• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Random question, but interested to see which one people think looks better and is more suited to a theme/amusement park environment?

31190812994_b68219cb14_z.jpg

28608973507_bcd911bef7_z.jpg

Thanks for the Vikingar info, guys! Out of interest, is it the ride at photos 5, 6, 7 and 8 on the RCDB page?

Yes that is Vikingar (Water splash ride). I've always classed these as a coaster, (as well as log flumes). Whether it's class as a cred or not, I can't say

Random question, but interested to see which one people think looks better and is more suited to a theme/amusement park environment?

I prefer the 1st one (top pic)

The new Coasters is a colossal improvement over the old one, in my opinion. If it weren't for Icon this year, I would genuinely consider it their best investment in over a decade.

The only problem I have with the new Coasters is that it is devoid of colour. Call it trendy, but it’s the greyest place I’ve ever been in. Just look at the patio.

Oh yeah, they also removed all the nods to BPB history and replaced them with nothing, which is similarly disappointing.

Other than that I approve.

Pretty sure I first rode Vikingar...which was renamed from the water chute to match valhalla when it opened...at Belle Vue in Manchester.
Very fast drop.

Regarding coasters, the appearance is a lot better IMO now, it's a lot more modern and trendy. The terrace is also my favourite place to drink (the atmosphere at FY4 has been ruined altogether by the changes this year) yet from here I can watch 7 of the parks 10 coasters plus the Express and Skyforce. Perfect.

Food wise, I have only eaten there once and found a hair in my meal. I complained and was instantly refunded, however I would like to see hair nets worn going forward. That's pretty basic stuff surly?

I would have preferred to see a few photos of the historic coasters kept though. BPB has an amazing collection in the archive of the Dipper, Coaster, National, Mouse and Reel to me they should be displayed.

As for the Vikingar, definitely a coaster to me, one could argue a hybrid? (Who needs RMC!?) Wooden track with a steel structure. Not an amazing ride but well worth a go, and I do miss it. It looked stunning at night too.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about Vikingar, however I am 99.9% sure that I went on it as a child, so bonus credit there!

The new Coasters for me, especially with the direction BPB's styling around the park is heading. It's much classier and less cheesy than the previous design.

:)

@Coaster I think the red design looks old fashioned, without being retro cool. The overall dining experience is better now and the patio environment works well.

Still amazes me they pay someone to stand outside.

Everyone is to their own.

I like the colour red, the first one jumps out at me and I do like the coaster car on top of the building. It's a pleasure beach and the themeing of the first one is fitting, I find it very quirky (not cheesy)

The second one may be classy, but it just look plain boring to me.

At the end of the day the proof of the pudding restaurant is in the eating ;)

This link is in no way anything to do with me, but I found this video years ago, well worth a watch for anyone who wants to see old school BPB.

It includes (if you look closely) how quick the Avalanche can send the trains, old Grand Prix cars, Log Flume, and for anyone who doesn't know what the Vikingar was, it's on towards the end too (in its Water Chute days) along with the Monster and Noahs Ark.

I somehow always missed Vikingar (presumably because many of my first few trips to Blackpool were in April time, notoriously the worst time in the year to go near Valhalla), I do seemingly recall it feeling very tucked out of the way and easily missed which might go someway to explaining it's spite...

I somehow always missed Vikingar (presumably because many of my first few trips to Blackpool were in April time, notoriously the worst time in the year to go near Valhalla), I do seemingly recall it feeling very tucked out of the way and easily missed which might go someway to explaining it's spite...

Yeah it had a very rough run towards the end of its time. Valhalla construction blocked it from view almost completely during 98/99 unless you were on the Cableway or the Monorail, and after that it stood little chance with Valhalla right next to it.

It was one of the three rides to close at the end of the 2000 season, however it remained, rusting away in the corner. It reopened for weekends and busy times during 2002, and fully opened in 2003-4 but then closed for good after the 2004 season.

Yeah it had a very rough run towards the end of its time. Valhalla construction blocked it from view almost completely during 98/99 unless you were on the Cableway or the Monorail, and after that it stood little chance with Valhalla right next to it.

It was one of the three rides to close at the end of the 2000 season, however it remained, rusting away in the corner. It reopened for weekends and busy times during 2002, and fully opened in 2003-4 but then closed for good after the 2004 season.

I thought it existed a lot longer than 2004, but my memory is pretty hazy of a park I had only visited twice on cold rainy Aprils by the time it had closed...

And some of us very oldies remember the site of Vikingar before it came over from Belle Vue...lovely set of "speed" boats, that chugged round a sepentine canal channel at about two miles per hour.
One of my favourites at the time...a motorised engine that I was allowed to drive while still at primary school.
Haven't seen a picture of them in years...
Dippy, come on lad, get searching!

Rob, I'm sure I've been on similar Speed (!) Boats as a kid, but not those ones, probably Skeggy or somewhere like that. Also have happy memories of a twisting, winding car track that was just outside Bottons funfair (beyond the Zyklon coaster side of the fair entrance, not the pier side). We used to call them 'the police cars' as kids, even though there would have been assorted vehicles.

I'd be very surprised if I have a pic of the BPB speedboats anywhere, beyond a tiny image on a postcard of the entrance anyway.

In other news, last time in the Icon queue, I overheard a bloke even older and greyer than your good self, talking about going on The Bobs at Belle Vue. I had to shake his hand. That is hands down the No.1 coaster in the UK I'd love to have ridden. And to think you missed it by a few months. . .

Last edited:
Old footage of BPB really demonstrates how odd it looks without the PMBO. Has any ride ever defined a park quite so heavily?

I also really liked Water Chute/Vikingar. One of those bizarro, quirky attractions that it felt existed simply to waste your B or C tickets on, or rather, simply because it could.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.