• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

Hey everyone, I'm just wanting to propose a question;

If BPB was sold to new owners, what would your opinion be on the park utilising an IP Agreement to retheme existing rides and theme new rides.

This would be for a variety of reasons;

1. Counteract the draw of Universal GB's IP themed rides circa 2030.

2. Update and modernise the park whilst retaining it's core seaside amusement park charm, but layering that with recognisable IP that is appealing to a younger audience to continue to draw in families.

This straddles the parks issue of being an amusement park and not a theme park, whilst to the GP appearing more like a theme park with IP themed attractions as opposed to IP themed areas.

We have already seen this with Nickelodean land of course, so it's nothing new exactly.

The core question is, does this impede on the parks heritage, and should BPB stay clear of entering an IP battle which also incurs licensing costs and go for an original, traditional seaside amusement park feel instead as a blast from the past.

3. We have seen that BPB has imported rides from sister parks previously, looking at Infusion here.

Whilst many rides are reaching the end of their lifespan, do you think it would be wise for a financially restricted park like BPB to look to the American parks to potentially import some aging, but very good attractions at a discounted rate given their shorter 10-15 year lifespans in the US? Think B&M inverts, no more SLC's don't worry.

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

If BPB was sold to new owners, what would your opinion be on the park utilising an IP Agreement to retheme existing rides and theme new rides.

2. Update and modernise the park whilst retaining it's core seaside amusement park charm, but layering that with recognisable IP that is appealing to a younger audience to continue to draw in families.

This straddles the parks issue of being an amusement park and not a theme park, whilst to the GP appearing more like a theme park with IP themed attractions as opposed to IP themed areas.

We have already seen this with Nickelodean land of course, so it's nothing new exactly.

The core question is, does this impede on the parks heritage, and should BPB stay clear of entering an IP battle which also incurs licensing costs and go for an original, traditional seaside amusement park feel instead as a blast from the past.

3. We have seen that BPB has imported rides from sister parks previously, looking at Infusion here.

Whilst many rides are reaching the end of their lifespan, do you think it would be wise for a financially restricted park like BPB to look to the American parks to potentially import some aging, but very good attractions at a discounted rate given their shorter 10-15 year lifespans in the US? Think B&M inverts, no more SLC's don't worry.

Thanks!
I don't think PB can ever compete with Universal and I don't think they should try. Pleasurebeech was always about a fun no frills day out and they need to get back to that.

If someone bought PB they would need very deep pockets. Several significant rides are nearing or at the end of life and you have ongoing maintenance of historical attractions many of which make the park unique.

IMO any new owner should have a solid 10 year plan for the park with ride removals and replacements.

Also:
Hot Ice needs to go, change the arena into a music / live performance venue which you can combine events with park tickets and hotel stays.

Sort out the pricing of tickets, remove the scanners and introduce promotional offers for quieter periods

Complete refresh of marketing and brand identity.

It's hard to imagine who would have the money and finances to do this and I don't see the park being sold atm

Regardless of IPs they just need attractions that people want to visit for.

Ancient rough wooden coasters will still have a draw for people who’ve grown up with the park and have that nostalgic connection, but there isn’t really anything to entice a new fan to visit bar credit hunting.

Thanks!
I think retheming the rides would just be a waste of money. Put that money towards an actual marketing team, sorting out the entry/ride scanners conundrum, building net new rides or demolishing the hot ice building instead.

Many many things to sort out or improve before retheming existing rides with IPs just for the sake of it.

It's an amusement park. It doesn't need much in the way of theming.

Ride sponsorship maybe . Surprised they didn't get a sponsor for Icon.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks!
The park should continue to embrace it's heritage and seaside roots but also continue to modernise. It can't stay frozen in time like most of the prom. On the subject of iP's it's a mixed bag in my opinion. I don't mind Nickelodean Land despite it's obvious aging but I like the current themes of the existing rides. A total retheme of River Caves, Alice and Ghost Train with iP themes would honestly be a disaster waiting to happen and would obviously not go down well with both the GP and park fans and enthuasists

Regardless of IPs they just need attractions that people want to visit for.

