• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

This is definitely a consideration for any park entry changes and something highlighted by the 1997 Pleasure Beach documentary.

I think in terms of rowdy teenagers, times have changed, and drinking culture seems to have changed somewhat too. I don't think rowdy behaviour would be so prevalent as long as there is a non-rider walk-around wristband fee and a full-day / half-day rider ticketing system - potentially paired with a tiered ride access system such as; Kids Rides, Family Rides, and Thrill Seekers. This is inclusive for the whole family then, non-riders for grandparents, kids rides for the kids, family rides for mum and thrill seeker dad to generalize.

Just to conclude the security risk element, you don't want non-paying customers in the park, and anyone with ill intent will pay to enter to cause harm regardless if it is predatory or worse behaviour. A paid entry system should also help to keep out any rowdy Hen or Stag parties, stopping them from just wandering on the park as was the issue previously during PPR. People are less likely to cause trouble if they have paid to be there and know they will be thrown out.

It is the best happy medium to enable flexibility of entry time and ridership level to the GP without the need for PPR. I think PPR has had it's day, and there is better value gained from flexible fixed pricing where you gain your profits on purchase regardless of what the customer does within the park after that point.

It would also be much easier to calculate ROI from marketing efforts too by calculating ticket purchases by ride access tiers and by full-day / half-day duration correlated to promotions, and to better identify ridership levels i.e Kids Rides, Family Rides, Thrill Seekers and appetite for duration on park as well as attendance levels throughout the day.

There's also a marketing point around the wristbands being accessible for all age ranges, where older or less economically adapt customers may not have access or the understanding of smartphones and app installs for ride access. There's certainly a positive spin, and the wristband is always something you can retain after a visit for a memory box or scrapbook. I know I have old football ticket stubs, festival wristbands and so forth stored in a box. Anything to put the phones away for a few hours is a win for families too.

...That sounds like going back to the old books of tickets...
Differentation for varying groups...family books of tickets, general books, white knuckle books, and a nice souvenir ticket on the end of the book, and flexible prices on the day for books of tickets...just like it used to be!
Older or less economically adept riders are catered for, and the park takes its profit in advance...the tickets are sold however many are actually used.
And the park has clear information on its return on investment, and a clear record of the most popular rides.
So, paid entry and tickets...looks like back to the future, but it works really well...and no more massive queues, back to a maximum ten minute wait for most rides.
POP is crap, and is killing the park.

This is definitely a consideration for any park entry changes and something highlighted by the 1997 Pleasure Beach documentary.

I think in terms of rowdy teenagers, times have changed, and drinking culture seems to have changed somewhat too. I don't think rowdy behaviour would be so prevalent as long as there is a non-rider walk-around wristband fee and a full-day / half-day rider ticketing system - potentially paired with a tiered ride access system such as; Kids Rides, Family Rides, and Thrill Seekers. This is inclusive for the whole family then, non-riders for grandparents, kids rides for the kids, family rides for mum and thrill seeker dad to generalize.

Just to conclude the security risk element, you don't want non-paying customers in the park, and anyone with ill intent will pay to enter to cause harm regardless if it is predatory or worse behaviour. A paid entry system should also help to keep out any rowdy Hen or Stag parties, stopping them from just wandering on the park as was the issue previously during PPR. People are less likely to cause trouble if they have paid to be there and know they will be thrown out.

It is the best happy medium to enable flexibility of entry time and ridership level to the GP without the need for PPR. I think PPR has had it's day, and there is better value gained from flexible fixed pricing where you gain your profits on purchase regardless of what the customer does within the park after that point.

It would also be much easier to calculate ROI from marketing efforts too by calculating ticket purchases by ride access tiers and by full-day / half-day duration correlated to promotions, and to better identify ridership levels i.e Kids Rides, Family Rides, Thrill Seekers and appetite for duration on park as well as attendance levels throughout the day.

There's also a marketing point around the wristbands being accessible for all age ranges, where older or less economically adapt customers may not have access or the understanding of smartphones and app installs for ride access. There's certainly a positive spin, and the wristband is always something you can retain after a visit for a memory box or scrapbook. I know I have old football ticket stubs, festival wristbands and so forth stored in a box. Anything to put the phones away for a few hours is a win for families too.

As someone in the marketing and advertising industry, my assumption is they do exactly as they're directed from above.

