in the season. One thing that I did think about tonight is that the location doesn't help - I suspect for ease, a lot of people do go and see a two-bob shitbag Robbie Williams tribute at Viva because it's closer to everything else in town.

At the risk of diluting the doom and gloom, it's such a great show, lots of new bits and some greatest hits too. The Valhalla sequence is extremely well done - it shows off the soundtrack in a way that its use around the ride really doesn't. There seemed to be more effects in the show than there have been for a while.

Talking of Valhalla, it was on point today - every single effect bar the new thing above drop 2 was working, including river of the fire and all four fire blasts.

Get on the Dipper, it's riding great and looks fabulous... and go and see Hot Ice - it's such a feel good show... get a front row seat so you can hand slap the cast like you're on the Canal Turn.

I need a rest from this thread, it's bringing me down. Have a great summer !

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.