Ancient rough wooden coasters will still have a draw for people who’ve grown up with the park and have that nostalgic connection, but there isn’t really anything to entice a new fan to visit bar credit hunting.
Nostalgia is more or less what the park has always thrived on imo now that I think of it

I don't think PB can ever compete with Universal and I don't think they should try. Pleasurebeech was always about a fun no frills day out and they need to get back to that.

If someone bought PB they would need very deep pockets. Several significant rides are nearing or at the end of life and you have ongoing maintenance of historical attractions many of which make the park unique.

IMO any new owner should have a solid 10 year plan for the park with ride removals and replacements.

Also:
Hot Ice needs to go, change the arena into a music / live performance venue which you can combine events with park tickets and hotel stays.

Sort out the pricing of tickets, remove the scanners and introduce promotional offers for quieter periods

Complete refresh of marketing and brand identity.

It's hard to imagine who would have the money and finances to do this and I don't see the park being sold atm
I personally completely agree with everything said here.

Perhaps it would be wise for any potential investors to wait until the park runs itself into the ground for a bargain when the park is desperate. I genuinely think that is the only way will change hands is when there is nothing left and current ownership have filed for bankruptcy.

Regarding Hot Ice, I believe it would be absolutely essential for the park to find secondary sources of revenue outside of operational hours. One thing Blackpool has always been known for is Comedy, and a modern venue of sufficient capacity to hold comedy, music and differing events would allow people on park outside of ride hours. As you mentioned, combine this with the hotel and you have a winning combination. I would certainly go to a comedy gig or music gig, stay over and visit the park the next day over a Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun easily for the right price of course.

Ride access I've discussed already, but wristbands of varying ridership levels with non-rider access and half-day access even only during extended summer hours should vastly increase park attendances.

I don't think there's any chance of coherant and substantial brand and marketing efforts so long as Mandy is there posting screenshots of #blueskie on twitter.

I'm sure there are investment firms keeping tabs on BPB's current operations and finances that believe they can turn it into a profitable asset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nostalgia is more or less what the park has always thrived on imo now that I think of it
I think this was at the heart of the question I posed regarding IP.

How do you entice an iPad generation to ask mum and dad to take them to BPB?

The quick win is you sign an IP deal and they want to ride their favourite IP's rollercoaster, and ask to visit a park that they never would have paid attention to otherwise.

Let's make an example and say you sign a licensing agreement with Warner Bro's and retheme the Big One to Superman: Pleasure Beach South Shore Lancashire Resort Escape.

It's very marketable at least in the right context with the right IP whilst providing a new lease of life into aging rides whilst you increase revenues in the short term to replace them and phase out the IP as that new generation visits over 5 years and builds their own nostalgia for the park.

I am nostalgic for the BPB I visited from around 99-08. I'm nostalgic for Mr Funshine, the old branding, pay per ride, wristbands, the log flume, the old nash trains getting so much air time as a child next to my father keeping the lap bar high.

I think the park should be themed to a classic 1920's seaside amusement park with bulb lit signage, period costumes for staff, get the chaser lights back and really make it this abstract physical experience you can't get anywhere else. It should be a time machine, a place where time stands still for the day where you put the phones and ipads away, long for a time gone by where you can bond as a family without the technological distractions and embrace some good old fashioned fun.

Continuing that theme then, you would wish to see any ride upgrades or replacements to fit with that family theme, with a unique but traditional feel even if they are modern rides.

There are plenty of low cost wins that provide those smaller doses of fun, one attraction I really miss are the Superbowl Dodgems.

I think this was at the heart of the question I posed regarding IP.

How do you entice an iPad generation to ask mum and dad to take them to BPB?

The quick win is you sign an IP deal and they want to ride their favourite IP's rollercoaster, and ask to visit a park that they never would have paid attention to otherwise.

