• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

I believe it has gone to one of the Wonderla parks in India?
Wouldn’t surprise me. Cheap enough to ship from the Middle East and their H&S regs aren’t as stringent so could get away without some of the work.

In terms of Beach, I have been racking my brain as to what would work there - I thought something like a Mack BigDipper incorporating a vertical drop could be interesting. Compact, visually appealing and with the right trains can have reasonably good capacity.

Financing one with things as they are though at the place makes it a bit of a pipe dream.

Episode 6 and just arrived at the infamous Keith "I'll bash your head in" moment. I'd forgot that was the reason i was watching it in the first place so was a delightful surprise.

Also i noticed JR said "i started work at 730am, it's now 7pm which is almost 12 hours, by the time we close tonight it'll be 18 hours" and later "we'll go to 1am tonight till there's nobody on the park". Also Keith made a joke that "he's going to go till 2am and put all the clocks back for another hour". So i think that's pretty conclusive on Blackpools history of late night openings!

So sad its over already. I reckon they could make a 2024 version at Adventure Island with similar levels of chaos and characters, might pitch it to Netflix.

Pleasure Beach was definitely more authentic and fly-on-the-wall than what we'd call reality TV today, but it still has it's artifice.

For example, the IRA calling in a bomb threat as well as JR subsequently making the decision not to evacuate the park, did take place. However, it happened to occur on the one weekend during the Illuminations that the filming crew were working on a project elsewhere. The director couldn't believe he'd missed it, but JR was up for recreating the stress and uncertainty to camera. It's a great performance, and the episode itself is particularly compellingly edited.
Worth saying that a whole load of BBC production guidelines have been brought in since the late 90s around “safeguarding viewer trust” meaning this kind of recreation would be strictly forbidden.

Just for fun, on the current ride locations / footprint, and having somewhat realistic budget expectations for each location seperately, what rides would you replace the following with?

1. Revolution
2. Infusion
3. Ice Blast
4. Grand Prix
5. Avalanche
6. Steeple Chase

I'll leave my answers below:

1. An Intamin Impulse Coaster (requiring removal of the dodgems) would be a perfect like-for-like replacement that would be a popular mild thrill for the GP. Think Possessed at Dorney Park.

Height Restriction: 1.3m

2. A new Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster, retaining water-based theming with a smooth ride that is accessible for the whole family. I am balancing the removal of a more intense thrill ride here with others on this list elsewhere. Think Na Fianna Force at Emerald Park.

Height Restriction: 1.2m

3. Remodelling the area slightly, I would introduce an Intamin Gyro Swing with a Viking Theme. Think Loke at Liseberg.

4. Demolition of the entire structure, with an S&S Rotating drop tower residing where the spiral and station offering 360 degree views across the park, Blackpool and the Irish Sea. However, I do think the freespin carriages offer a more marketable thrill ride, but this is more a balance for family thrills.

As for the rest of the site, I will combine this with the next ride.

5. Removing Grand Prix and Avalanche, with only the spiral section of GP being utilised for a new drop tower, leaves a lot of space for a new rollercoaster. This is where I would place a Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster as our new centerpiece attraction. Utilising the connection with Mack, I think this would be an amazing addition for the GP and Thoosies alike with international appeal.

6. S&S Steeplechase Coaster. Why re-invent the wheel when you can modernise it.

Height Restriction: 1.1m

Last edited:
Episode 6 and just arrived at the infamous Keith "I'll bash your head in" moment. I'd forgot that was the reason i was watching it in the first place so was a delightful surprise.

Also i noticed JR said "i started work at 730am, it's now 7pm which is almost 12 hours, by the time we close tonight it'll be 18 hours" and later "we'll go to 1am tonight till there's nobody on the park". Also Keith made a joke that "he's going to go till 2am and put all the clocks back for another hour". So i think that's pretty conclusive on Blackpools history of late night openings!

So sad its over already. I reckon they could make a 2024 version at Adventure Island with similar levels of chaos and characters, might pitch it to Netflix.
The big difference then it was just tickets so many paid per ride or brought a book of tickets and if the queue lines were all full they would extend the operating hours.
Now with 90% of daily visitors pre booking they know unless most of them are eating on site and buying stuff in the shops/ride photos then they not bothered with SNBO rides and closing at 5pm.

Just for fun, on the current ride locations / footprint, and having somewhat realistic budget expectations for each location seperately, what rides would you replace the following with?

1. Revolution
2. Infusion
3. Ice Blast
4. Grand Prix
5. Avalanche
6. Steeple Chase

1. An Intamin Impulse Coaster (requiring removal of the dodgems) would be a perfect like-for-like replacement that would be a popular mild thrill for the GP. Think Possessed at Dorney Park.

2. A new Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster, retaining water-based theming with a smooth ride that is accessible for the whole family. I am balancing the removal of a more intense thrill ride here with others on this list elsewhere. Think Na Fianna Force at Emerald Park.

3. Remodelling the area slightly, I would introduce an Intamin Gyro Swing with a Viking Theme. Think Loke at Liseberg.

4. Demolition of the entire structure, with an S&S Rotating drop tower residing where the spiral and station offering 360 degree views across the park, Blackpool and the Irish Sea. However, I do think the freespin carriages offer a more marketable thrill ride, but this is more a balance for family thrills.

5. Removing Grand Prix and Avalanche, with only the spiral section of GP being utilised for a new drop tower, leaves a lot of space for a new rollercoaster. This is where I would place a Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster as our new centerpiece attraction. Utilising the connection with Mack, I think this would be an amazing addition for the GP and Thoosies alike with international appeal.

Ambitious plans! Still you never know, Hot Ice might have a really good season this year.

1. Revolution
2. Infusion
3. Ice Blast
4. Grand Prix
5. Avalanche
6. Steeple Chase

Hehe connection with mack. Is that connection why another coaster is having so many problems..... That van driver knew.... Lol. 1ft how dare they

BPB app reporting a 120-minute queue for Big One at the moment. I'm reliability informed it's a one train service.

Surely they must have known it'd be that busy in advance
This led me to ridetimes, you naughty person...
Yup, two hours, mainly because most of the other rides seem to be closed, including skyforce, rev, steeplechase, dodgems, avalanche and flyer, on top of the usual stuff.
Bit poor for the schoolkids, hours queue for Icon, or two for the Big One.
All the woodies are on ten minutes though, no taste schoolkids.