I really feel for anyone working under that direction, and I'm sure it does not allow for much creative freedom. My guess would be everything is ideated and signed off by Amanda or a senior team that understands that any efforts need only appeal to Amanda's taste to get anything greenlit. Either that, or they are just so blind to see that what they are doing isn't effective, or as effective as it could be and that ranges from paid advertising efforts to organic content, events and influencer/enthusiast partnerships.

I say this given her twitter antics and a lack of any public relations interventions showcases that there seems to be a culture of fear of management. This also comes from every sentiment I have picked up on from Youtube comments about people who have, or have known people to work at the park under Amanda's stewardship over the last 2 decades as well as the general sentiment amongst enthusiasts.

The park is absolutely crying out for some PR management, a revitalized and coherent brand identity that offers a concise message to a target demographic it actually understands and wishes to pursue, and for a highly effective digital marketing strategy to be implemented and activated to relay the above information to said target demographic to increase revenue and profitability.

The simple fact is the parks ownership takes the public for idiots, and is happy to sleep with anyone willing to put money in their pockets regardless of if they fit the target demographic or not, to rinse you of all you have and toss you aside ready for the next chump willing to pay £50 on the gate for Theme Park, sorry, Resort, sorry... Seaside Amusement Park access.

The magic has been lost at Blackpool because there's no love in it from management. It is all transactional. It's business sure, and do what you need to do to survive, and sometimes that means making hard decisions that arent popular. But the path the park has gone down is now leading it into a very tight corner between a rock and a hard place with so many rides reaching end of life, ridiculous pricing, an ever declining Blackpool as a town and tourist destination, and a sustained period of economic hardship - the worst of which is yet to come.

The clock is ticking, and I genuinely do not think the park can continue to operate as is by 2030. I think change has to happen within 2-3 years max to save the park's very existance now.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Great post, now can someone forward this onto management every week until it starts to sink in.

The morcambe and Southport parks is a very interesting subject and something from my interpretation that significantly affected pleasure beach’s growth and investment for a lot of years and in some extent to this day. As for morcambe it didn’t really take any money and always made a loss and was never going to be viable. Looking at accounts it looks like Its closure and sale at the time resulted in its debts being paid and prevented it affecting the pleasure beach going forward before it got out of hand. Southport is a different story. It did take more money than Morcambe but did lose a lot and had debts with a negative equity of around 8 million. As a stand alone business it would have gone bankrupt many years previous but was supported by Blackpool pleasure beach limited. I believe it only lasted so long and they tried as long as they did due to the effect its closure would have on pleasure beach accounts due to money being owed to pleasure beach. I’m sure no one wanted it to work more than they did if not only for this reason. However I guess eventually they realised it was better to close it and take the hit as loses were still mounting up and was just going to get worse. Its closure was very very costly to pleasure beach and resulted in Blackpool pleasure beach limited losing around 5.5 million that year. I think In total around 7.5 million in debt to pleasure beach was wiped off due to the closure. This could explain why there was little to no investment in the years prior and after the closure other than relocating infusion. In my opinion Southport should have been closed at the same time as Morcambe if not quite a few years before as this would have saved them millions. But easier to say with hindsight
I like the history of Southport Pleasureland. When Blackpool owned the place it had a Moroccan/Disney's Aladdin theme. Was this an attempt at rebranding and refreshing the park like Frontierland in Morecambe?

Yup.
I remember the change well, but the family had a hold on the place for a long time before that...a complex lease situation, but not for all the rides.
But they never owned the place, that was the real problem.
The lease was with the council, who always looked down on the park as a bit common.
Hence the long term lack of investment.

Back when the park was still doing well and they just opened Nickelodeon Land PB who have started looking at other areas and rides that needed attention. When times a good you invest for those times that are not so good.

Obviously they got Icon and Skyforce but where was the long term plan regarding new attractions? PB should aim to have something new every three years be it a flat ride or larger coaster investment.

For example there is no way Merlin would still be running a ride like Revolution, it would have been put out to pasture a few years ago. The park is now entering the perfect storm of declining attendance, broken rides and complete lack of self awareness what thier target market is.

I really hope they get River Caves running as that is one ride I don't think they can afford to loose let alone replace.

I doubt it. I highly doubt she wants the park to be shut down. She's surely well aware that there's too much money to be made from the park for it to be closed down for good.