Let's make an example and say you sign a licensing agreement with Warner Bro's and retheme the Big One to Superman: Pleasure Beach South Shore Lancashire Resort Escape.

It's very marketable at least in the right context with the right IP whilst providing a new lease of life into aging rides whilst you increase revenues in the short term to replace them and phase out the IP as that new generation visits over 5 years and builds their own nostalgia for the park.

I am nostalgic for the BPB I visited from around 99-08. I'm nostalgic for Mr Funshine, the old branding, pay per ride, wristbands, the log flume, the old nash trains getting so much air time as a child next to my father keeping the lap bar high.

I think the park should be themed to a classic 1920's seaside amusement park with bulb lit signage, period costumes for staff, get the chaser lights back and really make it this abstract physical experience you can't get anywhere else. It should be a time machine, a place where time stands still for the day where you put the phones and ipads away, long for a time gone by where you can bond as a family without the technological distractions and embrace some good old fashioned fun.

Continuing that theme then, you would wish to see any ride upgrades or replacements to fit with that family theme, with a unique but traditional feel even if they are modern rides.

There are plenty of low cost wins that provide those smaller doses of fun, one attraction I really miss are the Superbowl Dodgems.
That's cool and everything but I don't think the park should go back to being something it hasn't been for 25 or so years.

Last edited by a moderator:
But for the last 25 years the park has been slowly failing.
So what should it be?
And talk of further use of the ice drome...
Have any of you been in the place in the last few years???
Ninety year old rodent infested shed, with very very poor fifty year old plumbing...that smells badly.
Other uses...tricky when it is so bloody cold in there!
It already has secondary use with public skating every day, and other private events (end of season Rangers party anyone), but remains a massive cost to the park due to the unpopular ice show, that has been a commercial failure for at least thirty years...the consultants said so.
It needs pulling down, simple.
The park owner needs to sell up and move on, while she still has an actual park to sell.
She has zero interest in the park, and it shows.

After watching Fallout, I think re-theming the whole park to a post-apocalyptic ‘golden era’ would be quite quick and seamless. Outdated Staff uniforms, music hall soundtrack and a pencil tache on Wallace would do it.

They’ve got the core tenets of 100yr old rides and neglect in place

So what should it be?
Ninety year old rodent infested shed, with very very poor fifty year old plumbing...that smells badly.
It already has secondary use with public skating every day, and other private events (end of season Rangers party anyone), but remains a massive cost to the park due to the unpopular ice show, that has been a commercial failure for at least thirty years...the consultants said so.
The park owner needs to sell up and move on, while she still has an actual park to sell.
Some very valid points here. If they brought the arena up to a decent standard it could be a nice earner for the park but that won't happen while an ice show takes up all the peak season slots.

Look at what smaller parks like Southport and Dreamland Margate do in the summer where they host music events at the parks. I'm sure they are nice earners over peak season.

You could easily have one of those 90s revival events on at the arena and tie it in with park entry and hotel stays as a package deal for example. Gets more people into the park and brings in revenue to other parts of the business. If the arena is knackered then that's down to poor management again and lack of investment. PB has all the assets to do more but choses not to.

Last edited:
So what should it be?
So even when the fan favourite Geoffrey Thompson was in charge the park was failing?

So what should it be?
I wonder if there's a world where she sells the park and hotels but keeps the arena and the Hot Ice brand. The money she'd get from the park sale would allow her to run Hot Ice forever.

The park has been on a downtrend ever since Valhalla, which was almost exactly 25 years ago.
Back when GT was in charge. If the park was so great under his control why did it start failing? Maybe he didn't realise Valhalla was a bit too out of his league for the park

Yup, Valhalla was built in the days of pay per ride...wristbands on POP meant that costs shot up overall.
All those punters running round in circles to get value with "another go".
The arena is beyond "doing up"...it would be cheaper to pull it down than to do another dozen fixes.
Anyone on here actually sat in the Arena seating???
It was built for 1930's bottoms and legs.
Both are much bigger nowadays, generally.