I've observed BPB as a business for decades, even though I now visit irregularly. It has always been a fairly turbulent business model, more prone to the effects of weather or travel trends than other parks, but it is a strong brand and a rare, proper institution.

But to echo something @AT86 posted a few months ago, and with the insight of regulars here and elsewhere, there's a definite sense of BPB circling the drain like never before post-COVID. Without radical change or significant investment from the very top, I don't think the park will see the next few decades in its current form. And I don't think that radical investment is coming, whereas the change at the top seems even less likely.

The problem is that Icon crippled the park financially. It was a huge cost that saw zero return on investment, in fact they probably got less people into the park post Icon.

It has left them with no wriggle room for investment , which is probably why we have seen absolutely nothing new since Icon, and the unnecessary closure of Valhalla for over 3 years for what turned out to be mostly just the removal of costly effects and not much else.

I don't know how long the Icon loan was for but hopefully it has either now been paid off or there isn't long left .

So maybe the park will do something in the next couple of years. They know that they can't just sit on what they have so they will have to roll the dice again at some point. I just hope that the next big investment is a success. If it goes the way of Icon then the park will probably go bankrupt.

I still think it's the curse of the Wild Mouse. Nothing has gone right since it was demolished !

The problem is that Icon crippled the park financially. It was a huge cost that saw zero return on investment, in fact they probably got less people into the park post Icon.

It has left them with no wriggle room for investment , which is probably why we have seen absolutely nothing new since Icon, and the unnecessary closure of Valhalla for over 3 years for what turned out to be mostly just the removal of costly effects and not much else.

I don't know how long the Icon loan was for but hopefully it has either now been paid off or there isn't long left .

So maybe the park will do something in the next couple of years. They know that they can't just sit on what they have so they will have to roll the dice again at some point. I just hope that the next big investment is a success. If it goes the way of Icon then the park will probably go bankrupt.

I still think it's the curse of the Wild Mouse. Nothing has gone right since it was demolished !
They should have invested long before Icon. The park needed a new coaster at the time so I don't hold that against them, it's what came before and since that's the problem. Icon is still the last ride to open at the park

They should have invested long before Icon. The park needed a new coaster at the time so I don't hold that against them, it's what came before and since that's the problem. Icon is still the last ride to open at the park

To be fair to the park they were investing before Icon, Nick land was quite a big investment in 2011 , then there was the retheme of the gold mine to W&G in 2013 and Skyforce in 2015.

The park seemed to be doing reasonably well at that time. The whole park (including Nick Land) was open till 8pm throughout the summer months and it felt much busier when I visited. It also had far less ride downtime as far as I can remember.

Then came the removal of Wild Mouse and the addition of Icon. It's been a steady decline since, as a direct result of the failure of Icon

Last edited:
To be fair to the park they were investing before Icon, Nick land was quite a big investment in 2011 , then there was the retheme of the gold mine to W&G in 2013 and Skyforce in 2015.

The park seemed to be doing reasonably well at that time. The whole park (including Nick Land) was open till 8pm throughout the summer months and it felt much busier when I visited. It also had far less ride downtime as far as I can remember.

Then came the removal of Wild Mouse and the addition of Icon. It's been a steady decline since, as a direct result of the failure of Icon
I'm not sure that's totally accurate. Lots of real world events happened after 2018...

I'm not sure that's totally accurate. Lots of real world events happened after 2018...

The biggest world event that happened after 2018 was Covid. And that resulted in a big profit for the park after the 2021 season, due to government help for businesses and the year of the staycation. It is one of only 2 profitable years the park have had since 2008.

Without Covid the parks finances would probably be even worse.

I am sure Amanda blames Brexit, the war in Ukraine, the weather and probably too many seagulls, but Icon is the number one culprit without a doubt.

The biggest world event that happened after 2018 was Covid. And that resulted in a big profit for the park after the 2021 season, due to government help for businesses and the year of the staycation. It is one of only 2 profitable years the park have had since 2008.

Without Covid the parks finances would probably be even worse.

I am sure Amanda blames Brexit, the war in Ukraine, the weather and probably too many seagulls, but Icon is the number one culprit without a doubt.
1714062086840.png
(https://www.statista.com/statistics/933075/wage-growth-in-the-uk/)

2021 to mid 2023 wages dropped in real terms - less disposable income for people to spend on a theme park/amusement park/resort/glorified funfair.

Hate to back shakey up, but the park didn't have a single quiet day through the covid recovery...all those staycationers, with fat pockets that usually spent abroad, turned up for a Blackpool one off.
The park made good money through it all.

Pleasurebeech latest marketing is some random bloke telling people to use it or loose it. Sounds like a rather ominous / bizarre marketing strategy.

I think there is about 3.5 million left to pay on the icon. Nothing was paid in year ending March 2021 due to Covid and the remain debt was restructured £4.8 million over 9 years, so there will be 6 years left. Total loans were £16.5 million ( as on March 2023) The year before it was about 12.8. Reflecting in the £4 million spent on Valhalla and maybe towards something we don’t know about yet. ( Hard to tell just going by increase in assets but could just be extra asset value of Valhalla). As of March 2023 the Big blue has no debt of its own for the first time ever so will generate even more profit for them going forward. The level of debt for the holding company is similar to just before the investment in icon so a large investment is possible. Not only that but the company has positive equity of just short of 12 million, The highest amount in their history with the exception of 2021. All in all as of the last published accounts,the company isn’t in bad shape vs all the rumours. But in these challenging times they need to make sure they are careful and any investment has a clear return. I think something would have come sooner if it hasn’t been for Covid as although it gave them a very good year it also gave them a bad one. Plus Valhalla costing a lot more and taking a lot longer than initially expected
Pleasurebeech latest marketing is some random bloke telling people to use it or loose it. Sounds like a rather ominous / bizarre marketing strategy.
he wasn’t in Blackpool to advertise the pleasure beach. He was there for a segment for This Morning about a Campaign for Blackpool Rock as factories are closing due to China imports. They want some legislation passed so all rock sold In the UK has to be made in the UK. As part of the segment he rode icon whilst talking about rock and did clip the pleasure beach shared. It’s more a generic point he makes about supporting local/Uk Business’ with the lose them or lose them reference and why he says get a stick of rock. Half the rock factories have closed down over last few years even though Blackpool supplies 99% of seaside rock produced in the UK to seaside towns all round the UK. Slightly off subject but explains the context from his visit to Blackpool / Pleasure Beach

Are they still planning those airbnbs down where those empty units are near big one? I can imagine those being a nice earner for PB if they are still going ahead with it

Are they still planning those airbnbs down where those empty units are near big one? I can imagine those being a nice earner for PB if they are still going ahead with it
I haven’t seen anything about it recently, but after first putting in the planning application i did see some issues were raised after which they then submitted updated plans. To with where bedrooms would be, windows, green areas and do with how the boulevard would manage checkins, servicing, issues etc and a few other things. It looks like the planning application hasn’t been decided yet as it says undecided and if I’ve interpreted dates right on council website it’s due for a decision by 30th of this month. I think it’s a great idea and would look better than empty units with no other possible use. and a use that would bring in money. It would be a good few years to pay off costs and be in profit but I’m guessing it would be either a new separate company or part of the Boulevard Hotel accounts which are also currently not part of Pleasure Beach Holdings ltd.

So I have just had a look at historical prices at pleasure beach and it makes interesting reading.

In 2019. A peak day wristband when booked 7 days in advance was £25 (or £23 for off peak)

They also offered family tickets which gave a further discount, meaning an off peak day was £84 for a family of 4 or £63 for a family of 3. I couldn't find the info for peak day family tickets. But I would imagine they would only be a few pounds more judging by the peak and off peak single ticket prices. So probably around £90 for a family of four on a peak day (with up to 3 adults).

As an example comparison date....

Saturday the 11th of May 2019.
Ticket price £25. Park open 10am to 6pm (including nick land). No rides SBNO. Walk round pass for £10. (This was up from £6 the year before)
Family of four £90 (approximately) with up to 3 adults.

Saturday the 11th of May 2024.
Ticket price £43. Park open 10am to 5pm (Nick land closes at 4pm). Ice blast, River Caves and Grand Prix all SBNO. No Walk round pass.
Family of four £162 with two adults. £167 with three adults. (There are no family discount packages)

Now I know we have to account for inflation. But have peoples wages gone up 80% in 5 years ?

And you are getting less hours on park meaning the effective price per hour is approximately double that of 2019. And there are three less rides!

Last edited: